+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 111

Thread: mages are so overpowered not because of GOS

  1. #61
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Mages trying to defend pyro's is just comletely irrational.

    I play a mage, straun - just about to hit rank 4, will breeze to 6. I played pyro pvp leveling up and very briefly at 50, then changed to the spec that I've fallen in love with for my own playstyle which is SC/Warlock.

    But to sit here and talk such nonsense about mages being squishy is just utterly ridiculous. I find warriors even in my SC spec to be infinitely squishier than even I am as a stormcaller. And I am f'ing squishy. Pyros have all the mitigation I have, plus 30%...so your argument is not only illogical it's just silly.

    The only mitigation an SC has is just not getting hit, period.

    The PROBLEM with pyros is a combination of things....A: no one should EVER 1 shot anyone, for any reason, i don't care how many trinkets buffs, situation bonuses you have. Doing 6k damage in a shot is not balanced and it's frankly silly and ruins pvp.

    I agree that ground really isn't the point. that's not _the_ reason. You could take ground away and you still have the 'problem'...but combine it all and you have an unmitigated disaster.

    The mage with the most "wtfinstantpwnage" can't ALSO be the mage with the MOST damage mitigation AND the most CC immunity. That's not logical or rational on any balance perspective. The soul that can literally 1 shot, should be the MOST fragile, not the least fragile. THAT is the entirety of the balance issue. They have to do signifiantly less burst, OR, you have to remove either the mitigation or the cc immunity.

    it's a good start to remove the dominator/pyro bombing for 6k combo BUT you still are going to have a major problem with that soul.

    every 2 minutes they can machien gun anythign down, you still can't silence them fear them or anything.

    So a pyro versus any toehr caster is still a free-win-button. when you can pop 2k damage per fireball, and your fireballs can stun, or you can just cast a 5 second stun...that target is just dead...that'st he point.

    get rid of the f'ing stun/cc fest in this game please

  2. #62
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    Spell Power also seems to help increase their damage significantly, whereas Attack Power is much lower. And to top it off they can easily stack a lot more Spell Power. Combined with no mitigation to magic damage and its a heck of a lot of fun being a nuker.

  3. #63
    Rift Disciple White Dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Epoxin View Post
    Sorry OP but you are wrong .. Mages are not OP because of what you have said.

    Mages wear cloth ... lowest armour in the game, their health pools are also no where near the other callings .. makes a mage generally squishy yes .. now you want to see more resists vs spells , make a serious comment please , If you are tired of getting owned by a mage get in his face and start smasihing him, I could swear and you and call you names but I wont feed you anymore .

    Seems you are a Troll sir, please return to your nice cosy bridge.
    might as well have closed the thread after this one

  4. #64
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straun View Post
    Mages trying to defend pyro's is just comletely irrational.

    I play a mage, straun - just about to hit rank 4, will breeze to 6. I played pyro pvp leveling up and very briefly at 50, then changed to the spec that I've fallen in love with for my own playstyle which is SC/Warlock.

    But to sit here and talk such nonsense about mages being squishy is just utterly ridiculous. I find warriors even in my SC spec to be infinitely squishier than even I am as a stormcaller. And I am f'ing squishy. Pyros have all the mitigation I have, plus 30%...so your argument is not only illogical it's just silly.

    The only mitigation an SC has is just not getting hit, period.

    The PROBLEM with pyros is a combination of things....A: no one should EVER 1 shot anyone, for any reason, i don't care how many trinkets buffs, situation bonuses you have. Doing 6k damage in a shot is not balanced and it's frankly silly and ruins pvp.

    I agree that ground really isn't the point. that's not _the_ reason. You could take ground away and you still have the 'problem'...but combine it all and you have an unmitigated disaster.

    The mage with the most "wtfinstantpwnage" can't ALSO be the mage with the MOST damage mitigation AND the most CC immunity. That's not logical or rational on any balance perspective. The soul that can literally 1 shot, should be the MOST fragile, not the least fragile. THAT is the entirety of the balance issue. They have to do signifiantly less burst, OR, you have to remove either the mitigation or the cc immunity.

    it's a good start to remove the dominator/pyro bombing for 6k combo BUT you still are going to have a major problem with that soul.

    every 2 minutes they can machien gun anythign down, you still can't silence them fear them or anything.

    So a pyro versus any toehr caster is still a free-win-button. when you can pop 2k damage per fireball, and your fireballs can stun, or you can just cast a 5 second stun...that target is just dead...that'st he point.

    get rid of the f'ing stun/cc fest in this game please
    this is about the best logic i have seen. why does the mage that can 1-2 shot people also have the strongest damage reduction and anti cc? i don't mind that they're hard to kill but just don't give them the ability to 2 shot me. just makes absolutely no sense

  5. #65
    Ascendant Ticklepink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ferrum, Virginia,USA
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    their one and two shotting you does not come from base damage.. now that base damage for pyros is being looked at though..you'll have the few who can one shot people..brought in line..you'll have the majority of pyros gutted.

    grats.
    FortyFive sigbanners ~Harrow~

  6. #66
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Supra99 View Post
    ok maybe GOS is overpowered but its also because there is no protection against spells. For example tanks like paladins, riftstalkers, justicars, etc can mitigate about 50% physical damage due to armor and buffs. When it comes to spells their 50 earth resist mitigates like 5% damage? that is a huge discrepancy. that means melee dps is doing about half damage while caster dps are doing 95% of their damage.

    The numbers are just estimates, i'm sure geared players can pull off even higher physical and magical resists, but there is a huge gap between the two kinds of mitigation: spells and physical damage
    You just don't know how to play, end of story. Mages, apart from pyros, are EXTREMELY weak. Can be two shot by wars and clerics alike, and stunned to death by rogues. The only saving grace of pyros is GOS. They only way a mage can survive a 1v1 with a war is GOS. The only way a mage can survive a f-ing warden cleric is GOS. As for your claim that there isn't anything that mitigates spell damage, recheck your trees, you might just be surprised.

  7. #67
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straun View Post
    Mages trying to defend pyro's is just comletely irrational.

    I play a mage, straun - just about to hit rank 4, will breeze to 6. I played pyro pvp leveling up and very briefly at 50, then changed to the spec that I've fallen in love with for my own playstyle which is SC/Warlock.

    get rid of the f'ing stun/cc fest in this game please
    Finally a mage I don't despise.

  8. #68
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mthree5150 View Post
    You just don't know how to play, end of story. Mages, apart from pyros, are EXTREMELY weak. Can be two shot by wars and clerics alike, and stunned to death by rogues. The only saving grace of pyros is GOS. They only way a mage can survive a 1v1 with a war is GOS. The only way a mage can survive a f-ing warden cleric is GOS. As for your claim that there isn't anything that mitigates spell damage, recheck your trees, you might just be surprised.
    show me a dps tree from another calling that has the mitigation and anti cc and extreme dps of the pyromancer.

    show me a viable pvp build with enough magic mitigation and dps to take out a pyromancer 1v1 (since you brought up 1v1) i know paladin, voidknights, and reavers have some magic mitigation but they're not even going to kill an archon, least of all pyromancers.
    Last edited by Supra99; 04-19-2011 at 11:50 PM.

  9. #69
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes View Post
    I'm OP! As a mage, I have HUGE amounts of physical damage mitiga....oh wait, no, I don't. FAIL on trying to post about the same thing that has been posted about HUNDREDS OF TIMES ALREADY. Oh and before you say "you mad" or any other idiotic perversion of that saying, I'm actually sad. For you, because obviously your desire to cry about this makes you pathetic.
    10 points in elementalist will get you 10% mitigation to both physical and magical damage.

    That puts you on par with rogues in terms of armor mitigation for physical damage and of course 10% better against magic damage.

    13 points in archon gets you a shield you can cast every 30 seconds which directly mitigates both types of damage. You also get an ability that debuffs enemies 10% damage and buffs your own damage.

    Pyro gets 30% reduction from GOS but also gets a 15% health shield with a 30% chance to pop every time they get hit. How could we forget burning shield? Instantly gives the pyro another shield consuming their ground but lets them instantly recast it.

    You'll still get the archon shield but with slightly less hp mitigation if you go 44 pyro / 10 elementalist / 12 archon and as a plus get 5% bonus magic crit, 5% bonus fire damage and a few extra CC's and hp buffs.

    All up 40% straight mitigation of all damage plus cloth armor mitigation plus a whole bunch of shields plus debuffs on enemies damage.

    -------------------

    Chloromancer get heals (which anyone who pvp's knows is the best form of mitigation) and has shields too.

    Archmage will get you 15% crit reduction and 15% physical damage mitigation for just 10 points as well as detaunt which reduces all incoming damage from a target by 50% while you kill their friend. So 44/10/10 Pyro/elementalist/archmage gives 55% physical damage mitigation plus cloth armor, debuffs and shields and gives 40% magic mitigation which is twice as much as a Voidknight can get.

    Did we even cover the fact that over 50% of the souls in this game do magical damage and many of the ones that do physical also do some elemental damage?

    Wow lifes tough with the complete lack of mitigation for mages.
    Last edited by Xandarth; 04-20-2011 at 12:03 AM.

  10. #70
    Ascendant Ticklepink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ferrum, Virginia,USA
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    and..all those shields in the archmage tree are improved at higher ranks..rune shield..don't forget that(also an improved one)..and mana shield(does damage to mana not you) plus ethereal shield(improved steel weave) plus immovable object(cc immunity shield).

    Just let me get to rank 6..please god..rank 6!
    Last edited by Ticklepink; 04-20-2011 at 12:06 AM.
    FortyFive sigbanners ~Harrow~

  11. #71
    Ascendant Ticklepink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ferrum, Virginia,USA
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    and to add thats all without Pyro..I'm very interested in seeing combos that other mages pull out of their wizard hat with the defensive archmage tree soul.
    FortyFive sigbanners ~Harrow~

  12. #72
    Rift Disciple LutherVanguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    I don't have a problem soloing pyros as of right now, I usually always win with around 1 to 30% health left over, so yeah its a brutal fight but its fun.

    I play a Assassin, if it wasn't for Cleanse Soul in the pvp tree then it would be another story.
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm, We ran to the sounds of the thunder, We danced among the lightning bolts, and tore the world asunder.

  13. #73
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Yeah there's more than what I wrote I just think its hilarious that so many mages complain about physical damage mitigation of warriors when a dps warrior has about 40% phys damage mitigation which puts them on par for physical damage mitgation with a pyro (without counting all the defensive shields and addition mitigation available to the pyro) and the pyro would also have 30% magical damage mitigation.

    I've been thinking about rolling a mage but with a warrior, cleric and rogue I don't think I could face the Guardian storyline again. Might have to roll him on defiant.

  14. #74
    Ascendant Ticklepink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ferrum, Virginia,USA
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    generally when people die to my mitigation its because they're like rabid dogs on my neck refusing to change targets....Ive watched countless rogues and warrs swing at me while 3 other people were on them and i just stood there...watching their HP dwindle..as they swung at me..like I had mind control over the three other people killing them.

    Oh and I do give up alot of dps spec to invest in that..I don't hit hard..I count on chipping away mostly..which almost never happens.
    Last edited by Ticklepink; 04-20-2011 at 12:24 AM.
    FortyFive sigbanners ~Harrow~

  15. #75
    Rift Disciple Monarrch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Supra99 View Post
    ok maybe GOS is overpowered but its also because there is no protection against spells. For example tanks like paladins, riftstalkers, justicars, etc can mitigate about 50% physical damage due to armor and buffs. When it comes to spells their 50 earth resist mitigates like 5% damage? that is a huge discrepancy. that means melee dps is doing about half damage while caster dps are doing 95% of their damage.

    The numbers are just estimates, i'm sure geared players can pull off even higher physical and magical resists, but there is a huge gap between the two kinds of mitigation: spells and physical damage
    Warriors are still op and still do more dps than any Mage. Parses are proving that. Mages can't tank so don't mitigate physical damage at all so ur point about spell damage is moot. With warriors and rogues doing the dps they do and then giving them spell resists too!?! You just won't be satisfied till u can beat everyone huh?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts