+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please change the "Killing Blow" to "Killing Damage"

Default Please change the "Killing Blow" to "Killing Damage"

Please change the "Killing Blow" to "Killing Damage", it is annoying to take someone from 0 damage to 98% damage and someone does a AOE and they get the killing blow.

It should show who did the most damage to that person rather than who got luck on the last hit.

No skill on getting lucky, but beating down a player's health does require some skill... unless they are afk.
    I don't like mean people, rude people and people who are not nice.

Herp Derp : 1. An expression used when you yourself, has done somthing extremely stupid and dopey. 2. A phrase said by idiotic morons who think they are cooler then they actually are. *Dictionary definition

Do you really see the bars as deficits of health natively?

it takes a lot of combat awareness, particularly in larger fights, to know who is beating on who for how much damage, so that you can switch between targets that are near death to steal the killing blows.

i for one, applaud such skilled players for their contribution to the fight.

Shadowlander

The OP idea would not work.

Simply put, it is much easier to knock someone's hp from 100% down to 40%, than it is from 40% to 0%. This is because despite the fact there is less hp to burn through, once at 40ish%, they are likely to get heals, pop near-invulnerability cooldowns, etc.

Now, I understand many of these killing blows are caused by a random aoe or dot that didn't have the intent of killing that person (just doing damage). But I imagine most of it is not due to that, but due to people actually intending to put that target down.

Further, having a stat that recognizes the productivity of putting the killing blow on someone is valuable. Ultimately it doesn't really matter how much damage someone sustains, unless they actually die. I can't even fathom how many times I have ran in, started fighting, got focused, then fell back a bit, escaping with 10-15% hp, healed up real quick, and got back into the fight. All that focus fire and damage on me was essentially wasted. For however many seconds, they were beating on me, while my team was beating on them, and they didn't even get the kill. It was all for naught (in fact, they are worse off for having wasted all that time dpsing me, and taking damage themselves). Had someone stepped up and maneuvered to get the kill on me, it would have made it all worth it.

I think whoever makes that extra effort to deliver that crushing blow should be rewarded. Even if it is just a meaningless statistic at the end of the match.

Plane Walker

Does it matter who does the killing blow in terms of favor? If no, this is a very low priority demand, if it is ever granted.

On a sidenote, possibly related - depending on if you had your coffee yet...

We have a guy in our group on one of the other shards who is always bragging about his damage and his number of KBs. Yep, in each and every single WF we lose while he is standing off to the side racking up KBs and doing damage... oh wait.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Delphya View Post
    Please change the "Killing Blow" to "Killing Damage", it is annoying to take someone from 0 damage to 98% damage and someone does a AOE and they get the killing blow.

It should show who did the most damage to that person rather than who got luck on the last hit.

No skill on getting lucky, but beating down a player's health does require some skill... unless they are afk.
    Who gets the killing blow matters?

Really?

Of course, how else am I going to measure the contribution of my epeen to the goal of every Warfront? The objective is "Kill the most", right? I follow objective!

Team game. Your "team" --a collection of people that share your goal and common interest-- is working "together" to beat the other "team". You should thank them for the assist and move on to THE F'in OBJECTIVE instead of standing in the middle of the map in a bloody orgy of skill spam
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    Who gets the killing blow matters?

Really?
    Last edited by Kayden Fox; 05-04-2011 at 05:29 AM.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

Rift Disciple

Herp-derp, OP.
    Guess why Killing Blows and Damage Done is two seperate stats? If you're interested in who's doing loads of damage, probably putting pressure on enemy healers, you look at damage done. If you're interested in who most often does your team the great service of actually killing something, you look at KB's.

I have no idea what "killing damage" even means. Damage done that was not eventually healed? Damage done to a person during the timeframe between the last time he had 100% health, and his time of death? Damage done to people who die before yourself?

I simply do not believe that mindless AoE'ers are topping KB's, unless they would do similarly well on "killing damage".

Ok, maybe this was not such a good idea.
    I don't like mean people, rude people and people who are not nice.

Herp Derp : 1. An expression used when you yourself, has done somthing extremely stupid and dopey. 2. A phrase said by idiotic morons who think they are cooler then they actually are. *Dictionary definition

Rift Disciple

While I could care less about who gets the killing blow in a WF as I am all about the win (the main reason I am a healer), there actually is some impact as it controls who gets the guild perk activation reward (like blood thirsty and half the other left side guild perks). At least this is how I understand the perk system.

On that note, it would be nice to see the causal action which causes those perks to activate more useful to folks spending the gold to get the consumables in question...

T

+ Reply to Thread