+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rift is a PvE Game!

Plane Touched

Default Rift is a PvE Game!

1. No incentive for skill based PvP, a terrible player can just as easily get Rank 6 being carried through premade's.

2. Class Balance is adjusted based on WF's and left terribly imbalanced in 1v1 combat.

3. The treadmill, gear is earned pretty much the same way as it is through a dungeon. You group up and time played=rewards. And unlike PvE it gets easier as you get higher rank, and the longer the game goes on the more impossible it becomes for new players to compete.

4. No incentive for real world pvp, if your not in a warfront you will see no reward for PvPing.

General of Telara Doktor_Ljubavi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fellknight View Post
    1. No incentive for skill based PvP, a terrible player can just as easily get Rank 6 being carried through premade's.

2. Class Balance is adjusted based on WF's and left terribly imbalanced in 1v1 combat.

3. The treadmill, gear is earned pretty much the same way as it is through a dungeon. You group up and time played=rewards. And unlike PvE it gets easier as you get higher rank, and the longer the game goes on the more impossible it becomes for new players to compete.

4. No incentive for real world pvp, if your not in a warfront you will see no reward for PvPing.
    1. True, but I don't really care. I will still stomp the rank 6 scrub. There is no ladder system in this game, and I am glad there isn't. The baddies will still lose, and die, and I don't need a ladder system telling me that.

2. 1v1 combat means jack **** in the end. I play MMO's for group play, that is where a class should be balanced. I will agree, there are a lot of imbalanced classes right now, and a lot remain unviable for both group PVP and solo PVP.

3. Yes, it's a treadmill, but what isn't these days? I go to work 5 days a week, and grind out the same **** every day for the same **** pay at the end of the week. I play these games for fun, the gear that comes with playing often is just a bonus. If Trion doesn't **** it up, PvP can become more skill oriented than gear. In 1.2, the difference between rank 1/2 gear and rank 5/6 gear is 15% damage reduction and some more DPS. It's not an insane gap at the moment.

4. Why do people need "incentives"? Is killing your enemy not satisfying enough? Rewards? You get almost triple the amount of prestige/favor for slaying some scrub in open world than you do in warfronts. Only thing I would like to see is a large zone dedicated to domination. With different towns/fortresses/castles to own. Make it increased favor/prestige for PVPing in this zone, and call it a done deal. No garbage "extra incentives" for controlling(ala castle swapping in WAR), other than straight up pride and for the fun of it all. We play these games for fun, right?
    http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv43/Unholiologist/fictionsaysninjaassassin.jpg

Seems to be an accurate observation.

ARE there any excellent PvP games out there that are not primarily "twitch reflex" games?

That's what I am looking for as I get older and have less "twitch" skill and more "strategy" skill...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor_Ljubavi View Post
    1. True, but I don't really care. I will still stomp the rank 6 scrub. There is no ladder system in this game, and I am glad there isn't. The baddies will still lose, and die, and I don't need a ladder system telling me that.

2. 1v1 combat means jack **** in the end. I play MMO's for group play, that is where a class should be balanced. I will agree, there are a lot of imbalanced classes right now, and a lot remain unviable for both group PVP and solo PVP.

3. Yes, it's a treadmill, but what isn't these days? I go to work 5 days a week, and grind out the same **** every day for the same **** pay at the end of the week. I play these games for fun, the gear that comes with playing often is just a bonus. If Trion doesn't **** it up, PvP can become more skill oriented than gear. In 1.2, the difference between rank 1/2 gear and rank 5/6 gear is 15% damage reduction and some more DPS. It's not an insane gap at the moment.

4. Why do people need "incentives"? Is killing your enemy not satisfying enough? Rewards? You get almost triple the amount of prestige/favor for slaying some scrub in open world than you do in warfronts. Only thing I would like to see is a large zone dedicated to domination. With different towns/fortresses/castles to own. Make it increased favor/prestige for PVPing in this zone, and call it a done deal. No garbage "extra incentives" for controlling(ala castle swapping in WAR), other than straight up pride and for the fun of it all. We play these games for fun, right?
    1. There is no way to know who is or isn't bad if there is no ranking system in place, I have a rank 6 RL friend who cant pvp his way out of wet paper bag but he got the best pvp items in Rift simply because he had a slot in our premade.

2. Try paying every baseball player the same regardless of skill and tell them it doesn't matter how well they played because its a TEAM SPORT! This isn't little league you shouldn't get a trophy just because you showed up.

3. Without siege warfare and town building your right everything is a treadmill, i just wish the PvP treadmill didn't look exactly like the PvE one.

4. No rewards for skill based PvP? That's like me taking all the best dungeon drops and making them vendor rewards for time grind, like PvE players wouldn't freak out over this. Not to mention that every dungeon raider would destroy any pvper simply from outgearing them. You obviously don't like or care about PvP but you don't see me posting that there should be no rewards from PvE because I stay out of the area I don't care about. You don't see me climbing into your house and moving around your furniture, do you?
    Last edited by Fellknight; 05-01-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Plane Touched

lol... then it's the worst PvE game on the current MMO market right??

This isn't World of Warcraft.. I mean that is a PvE game that's actually pretty demanding on player skill atm. Not to mention they have been perfecting PvE in an MMO for quite alot of years now.

13 million players play WoW... nearly 1 million of them do arena/rated PvP, which means 12 million or more play the game solely for PvE. The only guild on my server from wow that quit for rift was the one that struggled doing 5 man heroics and they wanted an "easier" pvE experience. Not sure if they still play rift or not.

Prophet of Telara

Agree in general. Disagree on reasoning.
    There is no skill based PvP because the game rewards losers. Thus losers have no incentive to get better. This is why we have the whole AFK bot issue.

Quiet the opposite actually. Balanced should alway be adjusted around group combat and how well various classes (soul combos) fit into their respective group combat roles. Reading patch notes it is easy to notice that game is currently [attempted to be] balanced for 1v1, which makes for terrible balance in WFs.

No. See 1.
    Rewarding losers is the core of the issue.

Agree on that.
    -- Trollhammer@Molinar

Quake and Chess are both PvP games.
    Neither game is anything alike.

Generalizing on what one PvP game does to declare other games non-PvP is a poor start for a discussion. You do not seem to like the PvP here. You are more than free to not play this game or post on the forums about things that will not ever be changed.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Jural View Post
    Seems to be an accurate observation.

ARE there any excellent PvP games out there that are not primarily "twitch reflex" games?

That's what I am looking for as I get older and have less "twitch" skill and more "strategy" skill...
    WoW has the best design for PvP all around in any of the MMO's out there.. BUT.. the class balance is soo whacked and ****ed up it totally destroyed the game.

Makes me cry a little on the inside when I look at arenastats . com

Quote Originally Posted by Jaixen View Post
    it totally destroyed the game.
    Hyperbole.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Yet you post this in the PVP section, the irony is unbelievably strong here
    Hurry to Meet Death Before Your Place is Taken

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor_Ljubavi View Post

1. No you wont.

2. This is a gear based system, see #1.

3. It will always be a gear based system sorry; see wowclone.

4. You get 100 prestige for killing a solo player in open world; I get 3k prestige in a wf; you do the math.

\The only thing I agree with you on is a dedicated pvp zone with objectives.
    Having a blue bar over your head in a WF is like watching 10 fat kids all bum rush the ice cream buffet at Ci Ci's.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by liho1eye View Post
    Quiet the opposite actually. Balanced should alway be adjusted around group combat and how well various classes (soul combos) fit into their respective group combat roles. Reading patch notes it is easy to notice that game is currently [attempted to be] balanced for 1v1, which makes for terrible balance in WFs.

I can almost remember exactly when Tommy Chilton(Head WoW Designer) sold this lie, that PvP can be balanced around Largescale and not 1v1. What I can't understand is how so many players bought into it.

This doesn't even work on a Common Sense level. So your telling me that adding more OP'd classes to my premade doesn't=Victory?

So I should just take a Marksmen over a Pyro for my groups DPS slot lol.

or I shouldn't add more clerics or take a stormcaller over a cloro, cmon.

OP'd classes are like cockroaches you might only see one at first but it won't be long before your swimming in them and adding more of the same OP'd class doesn't balance things

I'm sorry but PvP wins should never be determined by just the classes you showed up with. It should NEVER be that any Pyro or Cleric will do, I should be able to choose my pvp partners based on the name and reputation that player has earned for himself, NOT WHICH CLASS HE DECIDED TO PLAY.
    Last edited by Fellknight; 05-01-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Rift Chaser

i get a kick out of all the people who say this.

basically you don't like <INSERT GAME>'s PVP so therefore <INSERT GAME> is definitely not about PVP.

You see it everywhere in every game imaginable. We all respect your right to not enjoy it or participate in it.

Rift Chaser

So

Rift is about PvP?

See your post doesnt hold much water when flipped around like that.
    Having a blue bar over your head in a WF is like watching 10 fat kids all bum rush the ice cream buffet at Ci Ci's.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
    i get a kick out of all the people who say this.

basically you don't like <INSERT GAME>'s PVP so therefore <INSERT GAME> is definitely not about PVP.

You see it everywhere in every game imaginable. We all respect your right to not enjoy it or participate in it.
    If there is no difference between a PvP and PvE server, then it is only logical to say it is a PvE game. When more and more Guards are added to places real world pvp is found and NEVER any rewards to participate in it. When the pvp is balanced around Warfronts, which is the same pvp found on a pve server, I can logically say it's a PvE game.

So it's not understanding <PVP> you fail at, it's <LOGIC>
    Last edited by Fellknight; 05-01-2011 at 11:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast