+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVP balance and the priority system of newly released MMO's

Rift Disciple

Default PVP balance and the priority system of newly released MMO's

It seems that people never understand why mmo's are initially set up with a priority system on who should be killed first. (before the QQ'ing makes them zergfests). In several shooters after a lot of experience I am able to kill entire teams by myself (and easily I might add). However, mmo's have a much lower solo skill cap (there still is some basic skill required, however this can be negated by gear differences anyway). Where tactics and skill come in with MMO's is in team based play. This is currently due to several class archetypes and a priority system (I would be happy to see new ideas, however currently this is what makes sense to developers).

Warriors can either spec to do good sustained dps while being focused last or near last (if the other team is playing smart) or be a huge pain to the mana inclined classes (in this case they may move up higher in the preffered priority system if played very well). I have witnessed warriors who are exceptional in these roles on a consistent basis, however to do this a carefully planned spec is required as well as more than just running up to nearest target and pressing 2 macros (which is all 90% of warriors do from my experience and talking with them). A good warrior will do as much as he can while the other team ff’s the healers and mages. If the warrior is ff’d first then the warrior’s team should have killed some of the other team by the time the warrior dies (and while this is boring for the warrior it did help out the team).

Rogues have several roles in this game. One they can be a bard (an exceptional pvp class if specc’d and played properly ( I have one rogue that specs bard occasionally that I would take into wf’s before the average 2 clerics or pyros, however again most bards spec horribly and are worthless at 50).) Another is the heavy melee dps which can be good but is lacking against certain wf set ups (that’s why have more than 1 role if want to be serious in pvp). Another is the poison/dmg mit/hide based rogue that can kill almost anyone one on one but falls behind if there are healers. And finally is the ranged rogue that also falls behind if the target is being healed, however if the target is not being heavily healed this player can use distance, speed, AND LOS!!! to their advantage and kill almost anyone (or at least never die). The rogue is also supposed to be later in the priority of killing (unless if bard or if melee based trying to burst down a healer or well specc’d mage. By not being a priority a rogue is given more time to cause havoc as well.

Clerics duh (there are dps clerics but if the other side has healers the lack of burst is usually not that helpful except maybe 1 out of 1mil and when all evenly geared this will prob fade away lol.) These tie with mages and often surpass mages on the priority list. since they are high on the priority list they need to be good while they are alive (and therefore earning their spot high on the priority list lol). if they are not ff’d then they should be able to help destroy the other team (by healing their team) and the other side deserves to lose. now having said this there may still be some issues with high ranked clerics and their near invincibility for a time which is a little over the top and does take away from tactical gameplay.

Mages are very dependent on spec but what most ppl complain about is the pyro. If the pyro is dmg mit specc’d the pyro will never kill a good healer that is the same pvp rank as the pyro (low pvp ranked clerics are weak but we’re talking endgame here). Pyro’s are high on the priority system and only definitely surpassed by clerics in certain occasions (if being pocket healed for instance). If the pyro is burst specc’d then the pyro will go down fast through ff or through killing healer then pyro. The pyro’s job is to be a MAJOR threat while left alive and therefore requiring good teamwork to silence this threat. If the pyro dies too easy and is unhealable then this threat is nonexistent and any idiot charging and pressing 2 macros can kill them or any zerg can just run in pressing a couple macros.

The priority system is important because this is one of the only areas where numbers and gear doesn’t completely decide a match. In situations where people prioritize incorrectly a much smaller force can overcome a much larger force (therefore team skill comes into play). Does this system suffer from problems such as a team of half clerics and half pyros being pretty deadly? Sure. Does this system cause imbalances in one on one for very small numbers matches? Sure. However a team of only clerics and a couple pyros or only pryos is actually pretty weak (I have seen this from personal experience as well as it being obvious.). IMO the benefits outweigh the negatives and most game developers agree with this from the start. If you want to argue with me properly then you should at least acknowledge this first.

This can be seen as certain classes being more powerful than others but really the best premades will have all 4 callings performing their different roles well. After “balancing” many games become straight zergfests. When no class poses a larger IMMEDIATE threat than any other class during teamplay then all matches become numbers games and kill whoever is in front of you matches (or just /assist matches).

If a game wants to make other roles be the priority roles then that is fine, however there needs to be some sort of priority system in mmo’s for skill to matter. There may be some developer that finds another way for skill to matter but for now this is all we have.

In conclusion, as is, Rift has good classes and specs for all 4 callings that can be great at their intended roles and these roles work well for smaller teams to beat larger teams. BTW have you witnessed several good melee’s with a couple good healers and how much killing they can do (some of the best premades roll this way)? As it is now a good team of 5 can beat a team of 10 even if both are made up of the same classes in the same proportion, however if the difference in level of immediate threat certain specs pose is removed then this will no longer be the case. Matches will be gear and numbers based to an even larger extent. Remember this is immediate threat difference and by this I mean the warrior or rogue poses the same level of threat overall if the other team prioritizes correctly, and really even if the other team doesn’t since if they attack the warrior first then the warrior will be well healed and his team will be busy destroying the other team if the warrior’s team plays properly (therefore even if the warrior dies early while not doing as much dmg he still posed a great threat as a well functioning meat shield and as pvp’s version of a tank).

I know this will really not reach anyone who actually needs to understand it but at least I did my part to save rift before it eventually becomes a zergfest.

So what you're telling me is mages should take priority over clerics over rogues over warriors and that skill and experience are attributes of an excellent player. Thank you, sir.

I'm going to ask you up front to avoid using so many parenthesis. In using one after every sentence, and a couple times even as a follow up to an expression, you made it As Hard To Read As Someone Capitalizing The First Letter Of Every Word.

Rift Disciple

No. I said that without a healer the biggest burst class should be focused first but if the burst class has a healer then the healer should be focused first.

Btw i don't use them when writing to adults, however on gaming forums most ppl will look for any point they believe is stated wrong and then write off your entire argument. Most of the time they won't even read your next sentence.
    Last edited by Raika25; 05-03-2011 at 02:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread