+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Focus in PvP

Default Focus in PvP

How useful is the Focus stat in PvP? All I manage to find regarding Focus and its caps are regarding PvE.

Focus does nothing in pve.
    RIFT: Tharizdun - Pyro51/archmage15/dom0 - Whitefall. PR6 since 29/04/11.
    WoW: Bael - Warlock - Dragonbligth
    Warhammer: Tharizdun - Magus - Karak-Azgal, Yurtrus - Shaman - Karak-Azgal, Semuanya - White Lion - Karak-Azgal.

Warhammer Solo PvP Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2elujlQJdVA

Focus is needed when you get resists (let's say you are mage and cast a spell on a mob. If you see lot of resists on screen get more focus).
    They basically ask 50 focus for T1 dungeons and around 100+ (i think 150) for T2 dungeons.

I have no idea for PVP, if you see enemy players resist your spells then get some more focus.
    If you are melee, then hit will be the stat to get rid of those resists.

That's all I know about focus. You can get some decent runes to improve it.
    Mage Azhriaz lvl 39 ~ Cloudborne ~ Souls: Necromancer/Warlock/Dominator

Champion of Telara

Focus and hit work in pvp.

1 focus item will usually get you 4-5%, which is enough to almost completely eliminate random misses
    Dancer/Yeah of Briarcliff

Quote Originally Posted by faction View Post
    1 focus item will usually get you 4-5%, which is enough to almost completely eliminate random misses
    Does this assume that the opponent has 0 resistance? Or is that unrelated?

Champion of Telara

i don't know, no one actually knows what the pvp hit cap is, but i never miss on my warrior just using a green hit necklace from some stillmoor quest.
    Dancer/Yeah of Briarcliff

Plane Touched

Supposedly Hit also counteracts Dodge/Parry, though I have no idea if that's actually true or not.

The lack of information gives me plenty of dissatisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleevoe View Post
    The lack of information gives me plenty of dissatisfaction.
    Yep, it is annoying - eh? Would think Trion would have something out there with some of the base information available. There are a couple of sites, sometimes they even agree on the info. But sometimes they agree on information that is outdated, so who knows, eh?

Will be interesting to see if the 1.2 Add #1 for GoS includes the miss chance as well as mitigation. If so, Pyros in GoS will sport 12.5% - that is, a 12.5% to resist incoming magic damage (on top of the 20% mitigation they get).

I see resists from time to time - but I'm not sure I see them enough to look into Focus runes or have to go through the PvE treadmill to get a PvE weapon eventually.

Plane Touched SoulreaverTulshar's Avatar

i had no focus till yesterday. i have leveled my toon from 1-48 in warfronts.

the only difference i see is my source engine grater essences proc a ton more on players with focus on. i have 83 focus now. again i am not up for pve since every encounter is the same its not appealing to me. so i pvp. but a lot of good gear for mages has focus so i noticed this when i swapped to it.
    Last edited by SoulreaverTulshar; 04-27-2011 at 07:32 AM.
    He glided through the noonday sunshine's oppressive heat, moving as if always cloaked in shadows, though the
    place had few, and as if even the ever-present dust could not touch him.
    Soulreaver Tulshar"d"Oloth
    deth ulu jal lu'thalra Haruk http://Doom-clan.guildlaunch.com/
    http://launchpad.guildlaunch.com/rec...g/gl/index.php
    http://www.guildlaunch.com

I started another thread which lead right back to this discussion, and some of the unanswered questions in this thread are now answered in that one.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...=1#post2493978

Plane Touched

You have an extremely small chance to miss or get a spell resisted versus an even level player. Also, no pvp armor has +hit or +focus on it. By all means though gimp yourself and use non pvp armor with +hit and + focus on it because you are a moron. It will just make you easier to kill to everyone else. +hit does nothing to improve your bypass of defenses by the way it just effects hit/miss chance.

Plane Touched

You have an extremely small chance to miss or get a spell resisted versus an even level player. Also, no pvp armor has +hit or +focus on it. I WOULD ASSUME ITS 100% INTENTIONAL BECAUSE THERE IS NO BENEFIT TO THOSE STATS IN PVP SO THE DEVS DIDNT PUT IT ON THE PVP GEAR. Thats bolded intentionally for all you geniuses who can't reason things out like that. By all means though gimp yourself and use non pvp armor with +hit and + focus on it because you are a moron. It will just make you easier to kill to everyone else. +hit does nothing to improve your bypass of defenses by the way it just effects hit/miss chance.

Champion of Telara

I've been told Focus is penetration in PvP.

It removes damage reduction from resists, which in turn makes you hit harder. So if someone has like 5% magic reduction through resists, focus will negate that number and make your spells hit for the full amount in addition to making it so you are never resisted outright.

They say this is part of the reason why blue bars are overpowered, as +hit just increases your chance to hit, but doesn't ignore armor reduction.

+ Reply to Thread