+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warfonts Need to Use a Hidden "Skill" Rating

Shadowlander

Default Warfonts Need to Use a Hidden "Skill" Rating

First and foremost I want to emphasize the hidden nature of this stat. This should be a statistic that is kept server side and is no way visible to the player in any way shape or form.
    The Problem

The skill levels of the respective teams is currently 100% luck based. This leads to most warfronts being completely steamrolled by one team (I am considering a "steamroll" by the winning team wining by a greater than 70% margin, so a 1000/300, 500/150, or 3/0 win). This occurrence is very common for solo queue play.

The Solution

In warfront, a wide variety of stats are already being calculated, damage dealt, healing done, etc. My solution would be to form an algorithm based on a combination of these stats to form a rating system. The "groups" for this system should be very large, as in a maximum of 3 groups, otherwise queue times would dramatically suffer and in all honesty 2 groups would probably be enough.

Why This Would Work
    1. This would separate players so that "Pros" aren't matched with "Beginners." This would also help separate pre-mades to an extent since most pre-mades would probably not being in the "Beginner" group.
    2. With the rating hidden, and the player not knowing which group they are in or even how the algorithm forms their rating, there would be no change to how the games themselves are played and prevent any new "hard-core versus casual" arguments.
    3. By limiting the groups to only 2 or 3, the variance in skill levels will still be quite massive. The actual way that games are played should change very little if even at all. These large groups will also prevent much increase, if any at all, in queue times. These groups also mean that the algorithm doesn't even need to be all that specific for pinpoint accuracy, it only needs to provide a very general idea.

I would appreciate any feedback on why you think this may or may not work.

Soulwalker

I agree that there should be a ranking for WF I don't care if they make it Hidden of not. You should be "ranked" based on how you preform. Base it off of how much DPS or HPS you deal. Then assemble each group with a mix of High and low DPS/HPS. AND yes I know that DPS/HPS is not the only factor in being a good player BUT it will balance the teams more.

Soulwalker

ALSO, IF a premade goes into a WF and most of the players are high ranked then the system should put as many High ranked Solo players into that game as well. This way the game is also challenging when you are playing with you friends in a premade.

Champion of Telara

Nice Idea, but unrealistic.

What would happen is the people who perform the objectives would be left as beginners and the people who run around attacking anyone and everyone (most of them have nothing to do with the objective) will be pros.

Now that I think about it... this may actually be a good idea until you graduate from beginner to pro.
    I don't like mean people, rude people and people who are not nice.

Herp Derp : 1. An expression used when you yourself, has done somthing extremely stupid and dopey. 2. A phrase said by idiotic morons who think they are cooler then they actually are. *Dictionary definition

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Delphya View Post
    What would happen is the people who perform the objectives would be left as beginners and the people who run around attacking anyone and everyone (most of them have nothing to do with the objective) will be pros.

Now that I think about it... this may actually be a good idea until you graduate from beginner to pro.
    You wouldn't have to worry about graduating, don't worry.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Delphya View Post

This is why the algorithm should not be based on a single stat such as damage dealt, and completing objectives (this is tracked on the scoreboard) should most certainly be part of that algorithm.

And to Dahrken, simply stating this is unrealistic does not help. Any reason why you feel that this is the case.

I would agree if this "ranking" were to be very accurate and specific with a the queue matching along a very small variance, but this only needs to be a very general ranking to solve a great deal of problems.

Forming any sort of rating system based on individual stats is a recipe for failure as they are always biased, for example damage dealt is biased towards AoE DPS, healing done is biased towards AoE healers, objectives taken is biased towards tanks. Certain souls such as support or CC roles would get completely ****ed, and powerful single target nukers that can shutdown healers and carriers would be rated below the AoE spammer that ended up doing absolutely nothing as his DPS got nullified by group heals.

The only way I could see this working is if you based it on overall Win/Loss ratio, like an Elo system - but that would have the effects of 1. far more players raging at losses (currently, when you lose a warfront, you might be annoyed but there are no lasting repercussions, with this change you would actually have a legitimate reason to be annoyed because it drags your Elo down) and 2. People that get carried by premades being dragged into high Elo, only to end up ruining it for their team.

This probably caused more problems than it solved in, for example, League of Legends, and I certainly don't think it would work here.

Having ruled out all possibilities, I see no more way that I could possibly agree to this thread.

No.
    Last edited by nand chan; 04-30-2011 at 08:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread