+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pesky Riftstalkers in Whitefall, and how to deal with them

Plane Touched

Default Pesky Riftstalkers in Whitefall, and how to deal with them

There is a semi-new, rapidly growing breed of rogue running amock in the warfronts these days, specifically in Whitefall Steppes. This rare breed has the ability to take your stone while 4 people are beating on him, zip across the map immune to snares/roots/stuns/silences, you name it. He wins the game for the other side, or maybe your side, every time he sets foot in the instance.

As my friends and I started finding this occur more often, we decided to try and counter it.

I roll warden/justicar/templar, a semi unkillable cleric. my buddy rolls a warrior, defensive in nature, not sure of exact spec. The two of us at the beginning on the battle go straight for the stone. I pick it up. This is the trickiest part of the game, and will determine if we win or lose. It is imperative that I get the stone, and we cause the tricky rogue to drop his on his way back, ensuring we get the first point.

I keep soothing stream, healing spray, healing flood, healing showers, and orbs on myself at all times. I can escape roots with break free or the warden ability. I silence healers along the way headed to my stone. When we meet in the middle my warrior uses guard on me, uses hold the line, and phalanyx. I can have 7-8 people beating on me at this point, but I will not go down. If I make it through the line, I will be alright. Next goal is dropping their stone carrier. Knockbacks are key. It will be up to the rest of the individuals in the game to drop that stone carrier, but chances are I will not go down, so at worst we are going to have a tie.

Now assuming I am able to score, this is going to put a fire under the pesky riftstalkers butt. He is now intent on getting our stone and scoring/winning the game for his side. This can be countered in one of two ways, one is more risky, the 2nd is safer.

The safe method is to camp your stone. The riftstalker will pop defer death in order to grab the stone. This makes him immune to damage. which is why you can never seem to get him off your stone. The key here is knockback + aoe fear. He will not be able to get your stone if you use these two methods.

The other way to combat this rogue is to wait outside of the spawn point. make a macro that is target *name*. as soon as he spawns, u will target him. Do not ever let him get near your stone. Make it your number one priority. He does not have infinite stealth. If you manage to drop him relatively close to the spawn point, you can attempt to grab the stone and repeat your opening number. If you fail and die, thats ok, because now you are back at your stone, ready to protect against the just respawned pesky riftstalker.

This post was made in good fun, and to show that there is a way to combat these guys. This is also to get away from the whiny style of these forums, and promote some strategizing and critical thinking that is dreadfully needed here. Have another class you have figured out how to dominate, list your specs and story, i would love to read

Soulwalker

I as a rogue who specs into riftstalker to run the flag whole heartedly agree with this post. I'm tired of people complaining that my spec in broken and needs to be nerfed. A good group can easily stop a riftstalker in Whitefall. You need knockbacks fears and slows and a good defensive team.

Another tip is to make sure you always grab the buff orbs when they appear. Do not leave these up long enough for a rogue to get the flag and then the speed boost.

So what you are saying is that they will be unstoppable after 1.2?

Break Free - Defer Death.

Well, thanks for typing all of that out though...I guess.

Plane Touched

Not to be snarky either but this will never happen in PuGs...just sayin heh. Immunities need to just make it so you can't interact with Objective and I'd be fine. They can keep everything else with their mobility survival, but the immune pick up is a brainless mouthbreathing move. And don't compare it to damage shields, learn to CC them if you can't pop the shield in the span of a pick up..immunities you don't really have much of an option. I've tried pushbacks so many times only to get a "miss" or "immune", and as stated above, with the CC changes, "immune" is gonna be showin up alot more.

I will remember to try this out when I am rank 6 and have a pocket healer to protect.

In the meantime, I will strip naked and dance where my shard should be.
    Don't mind me, I'm just being an idiot.

What you did there, I see it.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Tugrath View Post
    I will remember to try this out when I am rank 6 and have a pocket healer to protect.

In the meantime, I will strip naked and dance where my shard should be.
    I lol'd.

Yah the immunity thing is going to change pvp pretty much entirely. More healers will pop up. It will be harder to kill everyone. Whitefall will more than likely turn into a turtle similar to wsg in wow.

either way it is working for me now. :P

Anyone have advice for the pyro/dom duo's? I ran into a few last night and man they made me mad. I detaunt the pyro, and he blasts away like the unskilled player he is. The dom on the other hand, has got it down. he is draining my mana like there is no tomorrow. I can live through the pyro and the dom, until I run out of mana. How to combat this dynamic duo? The two of them can completely control the codex. I can silence the dom, but in my warden spec, I cant kill the pyro in that amount of time. Not to mention to attack the pyro means detaunt is no longer active. I could try to kill the dom, but they are usually lock or chloro and can self heal.

any advice?

aux

That's too complicated. Nerf plx.
    I'm so BORED

Sez

Tl:dr Make sure rogues can't do anything better than anyone thread.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    whoops you missed it there buddy. i did not whine. i did not complain. i did not ask for nerfs. i offered a counter to what i think is a good role for the rogue class. i was happy to see that rogues have found a place in pvp where they can accel at. i also believe that there should be a counter to it. is there something fundamentally wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Wahh, wahhh, QQQQQQQ. You must have too many tears in your eyes to actually read the post.

+ Reply to Thread