+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.2 Changes to CC - Changes to Mage Dominator spec needed

Default 1.2 Changes to CC - Changes to Mage Dominator spec needed

As the title implies there are some of the ways I think Dominator spec can be proved because of the huge changes to how cc works in this game. These changes includes increasing the timer for diminishing return, Break Free granting 5 seconds of immunity to all forms of cc, and finally snares being apart of diminishing return. All of these will have a major impact on how a Dominator will survive in pvp and basically giving no reason to go deep Dominator when everyone will be a lot more effective just going pyro. Also, Controlled Opportunity was nerfed simply because of pyro spec.

Here are some changes I believe will keep Dominator spec still playable and fun for us player who would still love the play the spec.

Mana-Wrench
    Problem:
    Since the nerf to this mana drain mana-Wrench has been quite lack luster at draining mana from a target and is mostly used to gain mana. As of right now, I do not even spec into the proved version of this spell because I find that it is a complete waste of 3 points that could be spent elsewhere. The talents increases the damage this ability does by 9% which is nothing since this ability deals no damage, increases the max mana drained by 1.5% which is pretty unnoticeable, and reduces the cooldown by 15 seconds which could be noticeable if I actually used the spell.
    Fixes:
    In order to fix this ability I have a simple suggestion: since this ability has lost a lot of its utility with the nerf to the mana drain there needs to be a relatively huge damage buff that would make it viable for a dominator mage to want to spam it whenever it off cooldown. By increasing the damage this will allow the three talent points spent into this spell to actually be worth putting points into and actually see a noticeable difference in their damage.

Memory Wipe
    Problem:
    Personally I do not understand why this ability was given to a support mage that deals almost no type of dps.
    Fixes:
    In order to fix this ability I have a simple suggestion: this ability can keep the threat removal portion if there is some underlining reason but I think it would be extremely viable for the spell to also cause the next spell the target cast to be interrupted for x seconds. This would better fit the dominator's role as a support cc spec which memory wipe simply does not provide and would also give this spec an actual interrupt and not just another silence which is affected by diminishing returns further lessening the blow given by 1.2.

Storm Shackle
    Problem:
    This ability seems a little confusing because the damage portion of this ability is only triggered by the target moving but when the ability is used the target is rooted causing the ability to deal no damage initially. Also, if the target is ranged then its damage really goes down the toilet because the ranged target does not need to be in melee range in order to fight and does not need to move so it will not be taking any damage.
    Fixes:
    In order to fix these problems I have a few suggestions: one remove the root portion of this ability and give it to haunting pain since haunting pain effective damage increases as the target is not moving allowing haunting pain to not be completely reliant on other abilities to increases its effectiveness, two cause any actions the target takes to trigger the spell so that ranged targets can be effected by the damage, and three lower the cooldown of this ability to 15-20 seconds because the cooldown timer is just way too long for what this ability does and its cast time (or allow the talent points to reduce the cast time).

Haunting Pain
    Fixes:
    As suggestioned in the Storm Shackle Suggestion I believe this spell should gain the root from Storm Shackle since its damage is relative to the target not moving and would actually make it so this ability makes sense with the idea that Dominator is a cc/utility spec and not a pure damage spec. Also, the cooldown on this ability should be reduced to 15-20 seconds because as of right now the cooldown on this ability is just way too long for what it does.

Grasping Void
    Problem:
    This ability just seems weak in general when compared to Adhesive Bomb. Grasping Void is much farther up the tree and has a rev-up time to actually be affective but by the time it would become effective the enemies have already ran out the aoe.
    Fixes:
    My suggestion for this ability is to either apply all stacks of the debuff immediately reducing the target's movement greatly but have the stacks decay after the target leaves the aoe or the stacks are continually applied even after they leave the aoe.

Mental Shock
    Problem:
    This ability is fine, but when I consider that we already have Death's Edict I just think why do we have this ability? The stun is instant and has for 5 seconds but (I think it is on the global cooldown, correct me if I am wrong) and it's affective duration is 4 seconds and a 50 second cooldown, while Death's Edict effective duration is 3 seconds, 1.5 second cast time, applies a 70% slow to the target and a 30 second cooldown. Since they are both stuns they dr with each other. It seems like there should be a better non-conflicting spell for top tier abilities. (Sadly I do not have any fixes for this yet)

Split Personality
    Problem:
    Fun spell with ok damage potential, this ability is an upper tier spell and is suppose to be one of the dominator's major damage cooldowns, with a bit of confusion mixed with it. My problems with this spell is that if you are targeted by an enemy and use this ability they do not lose target from you so the illusions part is practically useless, you need to spend 2 extra points to actually make it viable, they seem to attack whatever they want (such as pets if they attack me after use and will not attack my target as I am casting) and the only ability it cast is void bolt.
    Fixes:
    I have a few suggestions for changes but all of them do not need to be applied. First if an enemy has the dominator target, when split Personality is used the enemy needs to lose you as a target. Second the two additional talent points needed to make this ability viable need to actually improve the ability over just making it actually useful. The talent needs to reduce the cooldown by say 45 seconds per point and/or increase the damage the images do because right now the damage is pretty lackluster. Third, force the illusions to cast on whatever I am casting on. Lastly, if possible just have the Split Personalities cast whatever spell the mage cast so that it is much harder for an enemy to distinguish between the real one.

Reflective Presence
    Problem:
    This ability is fun and devastating at the same time. It causing targeted enemy spells to have a 60(75%) changes to be reflected. My problem with this spell is that it is either too powerful or too weak (chances seem to always be this way).
    Fixes:
    My suggestion to make this ability balanced is to cause the target to take 50% less damage and reflect the other 50% back to the target (this new idea would affect but melee, ranged and spell abilities) which would increase it viability to not only be affective against casters, would actually give the Dominator spec a defensive move that they desperately need with 1.2 patch, and would still keep the main idea of this spell which is to reflect damage back to the target.

Overpowering will
    Problem:
    This ability is just another cc spells that dr with a large number of abilities the dominator has and it drains charges. Most people do not use this ability because there are better abilities that could be consuming those charges, and transmogrify is just better in most situations.
    Fixes:
    My fix for this ability is fairly simple: Increase the cooldown on this ability to 1-2 minutes, it no longer consumes charges and forces the target to attack an enemy target in ranged for 2-3 seconds and deal 50% less damage on a separate diminishing return from transmogrify. This would give uniqueness in this ability which it was lacking in, increase damage the dominator does, and it would no longer munch up the dominator's limited amount of charges.

Shadowlander

When I read the 1.2 patch notes I thought: The dominator soul is useless when 1.2 gets released...

Plane Touched

the change coming to CC, is just horrible, all CC on same group... sh*ttiest idea ever...
    This is making CC, useless, because of procs, all other people using baldy their CC, high dmg abilities with CC, ... timed CC (which requires a bit more skill than spamming for dps), will be dead.

But popping Storm Shackle and Haunting Pain on the same person is so fun

Not only Dominator need changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Acex View Post
    Not only Dominator need changes.
    ^ .

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

Champion of Telara

I don't think you hit the root of the problem here.

If there is going to be people immune to stuns as soon as they are used.

These so called interrupts need to become viable interrupts that you want hitting that caster instead of bash instead of 1 second stuns.

Mental Shock needs to be an interrupt with some kind of effect similar to transference effect but quite a bit stronger than transference.

Deaths edict is good but could become an interrupt as well as long as the interrupt isn't terrible.

We need another disable that is similar to either power block or psychic distraction (polymorph replacement in pvp), it'd be better to have both with how many casters you do end up fighting.

Storm shackles is fine, it needs a lower recharge, if we change deaths edict.

The grasping void is weak as you did mention and would be better if it pulsed onto that selected area for 8 seconds or so, and had a longer duration.

Reflective is fine. It's had to get charge for it most of the time, plus you may even be 51 dom and end up have 3 or 4 things that are useful in other more common situations to use charge for and it becomes very limited in how much you use it, barely seeing any use at all. It seems to be about 50/50 flipping a coin, where the coin can sometimes land on that side twice, three times, etc. That's how guardians 50% chance worked to block I heard, because it could block 4 times in a row if u got lucky.
    Last edited by Dominmatric; 05-02-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Champion of Telara

What few unspammable damage spells we have, we should have power punches instead of slaps on the wrist.

We got 3 maybe 4 spells in the whole tree that does damage, but we want to save those damage spells for when they are needed.no disables,no rupts,worst hp, worst armor, worst damage, worst mitigation other than debuffing the enemy with chastise or the 51 one which both seem to be easily waited off..

We sacrifice everything and get almost nothing.
    Last edited by Dominmatric; 05-02-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominmatric View Post
    What few unspammable damage spells we have, we should have power punches instead of slaps on the wrist.

We got 3 maybe 4 spells in the whole tree that does damage, but we want to save those damage spells for when they are needed.no disables,no rupts,worst hp, worst armor, worst damage, worst mitigation other than debuffing the enemy with chastise or the 51 one which both seem to be easily waited off..

We sacrifice everything and get almost nothing.
    Sounds like another soul I have been 'ing about

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

So what do you guys actually think about my changes?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhain View Post
    the change coming to CC, is just horrible, all CC on same group... sh*ttiest idea ever...
    This is making CC, useless, because of procs, all other people using baldy their CC, high dmg abilities with CC, ... timed CC (which requires a bit more skill than spamming for dps), will be dead.
    Stunlock scrub detected

lol @ timed CC requiring more skill. Watching an icon and hitting another button when it goes away is pro. Now I'm not saying DPS spamming is particularly difficult, but I'm pretty sure a trained monkey can timed cc.
    Last edited by Arkanfel; 05-04-2011 at 07:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1.2 patch notes
    DROUGHTLANDS
    * The talking Raptors around Redoubt no longer have say text on aggro. Clever girls.

+ Reply to Thread