+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tank in PvP - Can we get PvP gear?

Telaran

Default Tank in PvP - Can we get PvP gear?

I for one enjoy PvP a lot, the thing that always bothers me is.... im a Tank - thats what i do.
    But there is NEVER Tanking gear in PvP, Can we get some? - Just change Toughness into Valor and Poof its what we want.

For those saying Tanks dont belong in PvP. - Fine. then you dont belong in dungeon groups.
    But just because i choose to Tank, should not remove me from 1/3 the game entirely. i should be able to enjoy PvP just like everyone else.

Look at the Warrior PvP Tree, It has Blocking Bonuses. yet none of our gear is Designed for Tanking. i do NOT want to use all my PvE gear in PvP. Give me a Tanking set for PvP - Remove the Crit and Attack power.. Give me Block - or hell Resist gear even. But im sure thats asking too much.

Just take the T1 and T2 gear Make the Toughness Say Valor . and let me enjoy. -
    Just make the Valor Equal to the DPS gear.

Soulwalker

Tanks in pvp. IMO being a tank in pvp is currently the ONLY way to pvp. Seeing a warrior with a 2h weapon means easy kill to almost any class. i'm leveling a warrior now (lvl 33 atm)and sometimes i feel froggy and go into a WF as champion spec. I'm targeted fasted than a polar bear finding a baby seal. seeing that 2h wpn is a sure indicator of easy kill. I know this cause i also have a lvl 50 rogue and cleric. and if i EVER see a warrior with the balls to use a 2h weapon, i slaughter him and lol him. A lot of my guildies agree, dps warrior is no longer a viable pvp spec. low to no survivability. I know skill is required, but like i said, that 2H weapon stand out, and they will flock to you cause your an easy kill. I agree, give us pvp gear for tanks, seeing how you made it the only way to play pretty much.

Champion of Telara

No. No. No.

You should not be encouraged to be worthless.
    Dancer/Yeah of Briarcliff

Both of these posts smack of inexperience and confusion about roles. Tanks have a place in PvP, they survive and use various control abilities (silences, mass roots, pushes, pulls) as well as, for warriors, using Guard and Subdue to manage damage to your team or from specific enemies and Justicar pair abilities to provide single target reinforcement. Specific tanking gear is unnecessary as you get valor which acts as a primary damage reducer and you can then choose to use shields and block/parry/dodge essences and off-slots.

Conversely, dps classes do have a place. When geared, specced and played properly they can lay out shocking amounts of damage, especially when cooldowns are blown at the right times. In the scheme of things, DPS are on the bottom of the pole in importance when it comes to field control but they are still important. If you find that charging in alone suddenly gets you focused then that's because you're taking a non-tank build out of range of your support and into the center of attention. Essentially trying to tank the entire team as they're afraid of your damage and want you to die before you make them do the same. Geared Champs wreck at 50. The forums say they don't but being hit by them, I can confirm that they do.

Tanking in PvP isn't the same as tanking in PvE. What makes PvP tanking gear, in part, is Valor but just turning PvE tank gear into PvP tank gear won't accomplish anything. The equipment you need exists, the equipment you want doesn't because what you want to do is inapplicable to PvP.
    Last edited by exLupo; 04-27-2011 at 02:38 PM.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Champion of Telara

No, they don't have a place, everything a tank can do a DPS can do while ~ACTUALLY DOING DAMAGE~. Are you even level 50?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
    Both of these posts smack of inexperience and confusion about roles. Tanks have a place in PvP, they survive and use various control abilities (silences, mass roots, pushes, pulls) as well as, for warriors, using Guard and Subdue to manage damage to your team or from specific enemies and Justicar pair abilities to provide single target reinforcement. Specific tanking gear is unnecessary as you get valor which acts as a primary damage reducer and you can then choose to use shields and block/parry/dodge essences and off-slots.

Conversely, dps classes do have a place. When geared, specced and played properly they can lay out shocking amounts of damage, especially when cooldowns are blown at the right times. In the scheme of things, DPS are on the bottom of the pole in importance when it comes to field control but they are still important. If you find that charging in alone suddenly gets you focused then that's because you're taking a non-tank build out of range of your support and into the center of attention. Essentially trying to tank the entire team as they're afraid of your damage and want you to die before you make them do the same. Geared Champs wreck at 50. The forums say they don't but being hit by them, I can confirm that they do.

Tanking in PvP isn't the same as tanking in PvE. What makes PvP tanking gear, in part, is Valor but just turning PvE tank gear into PvP tank gear won't accomplish anything. The equipment you need exists, the equipment you want doesn't because what you want to do is inapplicable to PvP.
    Um - Im not asking for PvE Gear, - and for you to tell me Valor IS my tanking gear, then you dont play a tank. You show me where Valor Effect my ability to block and dodge and parry, and then i'll agree. until then.. Give me Valor gear that has BLock Dodge and Parry. Valor is simply to make me Equal in regards of everyone else in PvP gear.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by faction View Post
    No, they don't have a place, everything a tank can do a DPS can do while ~ACTUALLY DOING DAMAGE~. Are you even level 50?
    You Sir/Ma'am are 1--% wrong. With a healer how long is your Happy butt going to stay alive guarding the Port Scion bridge? - You give a Tank the same healer and the other team wont get to that flag nearly as easily. And if you say its easier. then your tank doesnt know how to slap the person grabbing flag and using an AoE to keep many ppl off the flag. all while taking lower damage because why? they are Tank.

we tanks KNOW we are not there to deal the damage. - i dont want to be top dps in PvP, i want to be low Deaths with highest possible Damage received. if im top Damage received and only got 2-3 deaths. that means im a good PvP tank.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by OskarUngart View Post
    I for one enjoy PvP a lot, the thing that always bothers me is.... im a Tank - thats what i do.
    But there is NEVER Tanking gear in PvP, Can we get some? - Just change Toughness into Valor and Poof its what we want.

For those saying Tanks dont belong in PvP. - Fine. then you dont belong in dungeon groups.
    But just because i choose to Tank, should not remove me from 1/3 the game entirely. i should be able to enjoy PvP just like everyone else.

Look at the Warrior PvP Tree, It has Blocking Bonuses. yet none of our gear is Designed for Tanking. i do NOT want to use all my PvE gear in PvP. Give me a Tanking set for PvP - Remove the Crit and Attack power.. Give me Block - or hell Resist gear even. But im sure thats asking too much.

Just take the T1 and T2 gear Make the Toughness Say Valor . and let me enjoy. -
    Just make the Valor Equal to the DPS gear.
    Man - I wish more folks had played Dark Age of Camelot (at 50 as a long term raider - not someone who did a trial and left - ty but we get too much counter comments from those folks).

You run a team - people have roles. Though I will admit Trion is already not built for pvp - a 5 man group is very limiting (we had 8 man groups in Dark Age).

Healer
    Healer/Support Healer
    mdps (melee who could burst through initial CC with a charge ability)
    mdps (same ^^)
    rdps
    shield tank (to guard healer or 1 dps or swap out shield guard when needed and 9 sec stun shield slam incoming)
    Speed class (DAoC so we had to have our bard/minstrel/skald)
    CC class (could be the healer - depending on realm or a caster)

This group was one example - second healer was to support the frst healer and or group when an opposing dps train assisted on the first healer.

You also had ranged caster variants and all melee variants...also had pbaoe bomb group variants.

Point is - you organize a group where each person has a specific job. I used to play a shield tank - my only job was to keep the healers alive - swapping out shield guard (we could block incoming dps on our guarded target), and shield slamming enemies to slow a dps train to a crawl as my healers kited. With artifact abilities like Bodyguard, I could have the healer stand in one spot and I could stand next to him and have some pretty amazing defense so he could keep healing.

Create a team that utilizes the strengths of that team to deal with enemies. Rebuild (in this case soul swap) until you find a nice balance and make a super tight well oiled pvp machine.

A champ should be running with your dps team - putting the smack down on folks - and being able to count on heals.

Christ - where have these players gone? Dark Age of Camelot was the University of PvP - You know these folks when you engage a premade and they tear face.
    Last edited by Komaf; 04-27-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Champion of Telara

You Sir/Ma'am are 1--% wrong. With a healer how long is your Happy butt going to stay alive guarding the Port Scion bridge? - You give a Tank the same healer and the other team wont get to that flag nearly as easily. And if you say its easier. then your tank doesnt know how to slap the person grabbing flag and using an AoE to keep many ppl off the flag. all while taking lower damage because why? they are Tank.

we tanks KNOW we are not there to deal the damage. - i dont want to be top dps in PvP, i want to be low Deaths with highest possible Damage received. if im top Damage received and only got 2-3 deaths. that means im a good PvP tank.
    Hahahaha yeah you're going to stop them from getting to the flag with your 40 damage attacks and dots, they're just deathly afriaid of you. Or you could just play a champion with a whole 2k less health and have FAR superior utility and superior damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonarou View Post
    Tanks in pvp. IMO being a tank in pvp is currently the ONLY way to pvp. Seeing a warrior with a 2h weapon means easy kill to almost any class. i'm leveling a warrior now (lvl 33 atm)and sometimes i feel froggy and go into a WF as champion spec. I'm targeted fasted than a polar bear finding a baby seal. seeing that 2h wpn is a sure indicator of easy kill. I know this cause i also have a lvl 50 rogue and cleric. and if i EVER see a warrior with the balls to use a 2h weapon, i slaughter him and lol him. A lot of my guildies agree, dps warrior is no longer a viable pvp spec. low to no survivability. I know skill is required, but like i said, that 2H weapon stand out, and they will flock to you cause your an easy kill. I agree, give us pvp gear for tanks, seeing how you made it the only way to play pretty much.
    I don't even know where to start on this...

Warriors with the right spec can nearly one shot almost any class. They simply have more abilities off GCD that do massive damage. I am sorry if you have managed not to find the rather simple macro needed to do this, but I am sure once you figure out how to do a Google search this will resolve its self.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by faction View Post
    Like running a flag?
    Carrying the fang?
    Making a big push into the back lines of the enemy forces, thus spreading them out and opening a hole for your melee DPS to push through?

DPS isn't the only viable role in a warfront. There's healing too

Champion of Telara

You can swap spec while running the flag or carrying the fang. There is absolutely 0 benefit to being a tank in actual fighting, other than having convinced yourself that you're useful while the rest of your team is secretly thinking "what a waste of ******* slot."

Give me Valor gear that has BLock Dodge and Parry. Valor is simply to make me Equal in regards of everyone else in PvP gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
    Specific tanking gear is unnecessary as you get valor which acts as a primary damage reducer and you can then choose to use shields and block/parry/dodge essences and off-slots.
    Valor gear exists as a unified set. Any further role customization you so choose is done with non-set slots, essences and enchants.

You say that I have no idea what it means to tank in PvP. Please explain what you expect to accomplish as a defense stacked tank and how you will force players to not ignore you in PvP so your parry/block/dodge PvEvP gear stats will matter.

Edit:
    Flag Running - This is somewhat valid but positional defenses mean less than you would expect.
    "Big Push" - Noted above. There is no collision so you can't really push. Defense stacked "tanks" are ignored in melee and focused once their support is dead.
    Last edited by exLupo; 04-27-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Telaran

Default Faction your a troll, just leave.

As for exLupo, Have you played a Tank in PvP? - Its amazing how a tank CAN get aggro on players, even my wimpy 100-200 damage slaps - i can solo a few players 1 on 1 -
    But take Codex for example.
    Im guarding a flag. If their is a group with me, i just stand near the flag and slap anyone who comes near it. is it piddly crap yes. but it stops them from Capping it.

And please have a look at the Warrior PvP soul, and note all the (When blocking) abilities. theirs like 4-5 of them. and our 20 points in gives 10% Block dodge and Parry to all in area.. Seriously. a Tank is Viable PvP you just need to get your mind past the DPS is WIN!!. Yeah but 1 tank per group can make a big impact. and keep the opposing team off flags/Hold Fangs/Run fangs - They just need to play right, and be where they are needed.. not dpsing, keeping people off flags and stuff while others Dps.

Your not going to find a champ standing by a flag 'Guarding it' they will be out chasing healers and DPSing. - Who is left to watch the flag so a rogue don't come in and snake it?

Give me my +Block +Parry +Dodge +Valor Gear. - Its not like im going to use it in Dungeons.. that's Suicide. cause No toughness.
    Last edited by OskarUngart; 04-27-2011 at 05:49 PM.

haahah tanks are realy very ok in pvp ,uw ant blcok on pvp gear nub

BUAUHAHh ....learn 2 pllay
    Last edited by Cyborg; 04-27-2011 at 05:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast