+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Developers: Why are you avoiding THREE Faction option(s)?

Default Developers: Why are you avoiding THREE Faction option(s)?

I seriously do not understand why developers dumbed down to two factions for MMO's. With '9' Souls to choose from, you could have put some of those options into another faction. Hell, you only developed four races to choose from, I doubt that design took much effort.

An Idea:

Defiant - Have four Races with four Specs variations (Heals, Support, DPS, Tank)
    Guardians - Have four Races with four Specs variations (Heals, Support, DPS, Tank)
    <Third Faction> - Have four Races with four Spec variations (Heals, Support, DPS, Tank)

Such specs can be any variation of the current, however, limiting the "type" of class, simply put. Meaning, if you were a healer, you only really have 4 different healing options to play with (i.e. HoTs, Absorb, Cast-able Heals and perhaps, a Buff/Shearing spec).

- This will enable more players to roll multiple characters, and not just one, since, one can pretty much do everything.
    - This will enhance the grind and interest people have to try different option(s).
    - This will also encourage and require people to group together, since one is depending on the other.
    - This will limit the mass FoTM rolls.
    - This will also improve Warfront interaction and playing field.
    - This could potentially open up a new experience for Open World Objectives
    Last edited by Cryptzilla; 05-03-2011 at 06:25 AM.
    ------------------------------------
    (50) Cryptrain - Warrior
    (50) Crypt - Cleric
    (50) Cryptek - Rogue
    [Danger Zone] / Defiant PVP Guild / Faemist
    My PVP Videos - http://crypt.upson.cc

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptzilla View Post
    I seriously do not understand why developers dumbed down to two factions for MMO's. With '9' Souls to choose from, you could have put some of those options into another faction. Hell, you only developed four races to choose from, I doubt that design took much effort.

An Idea:

Defiant - Have four Races with four Specs variations (Heals, Support, DPS, Tank)
    Guardians - Have four Races with four Specs variations (Heals, Support, DPS, Tank)
    <Third Faction> - Have four Races with four Spec variations (Heals, Support, DPS, Tank)

Such specs can be any variation of the current, however, limiting the "type" of class, simply put. Meaning, if you were a healer, you only really have 4 different healing options to play with (i.e. HoTs, Absorb, Cast-able Heals and perhaps, a Buff/Shearing spec).

- This will enable more players to roll multiple characters, and not just one, since, one can pretty much do everything.
    - This will enhance the grind and interest people have to try different option(s).
    - This will also encourage and require people to group together, since one is depending on the other.
    - This will limit the mass FoTM rolls.
    - This will also improve Warfront interaction and playing field.
    - This could potentially open up a new experience for Open World Objectives
    Sorry,whappen. You're introducing MONTHS of coding work, limiting the class selection, and making a complete game redesign. This is a bad idea ll around.

3 factions mst be there from the start. adding them at a later point is simply unrealistic. that is why this game was DOA on release. it just took people a couple months to realize it.

see ya in GW2 guys

Rift Chaser

Is having two factions really that bad? Why is three the magic number?

Shield of Telara

when one faction is overpopulated the other two can work together to bring them down plus three is the least amount of dev time in a fixed faction based game you can have with this benefit.
    Thats why three is the magic number.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavrae View Post
    Sorry,whappen. You're introducing MONTHS of coding work, limiting the class selection, and making a complete game redesign. This is a bad idea ll around.
    They are already in this bind trying to balance 9 souls for 4 different races. They are pretty much going to be doing complete redesigns anyway... no?
    (50) Cryptrain - Warrior
    (50) Crypt - Cleric
    (50) Cryptek - Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Kor Phaeron View Post
    3 factions mst be there from the start. adding them at a later point is simply unrealistic. that is why this game was DOA on release. it just took people a couple months to realize it.

see ya in GW2 guys
    Not true, games evolve with adding additional classes to MMO's all the time. Obviously it is done via Expansions, but it is possible to introduce a third faction within a new PVP atmosphere. This starts the grind over and adds to the new objectives.... if the talk of Open World PVP will be implemented.

With Open World PVP implemented, it has to have a different flavor that Warhammer didn't. Because we saw how two faction Open World PVP worked...
    (50) Cryptrain - Warrior
    (50) Crypt - Cleric
    (50) Cryptek - Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Kor Phaeron View Post

see ya in GW2 guys
    Because GW2 won't be the snoozefest that GW was.
    Even free cost too much now

This is an odd post to have in an actual game forum. It appears something that would be much better suited to something like MMORPG.com or the like.

Everybody knew Rift was going to be a two faction game.

I mean, honestly, if somebody was going to post about factions in a game - why not go the EVE/Shadowbane/etc route? Two factions - three factions? You're still just playing a meh game without player created factions, alliances, territorial control, etc.

DAoC sucked...get over it.

Prophet of Telara

Three factions has never been a necessity, especially when there's a better option...unlimited factions

meh, we could have 6 factions, by having guilds declare for one of the planar factions. but..

there are plenty of other things that wont make RVR work in rift
    1 the engine, it stutters like hell in cities and during that event
    2 the way death works, too easy to reinforce, this was a biggy between WAR and DAOC, Rift is as bigger jump again with run to corpse, soul walk etc.. (well except for stupid rez in keep in war 1.4 patch)
    3 crappy elemental mitigation, good luck getting tanks to man the rams and stuff while they get burnt / frozen / death ray'd to death

looks like games devs are catching on though, GW2, TSW & JGE (if it ever comes to light) are all 3 faction.

I cant help thinking if 3 is good, 5 would be even better though. I get the guild vs guild arguments too, but i think inevitably you get massive zerg guilds and this disrupts the playing field more than having 3, 5, whatever sided rvr
    Mage - steel cannon
    Rogue - tin pistol
    Warrior - glass machine gun
    Cleric - adamantium machine gun

Shadowlander

3 factions ain't going to do squat. The underlining PVP mechanics are horribad.

Quote Originally Posted by Talric View Post
    3 factions ain't going to do squat. The underlining PVP mechanics are horribad.
    very true, even if this game had RVR, the wow style macro spamming while running through people gets old fast (well actual is worse, long time since i played wow, but i cant remember warlocks been able to shoot shadow bolts out their ***)
    Mage - steel cannon
    Rogue - tin pistol
    Warrior - glass machine gun
    Cleric - adamantium machine gun

Well I have to agree with lots of the people here. Adding a new faction would be very hard. But it's impossible to do what you suggested with the classes. Trion can't possibly remove classes, only add classes. Do you think the playerbase would be happy to log on and find out that their bard soul was removed from gaurdian and defiant characters and is now only available on (third faction)? Lol.

But if there was a third faction, I would so want it to be the Endless Court. I mean it would already be in the lore and everything. And we would be all "Serve Regulos" and stuff. But then they would have to create new raids since we couldn't fight Alsbeth or Greenscale...

Anyway, this is more of a "I wish" thread, but 99% this is not going to happen. At least not for a while, probably over a year for it to even be considered.

+ Reply to Thread