+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Delvopers don't lile Open World PVP because

Telaran

Default Delvopers don't lile Open World PVP because

I'm no mmo expert , but is the main reason why developers don't like world open would pvp is the lag it creates ? I've played Warhammer which had RVR and most of the time it was laggy .
    Lineage 2 and those castle sieges was just about playable but laggy as hell most of the time.

I remember playing wow back in the day pvp'ing in Southshore , i'm guessing but couldn't of been more than 100 people and it was yet again laggy and If I remember right the server crashed

/discuss

please no get a better computer reply's

get a better internet connection
    Don't mind me, I'm just being an idiot.

What you did there, I see it.

There's always ways to combat the lag. WAR wasn't so much laggy, as it was poorly optimized. WoW's servers were never intended to handle massive pvp on the grand scale we used to see with SS/TM and shortly after honor was added so were battlegrounds which contained the raid pvp.

I think if the developer's were to add rvr the content should scale with rifts/raid rifts as this is a form of realm vs environment already in game. Rifts are large scale battles going on in the game world every day.

PS. I'm not going to say get a better computer, but if your hardware can't handle rvr that's usually the way to fix it...
    Last edited by Octavian2011; 04-20-2011 at 01:02 PM.

GSB 5/5 RoS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 RotP 4/4 HK 10/11
    Pvp rank 8 Rogue - Age of Aggression.
    www.resultgaming.com

Soulwalker

Yeeeaaah SS and TM the good old days!!!
    But idk why, I certainly hope they are gonna pay some attention to it

Plane Touched

WAR had issues with crappy servers, particularly those outside NA that were handled to the lowest bidder.
    It was also poorly optimised, particularly the physics side of thing (collision detection etc)

Now, the Rift engine (GameBryo) is a (apparently) newer version of the same engine WAR used (Also used by Oblivion and Fallout 3), though I think it could still use some optimisations, especially in CPU/Memory usage.

It is entirely possible the devs wanted to wait for a while before implementing oPvP stuff, purely to ensure that the servers would be able to handle it, which I think they can ,(The only stutter I've seen has been caused by the client/my PC that I can tell) especially after seeing multiple raid groups clashing over Major Invasion bosses.

Plane Touched

Tarren Mill </3

*cries*

The biggest issue with most games, is the server handling displaying all of the users in one condensed area.

I'll take a totally different game for example: Eve Online.

During Peak Times ------> Entire Sectors have like 30,000 people floating around. That particular 'hub' of servers, gets so stressed, that it's practically unplayable. That's Eve, where they have one server and close to 200,000 players, I think it was 170k last night.

Anyway, look at games like Final Fantasy XIV, where they only drew something stupid like 30 people on the screen including npc's at any given time.

Games like WoW where it draws everyone, but as soon as you hit like 100 people it starts to kill framerates.

Games like Rift where if there's 5 invasion forces attacking a town, you can only see 3-4 of them at a time if there are too many people defending it at the same time. Something close to a 50 mob limit from some of the best guesses.

It is to help server load on massive amounts of people in one zone.

The other alternative is an instanced zone where it's no longer in the 'real world' but on a separate server farm dedicated to that purpose. This becomes a warfront like port of scion 24/7 zone, where you don't queue, but simply enter it.

The major issue with WAR was the lack of optimization for the GPU to CPU and such. As was stated before. I think they finally fixed a lot of the problems, but by that time, it was just too far gone, and most had left to their other devices.

You couldn't go into an RvR zone with 3 raids of 40 to go conquer a zone. It was just unplayable. Reaction Time Lag, Spell lag, effects causing crashes and DC's. The particle effects would be tossed over to the CPU to handle the load cause they couldn't figure out how to do it more efficiently on the GPU. Things like that.

I honestly think, that Open World PvP is hard. Not many games have gotten it right. And when they did, it's either 1) not enough players in the game and it ran smoothly or 2) it was so boring, not many did it, so it ran smoothly.

Plane Walker

Unfortunantly, the RIFT engine can't handle large scale encounters for ****, anything over 50 players really. Raid attempt on Sanctum earlier this evening, +100 Defiants. It was noticeable (only seeing stuff right next to you) already at the rally point. Same during Phase 2 world event.

They'd have to do some serious optimizing when they add RvR, since the scale of open world large scale PvP is always 50-100 or more for large engagements. I am actually a bit disappointed that the game doesn't have this capability already, then again, with no RvR or large scale PvP content at all, how could the game be optimized for it. Still, you'd think Phase 2 testing would have given them some indication that their game can't support large events.

the reason why devs dont like world PvP is because of side unbalance. nothing sinks a game faster than RvR when one side has 70% population and the other has 30%

the majority of people on the underdog side will get pwned constantly due to figthing against overwhelming odds, say "screw this unbalanced game" and quit

the majority of people on the overpopulated side will get bored of twidling their thumbs because no enemy shows, say "screw this unbalanced game" and quit

properly balanced world pvp needs extra development,resources to keep things fair and balanced. e.x multiple (more than 2) faction systems, population checks, artificial caps,....

from a business point of view the best course of action is simply...not having it. there, fast easy and cheap.

+ Reply to Thread