+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guild Wars and Starcraft 2 Figured it Out

Sword of Telara

Default Guild Wars and Starcraft 2 Figured it Out

Have abilities work differently in PVP than in PVE. This could easily transfer to warfront play in rift.

In Starcraft, if an ability or unit is immensely powerful in PVP matches, it is toned down without effecting the PVE variant of the ability/unit. The same philosophy could be applied in MMO's, like GW did.

In GW, if an ability was too strong in pvp they just adjusted it so that <<in PVP>> it's effect was scaled back. This didnt ruin PVE abilities and didnt cause the endless slope of nerf/buff/nerf/buff and QQ flooding. Many (please note i didnt say everyone) view Guild Wars pvp as a very balanced, skill vs. skill rather than OP/Gear vs OP/Gear game.

I wish this was the norm, just a few differences would be

Reavers having the ability to PVE farm effectively
    Clerics could heal raids like a machine w/o being so immensely difficult to kill in pvp
    Paladins could keep their on-block abilities as they are, w/o having them altered every patch
    Mana draining abilities could be altered to be threatening in PVP w/o being obscene, and altered to be useful in PVE vs. caster bosses.
    Titans Strike could keep its damage and stun in pve, while having the toned down version in pvp
    Saboteurs could still be able to pewpew in pve without one-shotting in pvp

There are more, probably more for your class in particular that you can think of. I personally think that if they balanced abilities in warfronts separately from those in the outside world, we could have much more competitive pvp in rift.
    Last edited by Corebot; 04-30-2011 at 12:05 PM.

The system is there, they just havent utilized it to what it could be.

Rift Disciple

Very true. I always enjoyed GW pvp because of that very same thing of how they change abilities in PvP and keep them a certain way in PvE. Also, some abilities even completely change in PvP. Like a ritualist Ritual, I think Vampirism, it gives health when it attacks in PvE. In PvP, it instead gives energy.

Telaran

Don't compare SC2 to Rift, that game actually takes a significant amount of skill.

Shadowlander

A side note, EQ2 has the PvP and PvE stats on gear and abilities... surprisingly it does not change much. If it sucks in PvE it sucks in PvP too. If its great in PvE even with nerfed stats its good in PvP too.

Did you seriously just compare SC2 to a MMO? You must be a SC2 bronzie.
    Last edited by Visions; 05-01-2011 at 02:03 AM.

MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    Did you seriously just compare SC2 to a MMO? You must be a SC2 bronzie.
    Completely missed the point.

And I was r6 diamond 1's r1 diamond 2's. This was before masters I stopped playing before then.

Just because you play both and they are *shocker* different doesn't mean they don't have similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Corebot View Post

And I was r6 diamond 1's r1 diamond 2's. This was before masters I stopped playing before then.

Just because you play both and they are *shocker* different doesn't mean they don't have similarities.
    I was platinum before there was a diamond league.

Ziw
    Shadowlander

Default Trion already claimed to have this function.. they don't.

This was one of the things that sold me on Rift in the first place. I listened to many podcasts and interviews where the dev's raved on about how they could tweak pvp and pve independantly. Then they released the first patch and nerfed pve due to pvp whine.. what happened to this wonderful system Trion promised?
    Last edited by Ziw; 05-01-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Itt: SC2 players are ******s with fragile little epeens
    Last edited by Shredicus; 05-01-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: zerg rush so skilled more marines harhar

I think a big problem is that Trion hasn't really decided about how to deal with world PvP. Remember that a huge percentage of the players are on PvP servers.

I'm sure it is possible to make PvP specific abilities, but all that gets messy once you throw in PvE targets. Even Port Scion has PvE targets.

Separating PvP and PvE is a fantastic idea.

It seems the waves of nerfs/buffs has already begun..?

Quote Originally Posted by Corebot View Post

The similarities as you'd like to call them do not fit the dynamics of a MMO. MMOs are balanced around small group, [OR] large group fights. SC2 is balanced race for race, with ONE person playing that race. They don't balance SC2 based off of 4v4 matches.

That said, SC2 released with Terran being a complete race because of the campaign, and it saddened me to see a lot of stuff left out of the ladder system, and it was sad to see Zerg, and Protoss being incomplete races. Even Broodwars had a more complete Zerg, and Protoss army.

I think you misunderstood why they left a lot of what Terran got in the campaign. The games are just far, far to different to even compare on any level really.

As far as Guildwars getting it right, I'm glad you liked the game, but it didn't deliver for many, many gamers. Most long term, and old time gamers don't even speak about their time playing it to be honest, myself included. We didn't like the change in MMO or pen and paper dynamics we were accustom too.

A lot of games have different stats for PvP, that they do in PvE. You forgot to mention Everquest 2, Aion, and YES even Rift. Have you noticed that CC duration in Rift is shorter for PvP?

Before I make an assumption, are you trying to say there are imbalances GROUP ON GROUP in Rift?

MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

+ Reply to Thread