+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Real World PvP Solved!

Plane Touched

Default Real World PvP Solved!

Add a leveling system to every Guild for attaining PvP rank. Allow Guild PvP exp to ONLY be gained by favor earned in real world pvp. Allow players to purchase pvp gear comparable to Warfront gear based on the amount of Favor earned(Scaled to real world of course hard, but not impossible).

Allow guilds to purchase different abilities for use in real world pvp, you can even get real crazy with this calling in NPC's or AoE's for support or Air strike type effects.

BOOM!

Sword of Telara

open world favor gain should be x10 more favor than in WF.
    it takes ~10-20 minutes to actually FIND a player....

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Nodisplay View Post
    open world favor gain should be x10 more favor than in WF.
    it takes ~10-20 minutes to actually FIND a player....
    That player may not even be your level.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ems-in-one-fix

Telaran

To be entirely honest im not sure this alone would solve the lack of world pvp , but its a good idea if they implement it with other methods to encourage world pvp, such as increase in favor gains for world pvp, incentivising ancient wardstones and increase their numbers and ease to find within high level areas. Im sure there are more great ideas out there to improve world pvp.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sarie View Post
    To be entirely honest im not sure this alone would solve the lack of world pvp , but its a good idea if they implement it with other methods to encourage world pvp, such as increase in favor gains for world pvp, incentivising ancient wardstones and increase their numbers and ease to find within high level areas. Im sure there are more great ideas out there to improve world pvp.
    Making every single player on the opposing faction pretty close to your level besides pvp ranks on pvp servers, is a start. Depending on shard sizes that could be quite an increase in enemies.
    Last edited by Dominmatric; 05-01-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Plane Touched

Do you know how many Guilds would run real world raids just for bragging rights alone. Add a reward for it and players will flock, if I gave rewards for hopping over a giant rubber duck in the game youd see players in a mile long line.

And yes I agree add more favor per real world kill which I added but was poorly worded. But adding a Guild pvp lvling system is the fastest easiest way to increase real world pvp overnight!
    Last edited by Fellknight; 05-01-2011 at 12:05 PM.

World PvP:

For whatever reason, there's a small but vocal contingent with some kind of world PvP fetish. Other forum posters often mistake this for a large contingent because it's vocal, and think world PvP must be great in other games and why can't we have it here?

In WoW, even the *devs* mistook the small but vocal contingent for a large contingent, and spent many patches trying to satisfy it with world PvP objectives that sat abandoned after the first week. The reason why they sat abandoned is because world PvP isn't as fun as battleground PvP. There's a lot of waiting around, a lot of camping, the teams are numerically unfair, and mobs and town guards get in the way of every fight. When the WoW devs, after many iterations, finally managed to make a popular world PvP area . . . it was essentially a battleground, isolated from the rest of the world and only active at certain times.

The only MMOs that have come remotely close to making world PvP work were those where world PvP was the entire focus of the game. This is because, given other options besides world PvP, players will overwhelmingly choose those other options.

Default change post name.

For a scond i thought some guy gaffed someone in th real world over a game again......

you shattered my hopes

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Stay View Post
    World PvP:

For whatever reason, there's a small but vocal contingent with some kind of world PvP fetish. Other forum posters often mistake this for a large contingent because it's vocal, and think world PvP must be great in other games and why can't we have it here?

In WoW, even the *devs* mistook the small but vocal contingent for a large contingent, and spent many patches trying to satisfy it with world PvP objectives that sat abandoned after the first week. The reason why they sat abandoned is because world PvP isn't as fun as battleground PvP. There's a lot of waiting around, a lot of camping, the teams are numerically unfair, and mobs and town guards get in the way of every fight. When the WoW devs, after many iterations, finally managed to make a popular world PvP area . . . it was essentially a battleground, isolated from the rest of the world and only active at certain times.

The only MMOs that have come remotely close to making world PvP work were those where world PvP was the entire focus of the game. This is because, given other options besides world PvP, players will overwhelmingly choose those other options.
    I'm sorry the only mmo you've ever played was WoW, but real world pvp is not a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellknight View Post
    I'm sorry the only mmo you've ever played was WoW, but real world pvp is not a myth.
    WoW is the most important of the dozens of MMOs I have played because it was the most successful. PvP is a niche market already - most MMO players (and, consequently, most MMOs) are PvE-focused. World PvP is a teeny tiny subniche, so tiny that even the most successful MMO ever couldn't field more than a handful of people interested in it. Forums shouldn't fool anyone into thinking otherwise.

WoW is the most important of the dozens of MMOs I have played because it was the most successful. PvP is a niche market already - most MMO players (and, consequently, most MMOs) are PvE-focused. World PvP is a teeny tiny subniche, so tiny that even the most successful MMO ever couldn't field more than a handful of people interested in it. Forums shouldn't fool anyone into thinking otherwise.
    Niche market? Really?
    Looks like Telara is one MASSIVE niche market considering all the pvp servers they have.
    Too bad Trion hasnt a clue what they are doing though when it comes to this "niche" market. ie. Warfronts are NOT PvP.
    Crash and burn, baby, crash and burn.
    PvE alone will not keep this sinking ship afloat.

Rift Disciple

World PvP requires world pvp objectives. Regardless of what other things you might do to encourage it, players have to pick someplace to meet to PvP. An objective solves this problem.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by redwards View Post
    World PvP requires world pvp objectives. Regardless of what other things you might do to encourage it, players have to pick someplace to meet to PvP. An objective solves this problem.
    Ok, but objectives like this always have 1 significant problem: What keeps players coming back after they have the rewards?

Rift Disciple

Ok, but objectives like this always have 1 significant problem: What keeps players coming back after they have the rewards?
    Generally I consider capturing the objective to be the reward. At some point, unless the servers are horrifically unbalanced, the other side will probably recapture the objective, and then you can capture it again. In the meantime, you'll be busy defending it. This produces an unstable border between the two sides in which world objectives constantly change hands. It worked wonderfully in DAOC and Warhammer for years.
    Last edited by redwards; 05-01-2011 at 08:25 PM.

WoW is the most important of the dozens of MMOs I have played because it was the most successful.
    This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard... and this is the internet.

/facepalm

On MMO break until someone decides to put out a game developed for PvP.
    On Deck:
    Jon Connor - Love Me Now
    Dir en grey - Hageshisa to kono mune no naka de karamitsuita shakunetsu no yami

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast