+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can the Rift engine even handle large RvR fights?

Prophet of Telara

Default Can the Rift engine even handle large RvR fights?

After experiencing some pre-arranged large scale combat in the open world I am wondering if the main reason that there is no RvR content or any mention of upcoming RvR content despite the massive demand for it since beta is because of limitations in Rift. When a raid sized group of people is approached there is very large delay before most people appear. While I have experienced things like this in other games, it would often take 100+ people before it got to that level while coming up on a group of 20 is more than enough to do it in rift. (This is on a computer that could easily handle the graphics all the way up but running them a bit lower).

Yes this is largely conjecture but it seems like a possibility.

the real question is, can your PC handle RvR 100vs100 ppl

I been in a large scale rift invasion and got 15 FPS, there had to be 200 ppl there downing a rift boss. so if you ask me, yes the engine can handle it, but most ppls PCs will blow up trying to handle it. =p

Prophet of Telara

Look once in the fight for a certain amount of time everything is completely fine. The point I am bringing up is specifically the distance and rate at which large groups of characters become visible. This is something which nearly everyone I have spoken to experiences when approaching large groups of players.

Sword of Telara

simple no, will have do, with the last World Event, it showed clearly it can't handle it.

The zones will likely be much simpler which will help.
    When my PC starts having framerate issue is on the boss fights with the particle effects so heavy that you can't see the mob. I'd really like to be able to turn that way way way down.
    It would be nice to actually see what you are fighting sometimes instead of a glowing ball.

They will just need to turn of the rendering fix they have in place to help people with PC issues and if your PC can handle it great, if not then too bad.

One option that would be nice in game it the ability to save different graphic settings and to change them when needed.
    When I am out solo questing I can have everything cranked.
    When I participate in a invasion I can have another setting.
    When I am in pvp where framerate > all I can have another.

I don't want to use e auto slider I want to be able to tweak each setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vashane View Post
    I would just like to add, I sure hope they don't add something to this game before they add something else that is totally unrelated to the thing they might add, because that would really tick me off or something if they added it first before the thing that should be added first even though its totally unrelated like, you know?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by abisha View Post
    simple no, will have do, with the last World Event, it showed clearly it can't handle it.
    I didn't see any major problems when fighting the colossi mobs when there were easily 100 people (maybe more) all doing it, nor in the recent invasions in Shimmersand where there are also good numbers of NPCs around to swell the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    I didn't see any major problems when fighting the colossi mobs when there were easily 100 people (maybe more) all doing it, nor in the recent invasions in Shimmersand where there are also good numbers of NPCs around to swell the numbers.
    We had huge issues with rendering popups when testing the new invasions on PTR. Both people, and the NPCs that we were supposed to fight and protect.
    Was similar to stage 3 of RoS.
    I would just like to add, I sure hope they don't add something to this game before they add something else that is totally unrelated to the thing they might add, because that would really tick me off or something if they added it first before the thing that should be added first even though its totally unrelated like, you know?

The problem Seether is talking about is not related to FPS. It is related to how fast the players are rendering on screen.

And yes this is a large problem during RvR. I am normally am able to see players off in the distance, but when we have 40v40s I often can't see people more than 30m away. Even though my frames are fine, and latency is normal.

I'm not sure what causes this problem, but I highly doubt it is because my computer specs are inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazer View Post
    The problem Seether is talking about is not related to FPS. It is related to how fast the players are rendering on screen.

And yes this is a large problem during RvR. I am normally am able to see players off in the distance, but when we have 40v40s I often can't see people more than 30m away. Even though my frames are fine, and latency is normal.

I'm not sure what causes this problem, but I highly doubt it is because my computer specs are inadequate.
    No. The rendering is something Trion has done to help people with lesser hardware not have issues. At least that is what was said after the RoS event.

I agree with OP, i do not believe for once that Rift can handle large scale battles. As already mentioned, the world event proved that. During phase 3 on my shard, were hundreds of guardians and defiants lined up together at the castle in stillmoor. I could only see the people who was 30m around me, and there were TONS. However, players outside my 30m circle were not viewable, which was rather silly (especially cuz of all the figthing where you couldnt see your enemy), and this is on a computer that is brand new and with updated hardware.

Im not sure if RvR fights is what needd in order to bring something new to the PvP minded, perhaps some objectives in the current world with GOOD rewards would be fitting. The rewards currently from the wardstones are quite low. If you want world pvp then at least give us decent rewards, otherwise non will show up. Overall point is, "instanced" pvp such as WF shouldnt be the Only way of PvPing, it feels controlled and thats dull.
    Last edited by Ayronamic; 05-03-2011 at 03:34 AM.
    Bloodiron - Ayronamic

Soulwalker

it would be same like in AION.
    servers cant handle sieges but everyone goes on them anyway, becouse its fun
    but we dont have something like this :-(
    Mage - Defiant @ Whitefall
    Warhammer Online - Sorceress
    Guild Wars - Assasin
    Aion - Assasin

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    On harrow it was rough. Guardians had 3 full raid groups and Defiant had about twice our numbers. A third of our raid was disconnected at any given time. You could only see 50ish people at any given time and people were complaining that they were only attacking once every 10 seconds.

Weapon flare spam on like 40 people and a boss made my computer cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

+ Reply to Thread