+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something most people have missed.....

Telaran

Default Something most people have missed.....

IDK if people skimmed over it, or what....but it doesn't look to have been mentioned much. But according to the sticky post :

However there is no rest for the weary and we’re hard at work on adding some new PVP gameplay into RIFT. We’ll talk about this in more detail once we have things hammered out. That being said people should expect to hear more about things like PvP open world zone events, weekend events with alternate game mode warfronts, and PvP leaderboards & statistics soon!
    I'm seeing open world pvp EVENTS, which to me doesn't mean the siege/rvr zones some of you want. Just probably badly implemented capture x in stillmoor for 5% more dmg buff trash. I see probably "holiday weekend +favor/prestige" like warcraft does, weekend bonus to warfront x.

What interests me most is the pvp leaderboards/stats line. That is a huge telling sentence, into which i see "arena".

I'm excited. PVP is nothing if not competition. Get ready kids.

I saw that and am fairly excited for what it could be, but we shall see. If their most recent world event is any reflection of content that might be added in the future, then no thanks.

This game definitely needs more instanced game play. Seriously. No, really.

Oh, wait...

PvP open world events will be a disaster when you can only see 50 targets around you. Trion never lifted the beta limits.

Leaderboards and statistics doesn't necessarily mean arena.

DAoC had leaderboards and statistics, and there was no arena to be found anywhere near that game.

I won't get into the whole arena argument, but I generally agree that games these days have too many instanced zones and we shouldn't be looking to add anymore areas away from the general public.

Yeah could mean daoc / warhammer style realm war page not arena stats.
    Mage - steel cannon
    Rogue - tin pistol
    Warrior - glass machine gun
    Cleric - adamantium machine gun

Telaran

I've never played daoc or warhammer. I went from D2 to EQ to WoW. What stats did/does the daoc/warhammer leaderboards keep track of? What are the rankings based off of if there is no solo or group based set pvp....kills? "Siege" or basically time investment? Hope not.

Also yeah the model view range in this game is horrid...really destroys world pvp. They need to increase the range by a lot. Especially if world pvp is on their agenda.

Look I love pvp just as much or more than anyone on these boards. Instanced or world, doesn't matter. The thing I don't understand is why people are so set against arena or instanced pvp...world pvp has its flash of greatness moments....but in the end, its mostly just you getting zerged or zerging. It's not fun or skillful at all. There is really no way to create a ranking out of that or show player quality in that. Instanced, small group (solo prob won't happen...but at least 2v2 or 3v3) is a set amount of players v players, with no outside influence...no ppl rezzing, no mobs, no 3v10...you get my point. My best vs your best.

I hate to say it but while world pvp is fun, I feel like the people against arena are really just afraid they don't or can't stack up in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Moanlol View Post
    I've never played daoc or warhammer. I went from D2 to EQ to WoW. What stats did/does the daoc/warhammer leaderboards keep track of? What are the rankings based off of if there is no solo or group based set pvp....kills? "Siege" or basically time investment? Hope not.

Also yeah the model view range in this game is horrid...really destroys world pvp. They need to increase the range by a lot. Especially if world pvp is on their agenda.

Look I love pvp just as much or more than anyone on these boards. Instanced or world, doesn't matter. The thing I don't understand is why people are so set against arena or instanced pvp...world pvp has its flash of greatness moments....but in the end, its mostly just you getting zerged or zerging. It's not fun or skillful at all. There is really no way to create a ranking out of that or show player quality in that. Instanced, small group (solo prob won't happen...but at least 2v2 or 3v3) is a set amount of players v players, with no outside influence...no ppl rezzing, no mobs, no 3v10...you get my point. My best vs your best.

I hate to say it but while world pvp is fun, I feel like the people against arena are really just afraid they don't or can't stack up in the end.

Me personally, I like the idea of arena. I like working togther with a group of players on a regular basis, but the reality of arenas is terrible for the game. The problem exists that classes are eliminated from playability do to spotlighted utility in the very small group make ups. It becomes very evident very quickly, that certain combinations of souls is Going to do better in this environment. The classes with immunities, damage reduction, and offensive cool downs are going to be paired with classes with heals and dispels, anything other than that is suicide to these teams, and it becomes like steroids in baseball, you have to use them just to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Moanlol View Post

The best thing is that no one is forcing them to play in arenas, yet they are so adamant about it never being implemented. If people wanted world pvp like they say, then people would do it. It's currently an option in the game.

They could argue all day that their is no incentive to world PvP, but what is it they really want then? Gear? Give me a break. Everyone that wants arenas doesn't even want items. We just want ranked games.
    Last edited by WarTornPanda; 04-18-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by ShalarLight View Post
    Me personally, I like the idea of arena. I like working togther with a group of players on a regular basis, but the reality of arenas is terrible for the game. The problem exists that classes are eliminated from playability do to spotlighted utility in the very small group make ups. It becomes very evident very quickly, that certain combinations of souls is Going to do better in this environment. The classes with immunities, damage reduction, and offensive cool downs are going to be paired with classes with heals and dispels, anything other than that is suicide to these teams, and it becomes like steroids in baseball, you have to use them just to compete.
    Yes but there is always checks and balances, basically. Naturally some "comps" have stronger synergy than others...but for every team they beat, there will be another who trumps them in some way. In theory at least. In world pvp none of this exists at all, its literally 10ppl focus training 1 person. I'd rather have slightly imbalanced set pvp than completely skilless pvp(world/zerging/variables).

Plus, the difference is with rift....you can change team set-ups literally game to game if arena existed....with the same players. WoW's downfall was if you played RMP, and wanted to switch it up, you needed alts or completely different players. And with FOTM's emerging every "balance" patch, its annoying I know. But in rift let's say they implement 2v2. Let's say you prefer to run a cc/burst comp like inquisitor+pyro...if you run into let's say a "defensive cooldown" team like you say of riftstalker/warden for example....the next game you can swap souls and run warden/sent+locK/chloro....or necro/chloro. Completely different gameplay, and much more capable of dragging out game's vs a turtle team. So in theory, you aren't so pigeonholed into "you team is what it is and you're going to win vs xyz and lose to abc" matter of fact world of warcraft type arena that everyone hates.

I really feel arena need's to be implemented. Arena isn't the downfall of pvp imo, its the pinnacle. The problem is balancing, not arena itself. Arena is the purest type of pvp because there is no outside variables, which therefore maybe brings balance flaws to the forefront...but it doesn't help to ignore arena, and ignore actual balancing in favor of world siege/RvR zerg large group pvp where any semblance of skill is lost, and flaws are hidden because you're being focused by 10 people each death so "its ok there's nothing you could have done, run back to corpse".

Quote Originally Posted by WarTornPanda View Post
    The best thing is that no one is forcing them to play in arenas, yet they are so adamant about it never being implemented. If people wanted world pvp like they say, then people would do it. It's currently an option in the game.

They could argue all day that their is no incentive to world PvP, but what is it they really want then? Gear? Give me a break. Everyone that wants arenas doesn't even want items. We just want ranked games.
    no the thing with rvr is claiming territory, that's the addictive thing, can't quit until every zone area is your colour. Or conversely, can't quit while that hated enemy owns everything. Real pride, working together its great, 2 vs 2 cannever offer the same level if saturation as 100 vs 60 when your the 60 and you still won through.
    Mage - steel cannon
    Rogue - tin pistol

Should add. If they do arena, please copy a good arena system, i.e GW not WOW.

Most of the things wrong with rift pvp are to do with its wowyness. We don't need pvp to be more wow like.
    Mage - steel cannon
    Rogue - tin pistol

Soulwalker

Arenas would be a sweet deal, but letting it happen naturally in open world would be fine too. Worked great in daoc, and I played that game for years because of it. The leader board stuff sounds great too.

Quote Originally Posted by krilly View Post
    no the thing with rvr is claiming territory, that's the addictive thing, can't quit until every zone area is your colour. Or conversely, can't quit while that hated enemy owns everything. Real pride, working together its great, 2 vs 2 cannever offer the same level if saturation as 100 vs 60 when your the 60 and you still won through.
    I would be totally okay with them adding RvR as well. I don't understand why people that want RvR or anything else don't want arenas.

Arena players are never cutting down the requests of other players so I really don't understand the hatred.

Rift Chaser

Maybe it means zone events. Like, instead of "close X rifts, kill the raid boss, and get a neat token" it could be "kill N Defiant before they destroy Guardian stones X, Y, and Z and get a neat token" where N is number dependent on zone population at the start of the event.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast