+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Carebear Misconceptions

Ascendant

Default Carebear Misconceptions

It's almost funny how some people think about Carebears. There are a lot of misconceptions about what Carebears are, and in fact, a lot of different types of Carebears. Its not one size fits all.

The biggest misconception however is that Carebears, on the whole, are not competitive. I'm a very competitive player, and I've certainly been called a carebear more than a few times.

I'm not so sure that wanting to see a level playing feel for competition makes a carebear noncompetitive. A lot of PVPers (not all and maybe not most), think that the only way to compete is their way. Well, it's one way to compete. But a more honest competition would be based less on gear and more on skill. Less on ganking and more on facing challenges.

And yes, there are very competitive PVPers out there, and there are some who just want to gank and pick battles they know they can win. Same with carebears, actually.

Some carebears challenge themselves and some take the easy road (and there's nothing wrong with either).

My entire professional life has been competitive. Being competitive in sales, for example, puts food on the table. I don't need to be competitive in a game to prove that I'm a competitive person.

By the same token, I like to see competition that challenged people but where everyone has a chance to win if they're good enough.

Too often in PVP, it's numbers that win, or the composition of a team that's chance, such as who has more clerics, or who has the right combinations of classes to win that battle. This means that PVP is inherently unbalanced, no matter what you do. And unfair.

If there are ten times more guardians in a battle group than defiants, the guardians will win. How is this fun or fair? How is not wanting to do this making me less competitive.

I actually enjoy world PVP and have entered into it, on a PVe server. And sometimes I just want to relax and play with my wife. So?

Carebears come in all shapes and sizes. Don't lump as all in as uncompetitive people who take the easy road. Cause you'd be wrong.

I find it a derogatory generalisation that is often used to troll forums and chat channels.

The moment I see someone using the word "Carebear", to me it instantly discredits anything that person is saying because they are often just using it to antagonise people.

However in the case of the OP, that doesn't apply.
    Last edited by Tarka; 04-30-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Soulwalker

Every time I see the term Carebear I have to ask; When do we get our belly badges?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
    I find it a derogatory generalisation that is often used to troll forums and chat channels.

The moment I see someone using the word "Carebear", to me it instantly discredits anything that person is saying because they are often just using it to antagonise people.

However in the case of the OP, that doesn't apply.
    I'm sure it was meant to be derogatory but you know, what's wrong with caring? What's wrong with bears either, for that matter.

Anyone who calls me a carebear is pretty much showing that they themselves don't give a hoot about anybody but themselves. So I wear the badge proudly. I'd rather be one of me, than one of them.

It doesn't matter what they're intending it to mean. By comparison it's the better of the two options.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Operahouse View Post
    Every time I see the term Carebear I have to ask; When do we get our belly badges?
    LMAO! I want one. In fact, I think games should have a care bear t-shirt characters can wear in game. lol

Rift Chaser

Carebear is a term that widely began being used in Ultima Online when a group of players *****ed cried and moaned that they were "forced" to fight and were perpetually killed by other players in a game that was totally created to be a open world.

UO's decision in creating a exact replica of the world, just where everything was all cute and flowery, and no non consensual combat existed, solidified the term.
    Having a blue bar over your head in a WF is like watching 10 fat kids all bum rush the ice cream buffet at Ci Ci's.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by nagennif View Post
    I'm sure it was meant to be derogatory but you know, what's wrong with caring? What's wrong with bears either, for that matter.

Anyone who calls me a carebear is pretty much showing that they themselves don't give a hoot about anybody but themselves. So I wear the badge proudly. I'd rather be one of me, than one of them.

It doesn't matter what they're intending it to mean. By comparison it's the better of the two options.
    When the term "carebear" started being used it was what the people who played on pvp servers called people that played on pve servers, that was it, nothing less nothing more, i'm not sure when it became an insult.

Even pve players back then who didn't play hardcore pvp referred to themselves as carebears, the so called pvpers in todays games would be considered carebear from an old pvpers perspective.

No corpse looting, no penalty from death and pvping for the ever running carrot (gear) would be considered a joke to the real hardcore pvp of days gone by.

You didn't tell people back then that you played on a pve server, you said you played on a carebear server.
    Last edited by nogark; 04-30-2011 at 05:10 PM.

There's a word (rhymes with beer) often used to refer to gay people, which was, I kid you not, a derogatory and pretty much unacceptably crude word within my lifetime. There was a time when it got the same treatment that the synonym for a bundle of sticks does now, or worse.

Then some guys came along and said, "we're here, we're queer, get used to it". And now most of the people I know who are in one of the various categories so denoted will self-identify with the word.

I know people like to think that carebear is derogatory, but I really don't care what they think. I don't like PvP. I find PvP antifun. I don't object to competition, though I tend not to be especially competitive. I just don't enjoy PvP, so... I don't play it. At all. And if people wanna call me a carebear, well, fine by me. So what?

Usually, if they're trying to be offensive with that word, they're doing that because that's all they've got; they have no arguments for whatever position they're advancing, they're down to name-calling. At which point smiling and agreeing with the name leaves them with nothing at all, because they never actually had any kind of argument against it. They just relied on the emotional response to being called a name.

Me, I'm a cooperative player. I've cleared rifts with cross-faction people and spent extra effort to try to keep them alive (or, if not exactly "keep them alive", at least prevent things from killing them). If I were allowed to heal cross-faction players who were fighting rifts, I would... And yes, I'd do it in-character, because none of my characters are incandescently stupid due to an overdose of patriotism. They are all pretty much aware that the fight with the guardians is one both sides could survive, and the fight with the Blood Storm isn't.

And I don't really care if people wanna try to insult me about this. No skin off my nose. I'll just keep having fun playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nogark View Post
    When the term "carebear" started being used it was what the people who played on pvp servers called people that played on pve servers, that was it, nothing less nothing more, i'm not sure when it became an insult.
    By intent? It was used as an insult from day one, for the same reason that "go back to hello kitty online" is insulting.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Gwartham View Post
    Carebear is a term that widely began being used in Ultima Online when a group of players *****ed cried and moaned that they were "forced" to fight and were perpetually killed by other players in a game that was totally created to be a open world.

UO's decision in creating a exact replica of the world, just where everything was all cute and flowery, and no non consensual combat existed, solidified the term.

Oh, wasn't sure exactly where it got started, AC is when i first heard the term.

Plane Walker

pvp balance belongs on pvp servers. pve servers should not have pvp "balancing".

/hatemewhatever

Champion of Telara

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    There's a word (rhymes with beer) often used to refer to gay people, which was, I kid you not, a derogatory and pretty much unacceptably crude word within my lifetime. There was a time when it got the same treatment that the synonym for a bundle of sticks does now, or worse.

Then some guys came along and said, "we're here, we're queer, get used to it". And now most of the people I know who are in one of the various categories so denoted will self-identify with the word.

I know people like to think that carebear is derogatory, but I really don't care what they think. I don't like PvP. I find PvP antifun. I don't object to competition, though I tend not to be especially competitive. I just don't enjoy PvP, so... I don't play it. At all. And if people wanna call me a carebear, well, fine by me. So what?

Usually, if they're trying to be offensive with that word, they're doing that because that's all they've got; they have no arguments for whatever position they're advancing, they're down to name-calling. At which point smiling and agreeing with the name leaves them with nothing at all, because they never actually had any kind of argument against it. They just relied on the emotional response to being called a name.

Me, I'm a cooperative player. I've cleared rifts with cross-faction people and spent extra effort to try to keep them alive (or, if not exactly "keep them alive", at least prevent things from killing them). If I were allowed to heal cross-faction players who were fighting rifts, I would... And yes, I'd do it in-character, because none of my characters are incandescently stupid due to an overdose of patriotism. They are all pretty much aware that the fight with the guardians is one both sides could survive, and the fight with the Blood Storm isn't.

And I don't really care if people wanna try to insult me about this. No skin off my nose. I'll just keep having fun playing the game.
    I get what you're saying, and agree. The best way to disarm someone is to agree with them, particularly if their argument has no merit. It both annoys them and leaves them feeling like they didn't get their point across, which works for me.

I don't like PVP as it stands in games now. I like the "idea" or what PVP can be. I'd be interested in trying 3 faction RvR for example. That would be interesting to me.

Or the type of PVP in Eve online. But yeah, at heart, I enjoy cooperating with more than beating up someone else.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by rimuladas View Post
    pvp balance belongs on pvp servers. pve servers should not have pvp "balancing".

/hatemewhatever
    But people who play on PVe servers, still PVP. I do, sometimes. There's not that much difference between server types. A company would have to come out with a LOT of servers to really cover everyone.

PVe ONLY, no PVP at all.
    PVe as a stands now.
    PVP.
    Hard core PVP.

And then an RP server for each of those options. It's not going to happen.

The problem is, PVP is part of Rift whether you want to PVP or not. Get too close to PVP NPCs in Shimmersand and they'll attack you, even if you're not flagged for PVP.

If your autoPVP flag option is switched off, you can't even defend yourself. Your option is to die...enable PVP.

If you defend yourself, you're flagged for PVP for five minutes. So this game really doesn't offer a pure PVe server at all.

I've actually sent in feedback about this, because frankly, I don't want to have to think about where I'm going in towns. If they're going to seperate the towns like they do in IPP, fine. Putting a couple of Guardian PVP NPCs in the middle of an area that has quests for me is just plain annoying.

Telaran

What i really find funny though is the people that roll on a pvp server but dont engage in pvp. Its like you just rolled on a pvp server for "street cred" and dont want to be associated with a "pve" server even though you play like you are in one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast