+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else think there's way too much CC in PvP?

Soulwalker

Default Anyone else think there's way too much CC in PvP?

PvP was a lot of fun at the lower levels, but in each tier there is progressively more and more CC as one can combine from multiple souls. In large groups especially, it seems one can easily spend almost as much time stunned, squirreled, bewildered, silenced, or slowed as actually playing. Approaching the enemy and being instantly rendered unable to control ones character for a long period does not make for interesting or engaging gameplay.

If the CC didn't last so long it would be more tolerable, but frequent five or more seconds of silence, stun or other similiar states (especially if those follow on each other's heels) equals a game more annoying and frustrating than challenging and fun, at least for me.

This issue is being addressed. In 1.2 Trion is increasing the length of diminishing returns.

The various notes for 1.2 from Trion suggest they are at least taking another initial look at it. Will have to see how it goes from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xujir View Post
    PvP was a lot of fun at the lower levels, but in each tier there is progressively more and more CC as one can combine from multiple souls. In large groups especially, it seems one can easily spend almost as much time stunned, squirreled, bewildered, silenced, or slowed as actually playing. Approaching the enemy and being instantly rendered unable to control ones character for a long period does not make for interesting or engaging gameplay.

If the CC didn't last so long it would be more tolerable, but frequent five or more seconds of silence, stun or other similiar states (especially if those follow on each other's heels) equals a game more annoying and frustrating than challenging and fun, at least for me.
    This is the exact opposite thing we hear from most of the people complaining about clerics.
    It is too difficult to CC and kill them or render them useless.

My favorite is when I burn break free and then get restunned 1/2 a second later.

Telaran

whats most annoying for me is aoe fear

Quote Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
    This is the exact opposite thing we hear from most of the people complaining about clerics.
    It is too difficult to CC and kill them or render them useless.

My favorite is when I burn break free and then get restunned 1/2 a second later.
    There appears to be an issue with trying to CC certain players - regardless of whether they are a Cleric, Mage, Warrior, or Rogue.

Say you take a Warlock - Dominator. Say with this build you have the following abilities:

Transmogrify
    Death's Edict
    Dark Fury
    Choke
    Fear
    Priest's Lament
    Chastise
    Accelerated Decay
    Void Shroud
    Arresting Presence
    Overpowering Will
    Mass Exhaustion

And you think, hey - I should be pretty good to go here. And then you are clicking to respawn, because nothing you did - did anything. The Cleric or Mage continued to cast through everything - the Warrior or Rogue continued to stab at you with pointy sharp objects.

Oh sure, there are definite times where you will shut down people and go about your business. Yet there will always be those people that appear as if they are running around with GoS...

Got turned into a squirrel 8 times in one WF - whats with that crap

Quote Originally Posted by betty View Post
    Got turned into a squirrel 8 times in one WF - whats with that crap
    If somebody keeps dying, each time they respawn - they can usually be turned into a squirrel again...usually.

Transmogrify usually works the first time - there are plenty of times when you see IMMUNE floating above their names when you are the only Dom and you have not tried to squirrel them yet. It may work for half a tick a second time. Does not work a third time.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    If somebody keeps dying, each time they respawn - they can usually be turned into a squirrel again...usually.

Transmogrify usually works the first time - there are plenty of times when you see IMMUNE floating above their names when you are the only Dom and you have not tried to squirrel them yet. It may work for half a tick a second time. Does not work a third time.
    Sounds similiar to the results I had experimenting with fear. On the other hand, there have been many times squirrel (or other lengthy CC that breaks on damage) has lasted full duration on me, quickly followed by stun, followed by a silence, followed by clicking to respawn.

I'm glad Trion is taking steps to improve the situation, but I'm not sure simply increasing the window of diminishing returns will be enough, as some CCs don't seem to share DRs with each other at all. Is silence technically a CC? It feels like one.

Quote Originally Posted by Xujir View Post
    Sounds similiar to the results I had experimenting with fear. On the other hand, there have been many times squirrel (or other lengthy CC that breaks on damage) has lasted full duration on me, quickly followed by stun, followed by a silence, followed by clicking to respawn.

I'm glad Trion is taking steps to improve the situation, but I'm not sure simply increasing the window of diminishing returns will be enough, as some CCs don't seem to share DRs with each other at all. Is silence technically a CC? It feels like one.
    They really need to do an overall audit of all abilities (CC, DPS, healing, etc). I genuinely believe that things are not working as they intended them to work. Tooltips should be on NY Times Fiction Bestseller List.

If they could go through with a punch list to review everything - this is what we want X to do. Is X doing this? Yes, move on to the next. Is Y doing what we want Y to do? Hrmm, no. Okay, fix Y. And take it from there.

I think their reactionary changes to callings has caused all sorts of problems. It was one thing for them to fix bugged quests, etc. When it comes to callings - WTF?
    Last edited by VirusDancer; 04-22-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Ascendant

I would like CC to be both meaningful and require thought to use. This would involve scrapping diminishing returns completely and replacing it with immunity timers. In addition, some forms of CC would pair up to trigger the same immunity timers -and- some forms of CC would have duration increased to still be meaningful with the changes.

Something like:

Stun - Immunity timer 7x duration of stun (doesnt break on damage)

Fear/Confuse/Squirrel/ect - Immunity timer 5x duration (breaks on damage)

Root - Immunity timer 3x duration (breaks on damage, and you still can act while rooted). All root ability durations increased by 25%.

Snare - No immunity, but breaks on damage. All snare ability duration increased by 25%.

Mesmerize like abilities - Immunity timer 5x duration (breaks on damage), duration increase 50%.

Examples:

You get stunned for 3 seconds, you are immune for 21s

You get feared for 8 seconds, you are immune to confuse, squirrel, and fear for 40s.

A root that normally lasts 10 seconds, now lasts 12 ...but you become immune to roots for 36s.

It would need to be tweaked for balance, but requireing some thought in regards to CC is so much better for game play than the CC spam fest.
    Irony - Pathiss

Yes pls...anything is better than what it is now.
    Im so sick of seeing "ability blocked" "ability blocked" "ability blocked" "ability blocked"...oh I get to cast a spell, phew a heal got off.."ability blocked" "ability blocked" "ability blocked" ..dead.

Soulwalker

The ammount of CC and ability blocks are WAAAAAAAAAAAY to much on top of that each ability or most take WAAAY to long any form of CC that lasts longer then 5 seconds should be a rare thing.

Ive never ever seen it this crazy in any game and ive played alot.

This is a real deal breaking and if not adressed a valid reason for ANY pvp player to quit.

So trion u better fix this if you want rift to go anywhere.
    Last edited by Dakreh; 04-27-2011 at 09:04 AM.

I agree.

But I would just increase CD on CC skills across the board, and probably dump the passive CC's.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    There appears to be an issue with trying to CC certain players - regardless of whether they are a Cleric, Mage, Warrior, or Rogue.

Say you take a Warlock - Dominator. Say with this build you have the following abilities:

Transmogrify
    Death's Edict
    Dark Fury
    Choke
    Fear
    Priest's Lament
    Chastise
    Accelerated Decay
    Void Shroud
    Arresting Presence
    Overpowering Will
    Mass Exhaustion

And you think, hey - I should be pretty good to go here. And then you are clicking to respawn, because nothing you did - did anything. The Cleric or Mage continued to cast through everything - the Warrior or Rogue continued to stab at you with pointy sharp objects.

Oh sure, there are definite times where you will shut down people and go about your business. Yet there will always be those people that appear as if they are running around with GoS...
    Mages take a back seat to warriors in the CC department. Most of our CC actually drs and shares a dr. There are a few warrior builds that can chain cc without any DR. Nothing funnier then watching a warrior have access to way better CC then my 51 dom.
    "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."
    Albert Einstein
    Ovgan<FUN> Sunrest

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast