+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No perfect soul build for PvP

Default No perfect soul build for PvP

I laugh at people who come up with builds saying this is the perfect soul build for PvP. The beauty of Rift's soul massive customization on their soul builds allows it so that people who are used to a certain way to initiate combat with a target may initiate in a different way then another person might.

Once you identify which type of combatant you are it's a matter of picking that right of soul abilities that compliments that play-style. So for someone to go straight up pyro or necro or lock just based on that soul tree working for someone may not really work for you.

It's like your trying to be MJ in the court when your better off being Derek Jeter on the field. Bad example but you get the analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Davador View Post
    I laugh at people who come up with builds saying this is the perfect soul build for PvP. The beauty of Rift's soul massive customization on their soul builds allows it so that people who are used to a certain way to initiate combat with a target may initiate in a different way then another person might.

Once you identify which type of combatant you are it's a matter of picking that right of soul abilities that compliments that play-style. So for someone to go straight up pyro or necro or lock just based on that soul tree working for someone may not really work for you.

It's like your trying to be MJ in the court when your better off being Derek Jeter on the field. Bad example but you get the analogy.

Good post. Wish more people approached the game with the same attitude. Find what you like, then make it strong, not find what is strong then make it what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Davador View Post
    100% Agree. More people need to think like this. Wish more people played how they want to play instead of how others want them to play. Gaming would be so much more fun when you don't have the "PLAY THIS WAY OR YOU WON'T GET A GROUP" plaguing you all the time.

Go Rift!
    Last edited by Ariedien; 04-18-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Champion of Telara

Rofl if you're naive enough to think cookie cutters don't exist in Rift, and that they're not the best.
    Dancer/Yeah of Briarcliff

Quote Originally Posted by faction View Post
    Rofl if you're naive enough to think cookie cutters don't exist in Rift, and that they're not the best.
    And I am hoping the trend is Not more gamers like this, that find out what is strongest first and then try to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

Champion of Telara

I wish the community would play what works instead of trying hard to be different and failing at the game.

Soulwalker

I wish the community would play what works instead of trying hard to be different and failing at the game.
    It's called learning to play your character. Shouldn't matter what spec you do, if you learn to play it correctly, it will perform just as well as the "ZOMG THIS BUILD IS THE BEST" ones. I have never used other peoples specs when playing, and I do just as good as the next person because I learn to play the spec. It is called "Intelligence," but most gamers don't know what that is.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ariedien View Post
    It's called learning to play your character. Shouldn't matter what spec you do, if you learn to play it correctly, it will perform just as well as the "ZOMG THIS BUILD IS THE BEST" ones.
    This is what this person actually believes.

Soulwalker

This is what this person actually believes.
    Cause it's true. If more people thought like that, do you think we would have all this "X class is OP, nerf them!!" posts? You would have less "OP" classes and more of a mix, which would be 100x more fun than what goes on in any game these days.

Anyway, peace out and have fun following others.

Champion of Telara

If everyone thought like that, the game would be 50000x easier for me and everyone else who isn't trying to be a unique (but terrible) snowflake. You know why? Because it's not even remotely true...

It's called learning to play your character. Shouldn't matter what spec you do, if you learn to play it correctly, it will perform just as well as the "ZOMG THIS BUILD IS THE BEST" ones. I have never used other peoples specs when playing, and I do just as good as the next person because I learn to play the spec. It is called "Intelligence," but most gamers don't know what that is.
    It is true, you can perfect a skill by learning although it doesn't mean it's enjoyable. It's called conditional Training... a psychological thing and works in the real world.. I can't recall his name but a famous psychologist said give me a baby and leave me alone and I can make him be anything with the right tools.

The point is I'm trying to make is, there's not 1 superior PvP build and you would have a much more fun experience and still be an affecting factor in PvP if you look at yourself, see what you like and perfect that. Conditioning yourself into something that you really haven't tried will take time and doesn't guarantee the fun factor aspect of it which is very important in a game.
    Last edited by Davador; 04-18-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Champion of Telara

If everyone thought like that, the game would be 50000x easier for me and everyone else who isn't trying to be a unique (but terrible) snowflake. You know why? Because it's not even remotely true...
    Every soul and spec are not equally as good, good builds arent as pigeonholed and cookiecutter as you are making them out to be though. There are definitely some souls that are better at PvP than others and some souls are situationaly good. There are always some points to play with for personal preference.

Skill is much more of a factor than some people are willing to admit. If you are good or even decent you can beat someone who is bad, even if they are playing a superior soul to yours. In competitive play though you obviously wont do as well with some of the weaker builds.

Thats what 4 specs and the abillity to change on the fly are for.

My guess is that most of the pvp cookie cutter builds are not optimal and people that find a build they really think is great aren't going to post it.

For pve sure.

How I came about my build was quite simple, first I played around with all the souls in the game and found the one I really liked a lot, I then downloaded a combat parser to see where i was standing vs other people and my current setup, after finding out what my mistakes where I gained around 250 dps on assassin which left me with a 600dps + build in lv1 experts. I then used this exact same build for PURE single target dps and made it into my pvp build also since survivability is way over rated for assassins.

After gaining rank 3 i started using my pvp soul, in the end valor is all you need for keeping you alive, focus on the dps, but then again that's assassin for you, blade dancer has an amazing build also but it requires a completely different play style.

So find what works for you and try to stay away from too many cooldowns.
    Last edited by LutherVanguard; 04-19-2011 at 12:54 AM.
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm, We ran to the sounds of the thunder, We danced among the lightning bolts, and tore the world asunder.

I'll disagree with you, even though i am on your side of the fence.

Let me explain. Yes, i wish people would just play the spec they like, and tailor-fit it to be as good as possible. I personally don't go for the best known build, i just try and play whatever i like best.

Now, that doesn't means there are not specs/builds better than others. There simply are some that perform a little better, because of synergies. To not see that is just fooling yourself.

Then add to this that you have to consider your opponents having the same "intelligence" you speak of, or skill. You WILL face opponents as good as you are, better ones too. In that case, the best spec wins (considering both of you make the same amounts of mistakes), simple.

No real other way around.

Doesnt mean you have to go for those best specs. Its a game, have fun, play what you like.
    Last edited by xIGGYx; 04-19-2011 at 12:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast