+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MMO PvP vs Quake/FPS

Default MMO PvP vs Quake/FPS

The only real difference in RIFT PvP and Quake is the scenery. In FPS there is no consequences in dying and its staged arena combat with instant spawn.

Maybe if there was a 2 minute spawn window it wouldn't be beneficial to graveyard RUSH and people would actually think when PvPing.

I just did a test to see how this mentality works and I usually run a Codex with a 9-2 death ratio. My test runs I was 17-7 & 14-5; I get more kills rushing and not trying to be tactical and just killing till I was killed but I also died more.

Anyone have a counter argument? PvP needs consequences or it just turns into another FPS style game plan and simple.
    "I always wanted to play a PvP game where nobody dies." - Rift PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Cal_KC View Post
    The only real difference in RIFT PvP and Quake is the scenery. In FPS there is no consequences in dying and its staged arena combat with instant spawn.

Maybe if there was a 2 minute spawn window it wouldn't be beneficial to graveyard RUSH and people would actually think when PvPing.

I just did a test to see how this mentality works and I usually run a Codex with a 9-2 death ratio. My test runs I was 17-7 & 14-5; I get more kills rushing and not trying to be tactical and just killing till I was killed but I also died more.

Anyone have a counter argument? PvP needs consequences or it just turns into another FPS style game plan and simple.
    Unfortunately, the problem is more the players than anything else. Unless players change their mindset the only thing on the mind of most PvPers is the PK. We can find this mindset amongst all but those who taking gaming and PvP seriously, as these two groups understand that 1v1 and PK is merely a means to an end and not the end in itself. The more immature and unconcerned players, even those who solely PvP, are going to be those that go after the 1v1 and PK at the expense of the objective. There is one more part to this system and it is as you mentioned, consequence, and yet it is also reward too. Without appropriate rewards and consequences to objective-driven PvP there will be no good reason for the overwhelming majority of people to willfully choose to PvP instead of PK.

I'm behind you 100% here and I'm also not against Deathmatch-style PvP. The thing is that that style of PvP just isn't the design intention in mmorpgs, it's what players have decided to do with the design. Unless developers become firm about doing things like rewarding minimal favour for PKs things will not change. PK is important but unless there are some consequences for mindless PK, the situation we currently have, Warfront PvP will not only keep it's bad reputation (zomg i ***** u lolz!11!1!1) but it will also be an eyesore of a design that the developers let the players break.
    Last edited by TheGrump; 04-30-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: removed text

What you said is sad but true and well said as well.
    "I always wanted to play a PvP game where nobody dies." - Rift PvP

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Cal_KC View Post
    I want a 2 min respawn, but it doesnt work for black garden unless the points tick slower.

It would be great in scion, codex, and whitefall, maybe have codexes points tick a little slower also.

The reason I want it is so that it prepares a larger group of people to respawn as a team rather than a bunch of small duo/solo groups.

Guildwars has a 2 minute respawn, but they also do not always have to wait that two minutes since allies can resurrect allies in 3 seconds of casting res during combat.

I would really like that res system implicated.
    Last edited by Dominmatric; 04-30-2011 at 09:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread