+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Arenas + Rift Thread | (Y/N)

Default The Arenas + Rift Thread | (Y/N)

So I had no idea until I visited these forums that arenas are basically hated by the Rift community, or at least by most.
    Let's hear why.

Here is my 2cents:

I've heard some argue that they require no skill compared to warfronts and that it is all about class composition, as demonstrated by WoW's arenas.
    I would have to strongly disagree. People who have said this are most likely sour towards arenas because they stepped in a WoW arena, did awful, and came to the immediate conclusion that it's because of the classes they played against. In order to be good in arenas you need to have an almost complete understanding of all the classes, very, very good teamwork and communication, awareness on everything that is going on around you, and able to make good decisions very quickly. In arenas one mistake can lose the game. Sure team composition is critical, but patches can make sure not one comp is unbearably overpowered (dk's season 5). And yes, obviously 2v2 is almost completely comp oriented, I'm talking about 3v3 and up here...In World of Warcraft's arenas I've gotten glad 11 times on many different classes, so I do have a good sense of arenas, in WoW at least.

Obviously this game is different from World of Warcraft, and it if Trion were to implement them it would be a great challenge, one which they are obviously not ready to undertake at the moment. No, i do not think every spec should be viable in arenas (or warfronts for that matter, but that's a different topic). It would be an impossible feat to keep all the different soul compositions evenly viable in arenas.

Some say they don't like how in WoW you have to do arenas to get the best gear (or at least used to beofre cata). I like WoW's system right now: to get the best pvp gear you have to either do well in arenas or do well in rated battlegrounds.
    If somebody can get the best pvp gear from warfronts then there will be bad players in the best gear. Also in general, getting gear from the current warfront system, where it's not possible to lose favor, I believe makes it too easy to get the best gear.

/rant
    Ktperry, 50 Dwarf Marksman

The word "arena" is a stigma. Many of those that did not participate in WoW's arena felt left out because Blizzard balanced PvP solely around a small group of three players versus another group of three players. Here's a thought, if I were to suggest a new warfront type in which the goal was to kill the other team before they killed yours where available brackets were 5v5, 7v7, and 12v12 would you be up for it? It sounds a lot more pleasing when put that way, whether or not they be associated with a ranked ladder is another matter. Only talking about the core idea it isn't so bad after all.
    Last edited by Arieswar; 04-29-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Arieswar View Post
    The word "arena" is a stigma. Many of those that did not participate in WoW's arena felt left out because Blizzard balanced PvP solely around a small group of three players versus another group of three players. Here's a thought, if I were to suggest a new warfront type in which the goal was to kill the other team before they killed yours where available brackets were 5v5, 7v7, and 12v12 would you be up for it? It sounds a lot more pleasing when put that way, whether or not they be associated with a ranked ladder is another matter. Only talking about the core idea it isn't so bad after all.
    The issue with larger scale arena is the more people the more 'Zergy' it becomes even in WoW 5v5 can be a bit zergy at times.

Think 3v3, 5v5 and a 10v10 would be the go that way those who don't want 10 v 10 can play 3s or 5s ect ect

Don't try to drag that crap here. If you want to arena then go play wow. Blizzard ruins their pve with all the arena / pvp micro of their classes.
    If you want to promote something help promote more world pvp. Dark age of camelot had the best pvp system bar none. cross server world pvp has the best fun factor in any pvp type mmo.
    Incase you didn't know...

World of Warcraft is the Candyland of MMOs. It's easy to learn, easy to play, has lots of bright colors and made for ages 6 and up.

Briarcliff - Guardian, Mage

Come get some!

Quote Originally Posted by Bail View Post
    The issue with larger scale arena is the more people the more 'Zergy' it becomes even in WoW 5v5 can be a bit zergy at times.

Think 3v3, 5v5 and a 10v10 would be the go that way those who don't want 10 v 10 can play 3s or 5s ect ect
    That's because the arena sandboxes themselves were quite small and only had a couple line of sight points (in fact one had pretty much none). Maps here could be much more dynamic. If you had ever watched any high level streams you might have been surprised by their level of strategy going in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilelated View Post
    Don't try to drag that crap here. If you want to arena then go play wow. Blizzard ruins their pve with all the arena / pvp micro of their classes.
    If you want to promote something help promote more world pvp. Dark age of camelot had the best pvp system bar none. cross server world pvp has the best fun factor in any pvp type mmo.
    Exactly the kind of childish post I was trying to dismiss in my first comment. I had already said Blizzard couldn't do it right because they balanced around a very small bracket. Why is it we cannot have both world PvP and a new warfront type? I personally don't care for world PvP and I know others don't care for new instanced warfronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Arieswar View Post
    That's because the arena sandboxes themselves were quite small and only had a couple line of sight points (in fact one had pretty much none). Maps here could be much more dynamic. If you had ever watched any high level streams you might have been surprised by their level of strategy going in.

Exactly thke kind of childish post I was trying to dismiss in my first comment. I had already said Blizzard couldn't do it right because they balanced around a very small bracket. Why is it we cannot have both world PvP and a new warfront type? I personally don't care for world PvP and I know others don't care for new instanced warfronts.
    I left wow because of the weak pvp instance bg's and the constant micro. It was aweful. We went from having fluid talent builds to this 41 point everybody is exactly the same. All arenas promote is people figure out the best ftp makeup for the most cc and dps and then drops them in a room where you have no room to move. Not to mention no pots no way to throw a wrench on someone's plan. It's all about I have to do this when they do that. And then memorize it and we win. How many arenas do you think rogues would win if they had to deal with free action potions? Arenas are horrible and balance all pc around it. Even worse. Not to mention the whole we don't see enough of this class so we will micro it so we see more. Not even caring what it does to pve.
    I have a strong dislike for arenas and bg's. Doesn't make my comment childish. I prefer to see more world action over more confined space premade crap. You obviously never played a good pvp game like dark age of camelot. War went to wow like and they ruined it. Small roaming groups in world pvp are far more exciting than sitting in a city waiting for a stupid Que only to fight in some tiny *** arena.

World of Warcraft is the Candyland of MMOs. It's easy to learn, easy to play, has lots of bright colors and made for ages 6 and up.

Come get some!

Agreed need some small scale WFs.

Hate having to rely on RNG pubs, and DPS clerics....
    Last edited by Krazer; 04-29-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Also, forgot to mention this.

The real thing that i loved in WoW arenas was how competitive it was/could be. The ranking system/ladder was what made it awesome. Also, the rewards for working hard and being some of the best (gear, titles, mounts, ect.).

Quote Originally Posted by Ktperry View Post
    Also, forgot to mention this.

The real thing that i loved in WoW arenas was how competitive it was/could be. The ranking system/ladder was what made it awesome. Also, the rewards for working hard and being some of the best (gear, titles, mounts, ect.).
    Lol, with all the macros and arena addons it was a joke. Lol I love how new mmo players think wow was the first mmo ever. I'm done with this waste of time. If you love arenas go play wow lol girls.

Come get some!

Lol, with all the macros and arena addons it was a joke. Lol I love how new mmo players think wow was the first mmo ever. I'm done with this waste of time. If you love arenas go play wow lol girls.

Care to elaborate? probably not because you're a 13 year old troll.

What macros made arenas in WoW a joke?

Yes gladius was/is very helpful in arenas, but it definitely did not make arenas joke. The good WoW players don't even play with addons because they can't in tournaments. But the point is, just because you had gladius did NOT at ALL mean you would do well. It gave you a tiny advantage, and everybody has it anyways.

If the addons and macros made it a joke where is your rank 1 title?
    Everybody talks about how WoW arenas are the easiest thing in the world. If they are, why aren't you making easy money off it?

How many times will someone beat a dead horse?

There will be NO arena in Rift, get real. You're not in Azeroth anymore, perhaps you should just go back? There's no place like home?
    A PRO QUOTE BELOW:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    You seem to be happy with Eradicate. I'm glad. The longer it stays in, the better. It's a non-threat spec. You're there to Purge things. I can avoid that by either making sure you're focused first, to which you have no answer, or I can go Pyro or SC and let you Eradicate all day.

Quote Originally Posted by xaed View Post

There will be NO arena in Rift, get real. You're not in Azeroth anymore, perhaps you should just go back? There's no place like home?
    Do you know how to *****ng read?

I'm simply asking why. Get out of my thread child.

Champion of Telara

If you're gonna copy wows features (which they did), why waste time and money on copying on one of the least popular?

That's why.
    Dancer/Yeah of Briarcliff

Quote Originally Posted by Ktperry View Post
    Do you know how to *****ng read?

I'm simply asking why. Get out of my thread child.
    Do YOU know how to nyerking read? Why? here's why.. The answer has been around since beta 1, they don't want to be forced to balance a game based on an e-sport will not let Rift become that.

search is your friend child, I know of a game that has the arena you seek. Stop beating the dead horse and just go back to kansas if you miss it so much.
    Last edited by xaed; 04-29-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    A PRO QUOTE BELOW:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    You seem to be happy with Eradicate. I'm glad. The longer it stays in, the better. It's a non-threat spec. You're there to Purge things. I can avoid that by either making sure you're focused first, to which you have no answer, or I can go Pyro or SC and let you Eradicate all day.

I left wow because of the weak pvp instance bg's and the constant micro. It was aweful. We went from having fluid talent builds to this 41 point everybody is exactly the same. All arenas promote is people figure out the best ftp makeup for the most cc and dps and then drops them in a room where you have no room to move. Not to mention no pots no way to throw a wrench on someone's plan. It's all about I have to do this when they do that. And then memorize it and we win. How many arenas do you think rogues would win if they had to deal with free action potions? Arenas are horrible and balance all pc around it. Even worse. Not to mention the whole we don't see enough of this class so we will micro it so we see more. Not even caring what it does to pve.
    I have a strong dislike for arenas and bg's. Doesn't make my comment childish. I prefer to see more world action over more confined space premade crap. You obviously never played a good pvp game like dark age of camelot. War went to wow like and they ruined it. Small roaming groups in world pvp are far more exciting than sitting in a city waiting for a stupid Que only to fight in some tiny *** arena.
    You have the same instanced warfront system here as you do in WoW. It is alright to copy one aspect of a game and not another? You should watch for double standards. I never recall being able to raid as anything other than BM or PvP without a drain build in BC so your assertion that there was no set build is also false. If you would stop ignoring the context of my post for a second and just ranting on the subject of what you perceive as a bad idea I already said the arena sandboxes were too small and arena here ought to be on a much more grand scale. I never said there should be restrictions to available buffs or debuffs and so again you are ignoring my context.

I will agree to disagree when on the topic of instanced premade PvP versus world PvP and which is better. There is no reason why both cannot be supported. The argument is moot and I will not repeat myself on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by xaed View Post

Except RIFT's whole PvP structure is based on WoW's.

Let me reiterate on what parameters go into my perception of arena: a warfront in which you may solo queue or premade into three separate brackets including 5v5, 7v7, or 12v12 where the objective of the skirmish is to kill the other team before they kill yours.

No ladder, no special rules that apply outside of the normal warfront ruleset, nothing of the sort. I'm not looking for the e-sport that Blizzard failed in supporting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast