+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why does spell power give twice as much benefit as attack power?

Champion

Default Why does spell power give twice as much benefit as attack power?

Really don't understand this one, spell power gives double the dps per point than attack power. As a result, with people getting better gear, casters are pulling ahead of physical dps, and the red power-up is just over the top for them.

Lately I feel like the sole purpose of my p5 champ is to give ranged classes something to aim at.

Prophet of Telara

It's because Trion hates melee...I think we need to nerf something

Champion of Telara

its not only about melee.
    This must be Gersh.
    Stop trolling.
    Die. Just die.

Shadowlander

Not to mention that physical attacks are way more mitigated than magical.

REMOVE 100% powerups from WFs...
    Adapt or Die

Soulwalker

Perhaps because increases in spell power affect casters in different ways than changes to attack power. Different mechanic is different.

Rift Chaser

attack power should give the same or more then magic power, aftar all the warrior needs to get close before he gets 2 shotted by a mage... bad game design is bad.

What I've noticed is that weapons with caster stats (Wis, Int, SP) also have lower weapon damage.

Telaran

simply because normal attack damage is enhanced by the dps gain as well. that does not apply to mages....

you guys complain way to muhc...

warrs **** rogues
    mages **** warriors
    rogues **** mages
    - clercis dont get *****.

thats basically the pvp balance in here its fine apart from one thing some souls just step out of line of that concept and reach "i win vs all" status...

like some weir dtemplar build which is unscratchable yet kills you in 5 seconds in a 1 vs 1 scale...
    Last edited by KingLeonidas; 04-19-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by KingLeonidas View Post
    simply because normal attack damage is enhanced by the dps gain as well. that does not apply to mages....

you guys complain way to muhc...

warrs **** rogues
    mages **** warriors
    rogues **** mages
    - clercis dont get *****.

thats basically the pvp balance in here its fine apart from one thing some souls just step out of line of that concept and reach "i win vs all" status...

like some weir dtemplar build which is unscratchable yet kills you in 5 seconds in a 1 vs 1 scale...
    I'm not sure I catch the meaning of your post, but you do realize that clerics are at *worst* fine right?

Anyway, SP scales much better than AP because magic attacks do not include weapon DPS. That doesnt make it good/right/balanced well, but that is the reason.
    Last edited by Iscariott; 04-19-2011 at 10:12 PM.

aux

Because physical damage classes scale with weapon damage, and magic classes don't.
    I'm so BORED

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Iscariott View Post
    I'm not sure I catch the meaning of your post, but you do realize that clerics are at *worst* fine right?

Anyway, SP scales much better than AP because magic attacks do not include weapon DPS. That doesnt make it good/right/balanced well, but that is the reason.
    lol! serious case of l2read?

you criticize me and then you repead exactly what i wrote? o.O

Rift Chaser

Considering most caster 2 hands have more spell power then melee has total ap it does seem a bit off. Even if you take into the consideration the higher weapon damage for melee in addition to ap the increase to dps is far less significant then it is for casters.

Case in point, for expert dungeons (using a pve example cause its easier to control variables) i run my warrior with warlord as part of my tanking spec. The 32 point ability from the tree gives you the ability to buff spell power and ap by 15% for 20 seconds. Guess which class saw the biggest boost in dps, unanimously across the board every time i used this thing? (And the melee and caster for this were equally geared: full tier 2).

Also as mentioned before melee has to deal with armor+valor, which is far more detrimental to damage numbers then resists+valor is for casters. A 2h warrior is gonna be somewhere between high 30s and low 40's for melee damage reduction, and into 50's/60% range with a shield. Rogues fall into about 30 percent, clerics 40, i have no idea about mages. On the flips side (using warrior as best example as they have magic tanking), a warrior can get to into the 30's in magic reduction (20% absorbed from vk, 9% from pally, 10% base reduction in damage from reaver). And for them to do that their ability to kill anyone in a warzone would be pretty difficult in terms of damage.

Plane Touched

Heres a simple fix, make the stupid orb give 30% more dmg done overall case closed
    Famaji - 50 Rogue
    Famage - 40 Mage
    The reason you have 4 souls is to provide negative feedback on all 4 at once, rather than focusing an educated feedback on 1.

Quote Originally Posted by aux View Post
    Because physical damage classes scale with weapon damage, and magic classes don't.
    physical damage is affected by armor which also scales with level/gear, magic is not
    Last edited by Rottweiler-STi; 04-20-2011 at 10:06 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast