+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trion: Regarding your balancing techniques

Shadowlander

Default Trion: Regarding your balancing techniques

I'm concerned with the way you will be addressing PVP balance issues. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you are going to make one large patch that addresses a multitude of skills at one time, changing X skill on Y class, A skill on B class, and etc.

However I feel that addressing one class at a time through quicker-released patches would be more efficient than releasing one large patch that "fixes" everything all at once that take a week or more to make happen.

My argument is thus; the longer you take to fix something, the more frustrated the players become. As well, if you don't fix something enough or over-do it, you will disappoint some of your playerbase and it's not going to help if it takes a week or two to perfect.

I feel that dividing your focus into all classes all at once is going to make the process more troublesome than trying to adjust classes in small batches.

Start with what's being looked at as overpowered, get as much feedback as possible, do some tests in-game (this is especially important, please tell me you have some Staff that actually test things with the general population?), and adjust accordingly. When all of what is deemed absolutely overpowered (and by this I mean an overwhelming community response akin to the Pyromancer outcry that's going on right now) is addressed, I feel that it would be the ideal time to then work on what's underpowered. Start small, work your way up, so you don't accidentally overdo it and make another overpowered class.

I don't know, I feel like I'm being very out of line here. I am not your boss, and I'm not trying to force my opinion down your throat, I'm just a player showing his concerns in the best way he can. I'm concerned that if you address multiple things in one big batch, you risk fixing some things but hurting others and putting the process in an endless loop where something is always blatantly overpowered and something is always obviously underpowered and gimp.

However if you fix things one at a time, not only would these patches come through a lot quicker (and believe me when I say that us players love to see fast results), it'd be more eased in and would make it much easier to see the big picture of things.

I don't know, just my two cents. You probably won't consider this because I'm basically asking you to change the way you are developing and this is easily crossing the line, for that I apologize, but at the very least consider the suggestion.

Thanks.

Telaran

Wait what?

Agreed. Balance, in my best analogy is this: when you go to take a shower you turn both hot and cold knobs to what you think will be comfortable. Adjust the cold a little, then adjust the hot until you find your equilibrium.

The equilibrium for this game is like blasting the hot knob, standing in it for 5 minutes under the scalding hot water, thinking, "no, I don't like this..." then virtually shutting it off while blasting the cold knob, and standing in it for 5 minutes.

Adjustments need to be smaller and more frequent to iron out that perfect temperature.
    It's dangerous to try and reason with delusional people.

<Thorgorad> <Draconian Acolytes> Harrow

Plane Touched

In other words, its to everyones benefit not to sit back on broken issues than try to do a giant patch that will create more balancing issues.

If they did short hotfixs to adjust skills/damage and saw the results over the course of a week or so, they could much more accurately tune the balance of game.

Changing the game drastically every 2 months results in over heated discussion, theorycrafting to its limits, tons of whining on things that may or may not occur, etc.
    Famaji - 50 Rogue
    Famage - 40 Mage
    The reason you have 4 souls is to provide negative feedback on all 4 at once, rather than focusing an educated feedback on 1.

Ascendant

all at once is the way to go

or you will end up with situations like vanguard had where every revamped class becomes the flavor of the month OP class in pvp and the game bleeds subscriptions..
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Famaji View Post
    In other words, its to everyones benefit not to sit back on broken issues than try to do a giant patch that will create more balancing issues.

If they did short hotfixs to adjust skills/damage and saw the results over the course of a week or so, they could much more accurately tune the balance of game.

Changing the game drastically every 2 months results in over heated discussion, theorycrafting to its limits, tons of whining on things that may or may not occur, etc.
    Summarizing; yes. There's a few issues with the game right now that is raising some widespread concern. It's very serious, at least as far as the game goes. If some balance issues are really so severe that people are actually ragequitting the entire game because of the amount of frustration it all brings, then I personally feel that the dev's should get on the ball and start doing some adjusting.

But then I wonder why I made this thread. Does Trion REALLY give a **** about these threads? There's a little icon that shows up next to a thread that lets people know if a Trion staff member replied to the topic, and if you click on it, it takes you to their post(s).

Do you see this icon anywhere in the PVP & Warfronts and Suggestions sections? I sure as hell don't.

This concerns me a bit more, to be honest. Feels like I'm potentially talking to a brick wall. Awesome.

i like cookies.

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by LordOberon View Post
    all at once is the way to go

or you will end up with situations like vanguard had where every revamped class becomes the flavor of the month OP class in pvp and the game bleeds subscriptions..
    What would you call/describe 1.1 and our current 'situation'? It seems to be, that what you 'want' is what is how we got this situation in the first place.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Crysillion View Post
    I'm concerned with the way you will be addressing PVP balance issues. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you are going to make one large patch that addresses a multitude of skills at one time, changing X skill on Y class, A skill on B class, and etc.

However I feel that addressing one class at a time through quicker-released patches would be more efficient than releasing one large patch that "fixes" everything all at once that take a week or more to make happen.

My argument is thus; the longer you take to fix something, the more frustrated the players become. As well, if you don't fix something enough or over-do it, you will disappoint some of your playerbase and it's not going to help if it takes a week or two to perfect.

I feel that dividing your focus into all classes all at once is going to make the process more troublesome than trying to adjust classes in small batches.

Start with what's being looked at as overpowered, get as much feedback as possible, do some tests in-game (this is especially important, please tell me you have some Staff that actually test things with the general population?), and adjust accordingly. When all of what is deemed absolutely overpowered (and by this I mean an overwhelming community response akin to the Pyromancer outcry that's going on right now) is addressed, I feel that it would be the ideal time to then work on what's underpowered. Start small, work your way up, so you don't accidentally overdo it and make another overpowered class.

I don't know, I feel like I'm being very out of line here. I am not your boss, and I'm not trying to force my opinion down your throat, I'm just a player showing his concerns in the best way he can. I'm concerned that if you address multiple things in one big batch, you risk fixing some things but hurting others and putting the process in an endless loop where something is always blatantly overpowered and something is always obviously underpowered and gimp.

However if you fix things one at a time, not only would these patches come through a lot quicker (and believe me when I say that us players love to see fast results), it'd be more eased in and would make it much easier to see the big picture of things.

I don't know, just my two cents. You probably won't consider this because I'm basically asking you to change the way you are developing and this is easily crossing the line, for that I apologize, but at the very least consider the suggestion.

Thanks.
    Thank you for putting my thoughts about this in writing. This is excactly the concerns I have. Big patches with muliple changes just leads to another unbalance and as you said us players want to see fast results.

+ Reply to Thread