+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleric LF tips vs. Mana Wrench

Rift Disciple

Default Cleric LF tips vs. Mana Wrench

So, I am a decent PvP healing cleric with R3/4 gear and a history of playing PvP heals. I am having a heck of a time defending against a determined dominator whose sole purpose is to mana wrench me. I play in PUGs so don't have folks to rely upon.

I play a templar, sent & warden spec, playing around with different mixes in preparation for 1.2 Templar nerfs.

I cannot seem to effectively avoid the mana wrench. I initially LOS to the best of my ability, but once it is cast and channeled, the spell goes through LOS. I try to keep my distance, but again, without support, that is challenging to say the least.

I get eventually get snared and squirreled, then the pain begins. I save my 1st silence to stop the 1st wrench, but then he just casts it again. I silence again, if not squirreled again, but in 2 mana wrenches, I am basically OOM.

Any overall tips or suggestions to help in the above circumstance? This is not a QQ post, but a plea for assistance!

Thanks,
    T

Hi!

I would just politely let your pug know in raid chat who it is and what they are doing. More often than not someone will help out. Especially if you are shelling out the warden heals.

If it is a dominator he will go poof... If it is a correct specced vk then you may be up the creek cause they take a while to kill.

Only other option is once you are dry most of them switch targets then you can use a pot and hope he didn't notice.

Hi Tdain, nice to see you on the boards

Unfortunately I can't help you with this as it is my single biggest problem as well.

I'm just hoping that either:

A. The CC nerfs make mages unwilling to play dominator
    or, alternatively,
    B. The pyro nerfs result in so many new dominators draining everyone's mana that it becomes the new flavor-of-the-month PvP complaint and consequently gets toned down

Until then I'm stuck running away and drinking like everyone else

As annoying as it is to have this happen, I like seeing these kinds of posts. It confirms that this part of the Control > Heal > DPS hierarchy is working. I'm going to have to go with Bahatsu on this one. Just like the other team doesn't want you freecasting heals, your team shouldn't want their control classes removing your ability to function.

There aren't many doms, vks, 44druids or other controllers for a number of reasons and, with 1.2, probably fewer doms (I expect a total class rework) but those that remain will still be a total pain in the ***. It isn't as easy as looking at the "top heals" list to see who you need to focus so calling it out to your warfront group, assuming they have two clues to rub together, should get that guy torn down in short order.

When it happens to me I, too, go with a silence but I prefer either edging LoS, so I can keep healing my team but they have to expose themselves more and more to get me, or simply punting them off a cliff. So much fun!
    Last edited by exLupo; 05-04-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

You can't do much with that spec.

The melee souls have some good mana regen skills. Without one of them, you're kind of SOL.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar View Post
    The melee souls have some good mana regen skills. Without one of them, you're kind of SOL.
    Not really a viable counter.

1. It costs mana to use a melee attack, being drained renders you unable to attack for your mana back until you naturally regen some
    2. Transference prevents you from naturally regenning enough mana to turn on your buff and attack
    3. Transference prevents you from gaining mana even if you managed to get the buff up and start attacking
    4. Mana Wrench drains mana faster than you can regen it by attacking, so Wrench in the middle of your regen will render you unable to continue attacking
    5. The cooldown on the melee regens is 1 minute. The cooldown on Wrench is 10 seconds.

The only real "counters" are mana pots or running away and drinking. You can't even LoS the thing because it's an instant channel that will continue thru objects once started. Give it a cast time and it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Ascendant

Killing them is a good counter too.
    Codex + 1 = Suck on a Gun

+ Reply to Thread