+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I'm a casual player. Should I just quit?

Telaran

Default I'm a casual player. Should I just quit?

Hi all,

I love computer games. I always have. Even now as a 35 year old man i love playing games, especially fantasy games.

I have a very responsible job and a family, what this means is that i can't play Rift for hours every day. I can manage an hour or two at best. Still this hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the game. i've loved levelling, i've loved world pvping, and i've loved doing warfronts.

The problem I have is that i'm now 50. I've tried doing warfronts but really, I could be the best player in the world but I have zero chance to compete. I get the odd good pug v pug match, but spending two hours being farmed to get one good game isn't fun.

Should i just quit?

Up to you, but the reality you are faced with isn't likely to change.

Plane Touched

Hi again =)

I have a couple of questions for you.

1. are you in a guild?
    2. do people in your guild pvp?
    3. have you ever posted in 50s chat that you are looking for some people to que with?

i understand the casual mentality. my brother is 38 and has 2 kids. he also plays rift. he can not be expected to be able to stay on for extended periods of time etc.

what you need to do is find a guild that is interested in the same things as you, has a vent server, and has enough people that when you do log on, you will have people to play with. it only takes 3 people working together on vent to drastically change the outcome of any given warfront.

most premade vs pug arguments really just boil down to a small amount of communication. in any given warfront you will find 2-3 groups of 2-3 people with a smattering of pugs thrown in there. the players that prepared for the warfront generally come out on top.

i do hope that you will take this advice to heart and actually try it out. it does indeed work.

when i log on i sometimes dont feel like turning vent on, and just wanna go farm some mats while queing for battlegrounds. if i lose more than 2, i realize its because im pugging. i then proceed to type in guild chat, "anyone wanna que pvps?" if i get one other person, my win rate tends to double. if i get more than 1 it goes up even higher, to the point where a 5 man premade will win 95% of their matches.

this occurs with people of all ranks. this is not merely a rank 6 v rank 1 issue. its a teamwork and communication issue. im currently rank 4, and regularly team up with rank 1 and 2 people. we win all the time.

so no you should not just quit. just put a small amount of effort in and you will be more than rewarded.

Bangtidy, I'm the same. 34 with family and long work hours. I play after I tuck the kids in and the wife has settled down watching one of her shows or with a good book. I still have a 3 zones worth of quests plus the typical gear and reputation grind to do. I also have 3 alts that I'm working on all the other crafting trades with. I guess it's all up to what you want to do.
    I love to splash around in these tear-flooded boards. It's so much fun!!

Casual player here too... have a wife and family, responsabilites and a love for PvP and ranged classes (been a MM rogue since launch).

All I can tell you is that you will have great days and really bad days... sometimes I login for an hour and everything goes wrong, premades filled with pyromancers and unkillable clerics and nothing goes right, but once in a while everything goes right and pugs unite and victories do come with sweat and team work.

Just stick it a while longer, you will raise in rank and favor and armor and weapons will also improve your gameplay... one word of advice, don't play p!ssed. Just logoff and go play ball with your kids
    Last edited by Avandor; 05-02-2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: spellchecker

"Eradicating your buffs since May 11th 2011"

I'm a casual hardcore in the same situation, I've managed to reach rank 5 finally (yesterday) a hundred prestige per game at a time (or less). Defiant has about 4 - 6 very active r5-6 premades as well as one of the top raid guilds in the game (<Addiction>) that love to farm us at all hours of the day on our battlegroup; guardian side has one r6 premade that I see a few times a week. It's almost always a 90%-10% (points) victory for defiant in this battlegroup. I'm stubborn so I won't quit until I finish my r6 and possibly finish the gearset, if I can make myself farm another 350k favor 150 at a time.

I'd suggest canceling until you hear news of a change for premade v premade only, until then, if you're like me, you're on farm status.

Obviously itís up to you but here is my view:

I am a casual player with a hard core mentality. The times I play i really want to maximize. I only play every Tuesdays/Thursdays after work (so 3-4 hours) and Saturdays real early before the wife gets up and stirring about (from about 6am to 11) and then Sundays is my designated "ME" day so i spend most of Sundays online until dinner then its family time So about 6am - 7pm there.

The real key here if you really enjoy PvP and thatís your main focus is to find some like minded people and join there guild. Also /friend people that you see in warfronts from your server that actually seem to know how to play and you see them playing your times. Even if its just 2 of you your win chance will go up a TON as long as your work together.

3 people always seem to be my sweet spot but a solid 5 man premade will dominate. Depends on your team composition. Heck if you have 1 rogue buddy speced to Run flags and stones that may up your win % by at least 80  The only time we really lose is if the 2-3 of us come up against a 5+ premade from one of the top guilds. Case in point yesterday we won Black Garden (which i RARELY Que for because I hate) for about 2-3 hours of straight Queing. Then Rlynn brought about 5 of his buddies and brought the thunder

Also be smart on your queing. It can be hard to avoid a solid premade sometimes but if you notice the last 3 fights in the codex has been the same premade 1000-32 loss then wait just a bit to get on a different que cycle and try a different War front. I have lost 2 or 3 in white fall, jumped over to codex, and spent hours winning.

Keep chipping. Even with my casual time which still may be more time than you have I have gotten to prestige Rank 5 and am on my way to 6 as we speak so it can be done. Once you get your first pvp set you will improve significantly. The separation between the sets isnít game breaking yet but may be after 1.2 with the new prestige 6.

WF's have serious issues atm. Most casuals have stopped queing for them.

Unless TRION makes major adjustments to WF's then your situation is only going to get worse. WF's have been relegated to a few people without lives. They aren't for casuals.

Try to enjoy other aspects of the game and hope TRION gets a clue. Otherwise, quitting is your only option.
    Last edited by Grim1; 05-02-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bangtidy View Post
    Hi all,

I love computer games. I always have. Even now as a 35 year old man i love playing games, especially fantasy games.

I have a very responsible job and a family, what this means is that i can't play Rift for hours every day. I can manage an hour or two at best. Still this hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the game. i've loved levelling, i've loved world pvping, and i've loved doing warfronts.

The problem I have is that i'm now 50. I've tried doing warfronts but really, I could be the best player in the world but I have zero chance to compete. I get the odd good pug v pug match, but spending two hours being farmed to get one good game isn't fun.

Should i just quit?
    Just keep chugging along...eventually you'll rank up and all that.

It's part of the game. You can either PVE and get destroyed by the boss because you are in blues the first time you face him, or you can get destroyed by rank 6 players that have no life and merely pvp 15 hours a day until you get better gear.

This is like THE MOST casual player oriented MMO I have played in a while....And I have played it all in these last years both theme parks and Sandboxxes.

Seriously if you cant compete in WF, either for equip or personal skill (personal skill lmao, you just need to be able to press in sequence a couple of keybinds to be considered a good player in MMOs).

I dunno guys what to say , really , this game throws epix at you like there is no tomorrow, the prestige grind is like nothing compared to what you need to grind in other mmos (Aion grind?LOLhavefun, Warhammer Rank grind takes muuuch longer then here or AoC PvP levels grind...).

There is always Hello kitty online out there...but I dunno if it is "Too much hardcore" for your tastes.
    Last edited by Atreiu; 05-02-2011 at 06:04 AM.

<Anotherguy>
    Rogue - cloudbourne
    Prestige Rank 6

Quote Originally Posted by Grim1 View Post
    WF's have serious issues atm. Most casuals have stopped queing for them.

Unless TRION makes major adjustments to WF's then your situation is only going to get worse. WF's have been relegated to a few people without lives. They aren't for casuals.

Try to enjoy other aspects of the game and hope TRION gets a clue. Otherwise, quitting is your only option.
    Warfronts do definitally have a few issues thats for sure. I disagree about them being regulated to people without lives.

Its like someone wanting to hit 50 and immediatly go raid greenscales AND expect to get it right the first time. Everyone pays there dues.

Quitting as an only options reply sounds like the typical warfront QQer that lost 3 in a row and rage quits out off scion. Its a poor mentality. You have options its just based off what you have fun doing.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ncash View Post
    1. are you in a guild?
    I am.

2. do people in your guild pvp?
    I have yet to be successful finding anyone who PvPs at all, let alone as much as I do.

3. have you ever posted in 50s chat that you are looking for some people to que with?
    Daily. Makes no difference.

I don't want to "find a guild" that does what I want because, PvP aside, I like the people in my guild and don't want to give up instancing with them. I also can't force people who don't want to PvP into it.

I am tired of being repeatedly stomped in WF. I DO NOT WANT PREMADES ELIMINATED. They are a great way to PvP with people you know - and I'm about the "social". I just want them to be handicapped in some way so that pugs actually have a better than 5% chance to beat them.

There are two premades: one from Reclaimer (Fires of Heaven, haven't you had enough yet?) and one from Deepwood. They both follow the same tactic in Codex. Every single time. No variation. And unless the puggers I'm with have a) experienced it or b) are willing to take direction (inorite?) it doesn't matter how I try to organize them.

Rift is a visual experience, with a lot going on on-screen. Without voice comm, it's a likelihood bordering on certainty that if the situation requires reaction, there will be several who simply won't see the tells.

I still maintain that eliminating premades is not the answer. Handicapping them in some way is. Just like a scratch golfer vs a 24 handicap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahatsu View Post
    Warfronts do definitally have a few issues thats for sure. I disagree about them being regulated to people without lives.

Its like someone wanting to hit 50 and immediatly go raid greenscales AND expect to get it right the first time. Everyone pays there dues.

Quitting as an only options reply sounds like the typical warfront QQer that lost 3 in a row and rage quits out off scion. Its a poor mentality. You have options its just based off what you have fun doing.
    You missed the "Otherwise" in my post and the sentence before it. As for your ASSumptions about me, they are waaay off base. I have a premade.

But I recognise that less people are queing for pugs and the situation is getting worse every day. The game needs casual players to be successful and thrive. Without them this game will die. Like it or not, casuals are the most important players to any mmo because they make up the vast majority of the PAYING playerbase. If TRION doesn't cater to them then everyone loses.
    Last edited by Grim1; 05-02-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by astrocanis View Post
    I am.

I have yet to be successful finding anyone who PvPs at all, let alone as much as I do.

Daily. Makes no difference.

I don't want to "find a guild" that does what I want because, PvP aside, I like the people in my guild and don't want to give up instancing with them. I also can't force people who don't want to PvP into it.

I am tired of being repeatedly stomped in WF. I DO NOT WANT PREMADES ELIMINATED. They are a great way to PvP with people you know - and I'm about the "social". I just want them to be handicapped in some way so that pugs actually have a better than 5% chance to beat them.

There are two premades: one from Reclaimer (Fires of Heaven, haven't you had enough yet?) and one from Deepwood. They both follow the same tactic in Codex. Every single time. No variation. And unless the puggers I'm with have a) experienced it or b) are willing to take direction (inorite?) it doesn't matter how I try to organize them.

Rift is a visual experience, with a lot going on on-screen. Without voice comm, it's a likelihood bordering on certainty that if the situation requires reaction, there will be several who simply won't see the tells.

I still maintain that eliminating premades is not the answer. Handicapping them in some way is. Just like a scratch golfer vs a 24 handicap.

Again besides following my basic WF queing advice and since your not wanting to join a different guild your best options are:

A: Build more pvp excitment in your guild.
    B: /Friend people you see that are good in warfronts and play at the same time you do
    C: Continue Grinding out the Pugs
    D: Only PvE

as long as you have fun any option works.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Bahatsu View Post
    Again besides following my basic WF queing advice and since your not wanting to join a different guild your best options are:

A: Build more pvp excitment in your guild.
    B: /Friend people you see that are good in warfronts and play at the same time you do
    C: Continue Grinding out the Pugs
    D: Only PvE

as long as you have fun any option works.
    I understand. A is simply not going to happen - the guild consists of older professionals and they just aren't interested. As one (female) player told me last night, "I like you even if you are one of those 'P' words."

I am trying to friend people. I have met 2-3 folks I enjoy queueing with. But 2 people in a queue don't make much difference to a premade, particularly since on Reclaimer Defiant, they advertise that their premades only take R4 gear and better. (I play both, but prefer the underdog a bit. Problem is, the underdog is underground right now).

I am continuing to grind out the pugs. When my temper gets too frayed, I just walk away. I don't believe the problem is with the premades. It's with the idiocy that leads otherwise relatively smart and competent players to do absolutely asinine things.

"Only PVE". I can't. I just can't do it. I try and try, but I just can't make myself run instances ad-nauseum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast