+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dear Dev: Improving communication is key in matches

Default Dear Dev: Improving communication is key in matches

Dear Developers of Rift and Players as well,

I know PvP is just a portion of the content you guys provide and I know PvP very well as I run and lead a leading PvP focused Guild in Neddra and also many previous MMO throughout my MMO gaming history. A game that comes to my mind that does excel in the communication aspect in matches although it might not be as something of popular is Global Agenda. The way 'Global Agenda' works is it has a fast-pace twitch-FPS fast action RPG matches and I have to say yes it may not be the best MMO out there but hands down the ability it provides to be able to communicate through VOIP which they licensed through a 3rd party provider and implemented in their game is truly astonishing.

I have lead battles and won plenty of games just because I was able to communicate quickly and efficiently through VOIP (which only gets enabled during the match) much better than texting in chat. This indeed works great if your involved in PUG's where a shared outside the game VOIP such as ventrilo will not be used. I understand that there's a cost to licensing a VOIP implementation to your game but I can assure you that this will build competitiveness. I hope such task is at-least being talked about and discussed for future implementation again the cons to this can be dealt with through muting abilities within the game and assigning a push to talk key within the settings is also part of it. In addition perhaps have the system check your ignore list and also automatically places people on mute if they are already in your ignore list.

Thank you for the consideration and I do believe that the time effort and the reward from this implementation will far outweigh the costs.

Champion of Telara

The first thing any sane person will do is goto Voice > VOIP > Disable and it will never be used. Case in point: WoW in-built voice chat.
    Dancer/Yeah of Briarcliff

Quote Originally Posted by faction View Post
    The first thing any sane person will do is goto Voice > VOIP > Disable and it will never be used. Case in point: WoW in-built voice chat.
    Your not providing valid points of discussion again if implemented right where default it's always on if you have a mic again you can allow it to turn off but when it's implemented it should be default on and it allows people to communicate better. I don't see why we should rely on communicating in ways that how we used to back in the 1990's-2000's slowly but surely as I'm sure others agree voice-comms is replace chat...at-least when competitive matches are played.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Davador View Post
    ...I was able to communicate quickly and efficiently...
    Teamwork wins matches, and in a PUG environment communication is the means that allow efficient teamwork. Premades win because of it.

Now as far a solutions I'm not crazy about the VOIP idea, the last thing I want after a workday is to get into a warfront and have to deal not only with the occasional inmature behaviour showcased in chat but also in Voip. If I wanted to deal with kids, I have my own, thanks. Voip is great in guilds, having it in pugs, might create more drama imo.

I prefer another solution however. Being able to implement node warning system, similar to what the Carbonite addon was doing in WoW Batttlegrounds.

You would basically select a node in the map, and a scrolldown list would appear with options like: Defend, Incoming, Attack, Well Defended, losing...etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ooC_-uLOY8
    Last edited by ZeeWire; 04-19-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davador View Post
    Dear Developers of Rift and Players as well,

I know PvP is just a portion of the content you guys provide and I know PvP very well as I run and lead a leading PvP focused Guild in Neddra and also many previous MMO throughout my MMO gaming history. A game that comes to my mind that does excel in the communication aspect in matches although it might not be as something of popular is Global Agenda. The way 'Global Agenda' works is it has a fast-pace twitch-FPS fast action RPG matches and I have to say yes it may not be the best MMO out there but hands down the ability it provides to be able to communicate through VOIP which they licensed through a 3rd party provider and implemented in their game is truly astonishing.

I have lead battles and won plenty of games just because I was able to communicate quickly and efficiently through VOIP (which only gets enabled during the match) much better than texting in chat. This indeed works great if your involved in PUG's where a shared outside the game VOIP such as ventrilo will not be used. I understand that there's a cost to licensing a VOIP implementation to your game but I can assure you that this will build competitiveness. I hope such task is at-least being talked about and discussed for future implementation again the cons to this can be dealt with through muting abilities within the game and assigning a push to talk key within the settings is also part of it. In addition perhaps have the system check your ignore list and also automatically places people on mute if they are already in your ignore list.

Thank you for the consideration and I do believe that the time effort and the reward from this implementation will far outweigh the costs.
    This is a very good point and something that Trion should work to establish. However, before they do this they need to establish some sort of reliable favour distribution system.

Anyone that has PvPed in Warfronts for any length of time and pays attention to the table at the end of a match can see that players are granted more favour for devolving into a Quake III Arena deathmatch than actually attempting to accomplish the objective-driven PvP that Warfronts are supposed to be. Healers are especially left out in the cold in terms of favour, something that they also experience in terms of rift/invasion contribution. As it stands now Warfront PvP is simply not meaningful and, while I don't think it's broken, it certainly is far from working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by faction View Post
    WoW's VOIP never, ever worked reliably for the majority of players. That said, by default it is likely to be set to Off and not On. Trion isn't Blizzard or Valve.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    This is a very good point and something that Trion should work to establish. However, before they do this they need to establish some sort of reliable favour distribution system.

Anyone that has PvPed in Warfronts for any length of time and pays attention to the table at the end of a match can see that players are granted more favour for devolving into a Quake III Arena deathmatch than actually attempting to accomplish the objective-driven PvP that Warfronts are supposed to be. Healers are especially left out in the cold in terms of favour, something that they also experience in terms of rift/invasion contribution. As it stands now Warfront PvP is simply not meaningful and, while I don't think it's broken, it certainly is far from working as intended.
    Right, I agree with you on the Favor distribution but I believe that's more algorithm adjustment as I'm not sure what is being the contribution factor on the favor. In any case that's a separate topic perhaps worth writing a separate suggestion. Although I recommend on getting feedback first from the developers knowing what the current contribution factor is before compiling an accurate suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    WoW's VOIP never, ever worked reliably for the majority of players. That said, by default it is likely to be set to Off and not On. Trion isn't Blizzard or Valve.
    Again a good debatable point would make more sense on your stance.

+ Reply to Thread