+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP Suggestion: Castle Siegeing

Soulwalker

Post PvP Suggestion: Castle Siegeing

Hello! Sometimes I feel there is something missing, the warfronts are great, but I still want more PvP experience then I thought of Warhammer Online:Age of Reckoning's Castle Siegeing, where the opposing sides ( whenever they want ) May attack castle who is currently owned by the opposite team (Guardian/Defiant). Then they would have to deploy siegeweapons to brake through etc, and so on. The Defending Team, (All Guardians/Defiants ) In that zone should get a msg, example "Fort Highrail is under attack" So that they could come and defend. Then if you succed taking a castle, the guild who did most use in the battle should get the keep and get diffrent bonuses from it till they lose it, also everyone should receive a rewardd for taking it. The reward system might be a little like after you complete a dungeon quest, but with less good rewards or something similair. If the defenders win they should also get some kind of reward,it might be hard to say when they win or if the battle is still going on, but let's say about 20-30 minutes a siegebattle last, so from the start of the attack a clock begins to tick, if the opposing team haven't captured the city when it reaches 0. Defenders win and the castle gets repaired ( Walls, Gates ) And the gates remain invulnerable and immune to more attacks for another hour or so, to prevent the same keep being attacked over and over. This is just a suggestion though, and much of this comes from Warhammer and other games aswell, but all games do copy ideas, or get inspiration and there is no shame in it, so why don't make Rift even better than it already is ;) PS: Rift is my favourite game, I just want to make some suggestions how to make it even better. I hope this gets you guys to think wheter it's a good idea or not, mabye you already have thought about it ;) Anyways, See ya in Telara

Lineage 2 castle siege system was epic in every way.
    Rules could be changed now, but this is what I remember:

- Castles were open to be sieged at certain times only. Usually the weekend. 1 window of chance per castle.
    - During the week the castle owners relaxed and reaped the rewards of owning it. (special crafting items, tax money from the local city vendor sales, etc..)
    - People really wanted to take them, and people really wanted to defend them. Lots at stake, not like other games where no one cares if someone takes a fort, they can just zerg it back when everyone is offline.
    - Here's the big one imo: You had to sign up for them. i.e, your guild leader had to physically go to the castle, and sign up during the week before to help defend, or to attack. If your guild din't sign up, you don't get to spawn there upon death and it ports you across the world. This allowed you to see just how many people you were up against, and what you would need to defend it.
    - This brought a lot of social politics into the game, because a castle owning guild would usually need help defending it, so they could offer other guilds some benefits, gold, items, etc..

I think having them only once a week makes them special, like events. I remember waking up at a crazy time because of timezone to do these, because they were so damn fun. Leading up to the start time you were nervous, there was trash talk in the field, guild leaders scrambled to get people organized and their spawn points strategically placed. Then 2 hours of chaos, the castle could change hands mid fight, and then get changed back again. To take the castle, your guild leader had to be inside the throne room, and inscribe his name on it while a hundred people pounded on him, and his healers were going insane. No stupid npc boss that gets zerged in 20 seconds.

Epic, so epic.

Soulwalker

This is always a sketchy idea that is usually championed by pve'rs in pvp clothing.

While it does sound epic in theory, in practiced its often botched badly just look at all wow's attempts......they are just awful WSG and AB are still the favorite BG's by far in that game.

No real pvpers want to spend their time pounding on castle walls and driving siege engines around and gettting 2 shot by said siege engines etc. They want to fight their class vs. other peoples class in balanced scenarios. And for gawd sake no pve zerging npc bosses down please or any other npc's for that matter.

Now if you can add all the epic ambiance of a castle siege without the tedium and imbalance that it usually brings then fine so long as I'm still whacking other players with my sword or spells/abilities most of the time then you may have something.

Biggest problem though is that zergs inflate the imbalances in this game more than any other game I have played. Healers and specs like pyro become exponentially more powerful in zergs with the current game balance mechanics. And castle sieges would be the epitome of zerg warfare most likely.

How bout prison break?..Prison in Shimmersand...two teams..have to fight off mobs and obtain siege weapons to break the gate down in order to escape?..or objectives along the walls that leads to the wardens office..yea..defeat the warden boss who is crazy hard..yea!
    FortyFive sigbanners ~Harrow~

I think the entire PVP community want the DAoC castle sieges and epic battles. In DAoC, I got my gear, but I logged on everynight to siege, not for gear, but for fun, PURE FUN. I did this for 4+ years on my Firbolg hero and Lurikeen Enchanter.

Read what I just wrote Trion, I PAYED for 4 years to do the same thing over and over. EASY MONEY. Give me the content.

Soulwalker

Default I hope we will get some Castle Siegeing in the future, PvP ofc.

I do hope we get some Castle Siegeing in the future, PvP ofc. It would be so awesome ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesper the rifting king View Post
    I do hope we get some Castle Siegeing in the future, PvP ofc. It would be so awesome ;)
    They need to implement a system exactly like Aion's. Oh how I miss the good days.

Rift Disciple

lineage 2 and aion both had awesome siege systems.

Lineage 2 probably a little too hardcore for rift considering the time window you could only siege in etc, not very casual friendly.

bring something like this plz! battlegrounds will only last for so long before people get utterly bored like in WoW!

also dont do it like WAR! give me some reason for my "GUILD" to own a castle, not my realm. make people work for it not just spunge off the pvp guilds to access special NPC's etc.
    Devotion/Octobeast - Aion - Uprising
    Orion - WAR - DDH
    Devotion/Octobeast - AOC - DDH
    Devotion/Octobeast - Lineage2 - RK/Uprising
    Orion - DAOC - Nolby Pride
    Orion/Smoke - UO - 6i6/-7-

+ Reply to Thread