+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patches Can't Help Baddies

Rift Disciple

Default Patches Can't Help Baddies

The classic trend of MMOs is for players to cry when they get killed and demand a nerf. However, these patches have never worked to balance a game before..so why do we keep demanding them?

Behaviors I've noticed that get people killed, to me, are the reasons why so many players rage. One of my favorites..watching 1-2 people rush into a mob of 10 and expect to win, leaving the rest of their team half the map behind. My dad and I used to play Age of Empires and would laugh at how the AI was stupid enough to send 1 soldier into a battle at a time in a straight line. A wall of archers just focused each one as it came, never getting hurt. This is what you are doing, this is why you die.

Another is how melee will stand in the middle of AoE and wonder why they are dying. At Codex, at the codex base, warriors like to run around the flag..where you can see every different AoE spell just tearing at them. Rogues are doing the same thing. A more acceptable strategy? Melee should be chasing healers and mages off the enemy cliff, protecting their ranged guys, etc.

Then the classic Rogue fail..standing still and trying to fight someone. If you are any type of Rogue..you should be moving. You don't go toe to toe with that warrior..you run around him to mitigate damage while stacking DoTs. You don't let the Mage fireball you down, you run circles and disrupt the spellcasting. (Btw, what ever happened to the part of that one patch (1.1 i think) that supposedly made it so as long as you were facing your target when you started the spell, it still hit them?)

Finally, this game is about builds. Are you specced for single target damage? AoE snares? Do what you're specced for. I have a Stormcaller specced for AoE damage and snares, and hey..I beat Pyros on the damage, because I'm playing my character right. If I find clusters of enemies I'll hit the top of a WF, if I focus on single targets..I'll do decent but not so great. Figure out how you want to play, and spec accordingly. All the nerfs and buffs in the world cannot help you if you are playing in ways that you are not specced for.

What's the point? We're seeing imbalance after imbalance created by patches that try to fix problems that..can't be fixed with a patch. No patch will make somebody a better player. I'm not saying that GoS doesn't need a nerf or that current CC isn't out of hand and upcoming CC isn't overly nerfed. I'm saying that people are going to whine because they simply aren't good at the game. It sucks, but hey..find me a game that is 0% personal skill and 100% rock/paper/scissors. I guarantee that Rift is not that game, whether people think it takes skill or not.

Sword of Telara

(Btw, what ever happened to the part of that one patch (1.1 i think) that supposedly made it so as long as you were facing your target when you started the spell, it still hit them?)
    It's in and works. LoS still breaks them, but regardless of if your back is to em, when cast is done a line is drawn from you to target, if nothing interviening you cast succesfully, regardless of travel time it will hit from that point out.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." -Sir Winston Churchill

And as always "Death to the Fascists! Death to the Guardians!" -Liper

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh1993 View Post
    The classic trend of MMOs is for players to cry when they get killed and demand a nerf. However, these patches have never worked to balance a game before..so why do we keep demanding them?
    Let me show you an example of a very, very successful patch.

Update - 21 August 2008
    Skill Updates

Monk

Smiterís Boon: recharge time increased to 90 seconds, Energy cost increased to 25, duration reduced to 5 seconds.

That makes this skill cost almost all of your mana, used once per game, and last 5 seconds, and the skill is very weak when you only have one of them, not weak, but not strong it made your smiting prayers, that did not heal at all, heal double (when you casted any monk spell on a player your divine favor healed them a little, not the actual smite spell, and the divine favor got doubled).

It killed one of my favorite random arena monks which was smite/heals.

But when you had this team in team arenas.

http://www.gwpvx.com/Archive:Team_-_TA_Triple_Smite

Had to go.

Ascendant

To OP : Even if what you're saying is mostly true, it doesn't mean there's no imbalanced that could ( and should ) be fixed.

Yes, most people whining about a calling/soul/ability are just inexperienced players who are getting owned.
    But some others have valid complaints that are ment to make the game better for everyone. I for one play every single class/soul combination, and I'm sure others are like me, and when this kind of players think a soul should be buffed/nerfed, they're not just whining because they got killed, they're also playing said class and/or against said class with their own toons.

So, Trion shouldn't mindlessly give people what they want ( because most complaints are wrong ) but they shouldn't disregard all of them either. They have to think through all the BS spewed on these forums and figure out what is right and what is wrong.

+ Reply to Thread