+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favor Discrepancy

Rift Disciple

Default Favor Discrepancy

First off, let me add some foreword to this post.

* The class I was playing during this WF was a Warrior
    * WF was The Black Garden, 20-29 bracket (though the information may still apply for 50s!)
    * I play the class at Agressive Short/Medium range.
    * This is a common occurrence.

Name:  Lr88E.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  93.1 KB

Top Objectives, most Time completing objective, top carrier kills, top killing blows, top kills, top deaths (lol), 2nd damage done...

3rd favor. ಠ_ಠ

I know some of the information is missing due to not getting all the screenshots saved, but I can say that the results have not been tampered with.

Now I'm not going to complain about a measly 40something favor, but the idea is still valid. "Why would a player who is completing the objective of the WF and contributing the most in a team effort, receive less favor?" I understand healers have also been complaining about the favor discrepancy, and there have been numerous posts saying that it's based on proximity to the kill, and most healers at mid-max range are simply out of reach... but this is completely not applicable in my case.

Please note the player who received top favor of this WF was on my team, has less damage, less kills, no healing, no objectives no killing blows and 1/4th the damage that I had done... this guy was just standing in the middle of crossfire, sucking up everyone's air.

Is this how powerful the guild perk is, or am I going crazy? Can you actually sit in a WF doing next to nothing and come out the winner, as long as you have the guild talent? Someone please explain this.

Rift Disciple

Hi, post without crying and screenshot proof here.

Or is everyone else confused as well?

In either case. BUMPING THIS THREAD.

I can't think of anyone dumb enough to dispute your feelings for the current situation on how prestige and favor is handed out in war-fronts but for me I still do the objectives needed like a lot of others out there because we know there's a lot to gain from a win vs the alternative, but it would be nice indeed, I would be a super duper happy camper if I had gotten extra attention in favor for doing the 14 shard runs in port.
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm, We ran to the sounds of the thunder, We danced among the lightning bolts, and tore the world asunder.

General of Telara

Could it be related to level? E.g. Favor boosts for lower levels in the bracket?

I heard somewhere that favor was directly related to distance from the "action"..True story...I placed my warr BF on follow and got tons more favor cause I was near the action.

Id say that people getting favor and kills with no damage done and no heals done are bots following other players..perhaps?..mebbe..don't know.
    FortyFive sigbanners ~Harrow~

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ticklepink View Post
    I heard somewhere that favor was directly related to distance from the "action"..True story...I placed my warr BF on follow and got tons more favor cause I was near the action.

Id say that people getting favor and kills with no damage done and no heals done are bots following other players..perhaps?..mebbe..don't know.
    It's almost certainly not related to distance (at least in full). I'm almost positive at this point that it is related to the number of kills AND the amount of damage done and nothing else. In sub 50 BGs, favor is also related to level. I noticed I received more favor at lower levels than I did as I approached the level cap.

I play 2 souls in PvP: Marksman and Bard. Believe it or not, the Bard soul is always closer to every fight yet the Marksman soul always nets more prestige / favor. I'm pretty sure this is due to the fact that the marksman does more damage to more people (AE damage in large fights - better single target damage) which earns more credit toward the max favor / prestige awarded for each kill. I'm not sure how much damage you need to do to be awarded full credit. I'm also not sure if more than one group can be awarded full credit for a kill or if they rank the damage done by the group, awarding the group doing the most damage full credit and then partial credit to subsequent damaging groups.

If there is a distance factor, it is almost certainly related to being in range to receive credit for the kill and not related to how close you are to the thing you are killing. I know this because I've had 20/15s floating by running stones from the church in Scion, but I'm pretty sure that once I hit the commander I'm out of range for kill credit at the bridge.

This explains why stone runners and fang carriers receive less favor. Depending on where the fight is happening, you wind up out of range for kill credit either by dying to the fang in BG and sitting on the spawn point (for sometimes 20 seconds), running stones in Scion, taking the vault when everyone else is at the codex, or sitting at your spawn in whitefall with the stone while the rest of the team goes to get yours.

This also explains why healers receive less favor than dps classes since healing doesn't seem to count toward the kill credit. In fact, it's a double edged sword since most healing abilities heal the entire RAID, thus keeping alive the people doing the majority of the damage who are not even in your group. That healing goes unrewarded since favor and prestige seems to be rewarded on a "group" basis, even though that group more than likely could not have gotten the kills they did without your help. It even goes a step further in that healing classes are among the first things targeted to be killed and wind out out of kill range longer than the dps classes.

So based on this, I think the following change need to be made:

1) Healing needs to be counted toward awarding favor. If group x did 80% of the damage to a player but received SIGNIFICANT healing from group y, group y should be awarded equal favor for the kill
    2) I don't think the range penalty should be removed if it exists, but it should be lessened. You should at least receive partial credit for kills by your group that you are out of range for. Perhaps a 10% penalty for being out of range.
    3) I think there should be a individual rewards for completing warfront objectives. Some ideas:

Note: Rewards are in addition to normal favor earned from kills

- Port Scion: Put a 2 minute timer on carrying a stone (if you haven't turned it in to the commander after 2 minutes, you lose it and it respawns - this prevents stone hoarding / camping which is another current problem with scion). Dropped stones instantly respawn (similar to whitefall). Players carrying a stone receive a 10% bonus to prestige and favor.
    - Port Scion: Get rid of the buff stacks for running stones. There! I said it =)
    - Port Scion: 40/30 awarded to the individual for turning in a stone.
    - Port Scion: 20/15 awarded for picking up a stone.
    - Port Scion: an additional 20/15 awarded to the individual who gets the killing blow against a stone carrier
    - Whitefall: 20/15 awarded to the individual who picks up a stone.
    - Whitefall: 60/45 awarded to the individual who places the stone, scoring a point.
    - Whitefall: 60/45 awarded to the individual who recovers a stone
    - Whitefall: an additional 20/15 awarded to the individual who kills a stone carrier
    - Codex: 20/15 awarded for to the individual who starts the flag timer.
    - Codex: 40/30 awarded to players from the capturing side within 30 meters of a flag when it is captured
    - Codex: 40/30 awarded to players from the defending side within 30 meters of a flag when it is re-captured
    - Black Garden: 25% bonus to favor / prestige while carrying the fang (it does kill you afterall).
    - Black Garden: 40/30 awarded to the individual who receives a killing blow on a fang carrier (doesn't count if the fang kills the player)

Shield of Telara

Top deaths unfortunately says it all - you can do the most in any given warfront, but if you die, you'll still get less favour than the most afk noob if he's on autofollow on someone near kills. Also, as the last poster said - It's in some way linked to damage, no idea how, but damage dealers get far more than healers.
    Last edited by Joyous; 04-20-2011 at 05:40 AM.
    Ugar - Spitescar - PvP

I like your sig :3

As stated above me, the times you were dead, you lost contribution time. Everyone gets equal favor as those around them when a player dies. But if you are dead, you are not going to get any favor. Die less.

Shadowlander

I am 100% convinced that player "LEVEL" matters to a large degree in favor calculation. A level 21 that does as much work as a level 29 will get a LOT more favor.

In my case I noticed this with a friend. I was 49 and he was 42. I beat him in every category. 0 Deaths for both of us. He got 350 more favor than I.

Being 50 now, I noticed that it has leveled out to a large degree (as in the variances between top and bottom are much smaller and those doing more get more).
    Last edited by Nostrademous; 04-20-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Hmmmm, so if I just hang back a little bit and not die, I'll get more favor? Sweet.
    Don't mind me, I'm just being an idiot.

What you did there, I see it.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Tugrath View Post
    Hmmmm, so if I just hang back a little bit and not die, I'll get more favor? Sweet.
    Provided that you or the others in your group does a significant amount of AE damage and actually kills stuff, yes.

Level does indeed seem to matter... I went, at level 39, from being consistently one of the bottom 3 on the favor list to the top 3 on the favor list at level 40. I play a Bard and I play my character in exactly the same way at level 40 as I did at level 39, primarily support. At first I thought by some miracle I was getting rewarded for being one of the top healers, only to realize that the lower your level, the better your favor. I'm not sure exactly how it works but it almost seems like you get a favor handicap below a certain level.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-towards-favor
    Last edited by schu; 04-20-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Baby Tartagon

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by schu View Post
    Level does indeed seem to matter... I went, at level 39, from being consistently one of the bottom 3 on the favor list to the top 3 on the favor list at level 40. I play a Bard and I play my character in exactly the same way at level 40 as I did at level 39, primarily support. At first I thought by some miracle I was getting rewarded for being one of the top healers, only to realize that the lower your level, the better your favor. I'm not sure exactly how it works but it almost seems like you get a favor handicap below a certain level.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-towards-favor
    It has to do with the level discrepancy between you and the players you are killing. A level 40 player getting kill credit for killing a 49 player earns more favor than a level 39 earning credit for killing players level 30-39. There is no favor handicap. It's the same system in place for killing mobs that are higher level than you. You earn an experience bonus.

I'd be curious to find out if healing actually does count for anything. A simple test would be to join a Black Garden as a pure heal spec cleric, ask to be put in your own group, and then do nothing but heal the whole time (0 dps). See if you get any favor other than the favor earned from either winning or losing the match. I don't have a cleric soul so perhaps someone else would be willing to run this test.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Albane View Post
    As stated above me, the times you were dead, you lost contribution time. Everyone gets equal favor as those around them when a player dies. But if you are dead, you are not going to get any favor. Die less.
    Doesn't make much sense, considering that in Black Garden, if you're doing the objective, you're going to die unless the timer runs out. The fang is a death sentence.

4 fang carries, 4 deaths. the most in the bg of my team.

I'd like to say that it was avoidable but.... yeah...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast