+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do Warfronts start with unevened numbers?

Soulwalker

Default Why do Warfronts start with unevened numbers?

I'm not a game designer and I don't claim to know everything, but it seems ridiculous to have one team start off a match with 4 whereas the other team has 6. Matches start uneven on a regular basis, and it has a large impact on the outcome of the warfront. It doesn't seem too difficult to me to simply make it where a match cannot start with an uneven numbered of played.

PvP is bad enough in this game already. You wait 15-25 minutes for queues even on weekends sometimes, half the times when you do get put in a game it's lopsided and almost over anyway. On top of that, a player who loves to PvP ends up falling behind in money and and items (Assuming they're not 50). I had to force myself to quest just so I could afford the level 40 mount and have decent items to PvP with.

I know the game is new still, and I don't expect it to be perfect. But there are a lot of PvP related issues that need fixing.

Soulwalker

It seems odder than that. I'll be waiting in queue for 10-15 minutes then finally join a wf that started 5 minutes ago with only 4 people on my side until I show up partway through. I mean, really?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentina View Post
    It seems odder than that. I'll be waiting in queue for 10-15 minutes then finally join a wf that started 5 minutes ago with only 4 people on my side until I show up partway through. I mean, really?
    Yeah I was wondering the same thing and after you join the group mysterously fills up. I often wonder if the group was full and peole just quit thus letting me in or if the queueing system is messed up.

Rift Chaser

I have a theory on this, though I lack solid proof it just makes sense.

If 5 people queue for a WF on each side and say all 5 guards accept the queue right away but only 3 defiant do and the other 2 let the timer run down then you have 5 on 3. Since the 2 people let the timer run down their place is "held full" until they are removed from the queue. Then the game goes to the next in the list. If that person accepts they fill the spot, if they ignore and let the timer run down then that spot is still "held full" even though there's no one in the WF. This process repeats until someone accepts or there are no more people queued up.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you've ever queued with a group and one of your group goes afk and/or misses the queue you'll see this sort of thing happen.
    My hybrid just kicked your ***, how sad are you?

I have to say I'm actually pleased with the system. Most games I get into the numbers are fair, or one team is leading by a person. That's pretty damn good. Other games I've played shafted me with like 3-5 less people (out of 15) easily every game.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Unspecified View Post
    I have a theory on this, though I lack solid proof it just makes sense.

If 5 people queue for a WF on each side and say all 5 guards accept the queue right away but only 3 defiant do and the other 2 let the timer run down then you have 5 on 3. Since the 2 people let the timer run down their place is "held full" until they are removed from the queue. Then the game goes to the next in the list. If that person accepts they fill the spot, if they ignore and let the timer run down then that spot is still "held full" even though there's no one in the WF. This process repeats until someone accepts or there are no more people queued up.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you've ever queued with a group and one of your group goes afk and/or misses the queue you'll see this sort of thing happen.
    you are correct, this is exactly how it works. i think that trions system is pretty awesome on this level. anyone remember quing for arathi basin in wow, and getting in with 3 against 15 or some crazyness. this is after being in the que for 25 minutes. then the game ends early because you do not have enough on your side :P trion does a good job of keeping the number of players relatively close, and prevents games from ending early in this regard.

Not everyone clicks Enter Warfront when it pops. Some wait, some totally miss it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm3r View Post
    I have to say I'm actually pleased with the system. Most games I get into the numbers are fair, or one team is leading by a person. That's pretty damn good. Other games I've played shafted me with like 3-5 less people (out of 15) easily every game.
    The problem though is that this game's PvP doesn't really take much skill, and most gear's stats are the same. The greens I can craft, the ones that drop and the blues from dungeons are all very similar to each other. My point is, it's very difficult to make up for a missing teammate. In a small map like Black Garden, a 4v5 is a huge disadvantage. In a big map like Codex, you need bodies to be all over the map or you will lose quickly. Whitefall is pretty much the only map where being down one isn't a huge deal right off the bat.

Also I don't think it's fair to compare Rift to other games. I enjoy Rift a lot, but let's be honest...it's not even close to a unique or groundbreaking game. It heavily borrows from other MMOs and it shouldn't be hard to get the things right that need to be a certain way.

trion cant force ppl to not go afk randomly to do other things like get a drink, take a piss etc

this system is leaps and bounds ahead of wow's one where u start games with 5v15 ABs or and the game turns into a 5cap 6min game then u have to wait another 30mins to get in another game of 5v15

the most ive ever seen was a +2 advantage in this game and those spots were usually filled out less than a minute into the game

Milz

+ Reply to Thread