+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If you had to rate each warfront on a scale of 1 to 10...

Shield of Telara

Default If you had to rate each warfront on a scale of 1 to 10...

1 being awful and 10 being awesome, What would you rate it and why?

Black Garden: 7/10

Black garden can make for some fun games - Especially when the teams are pug on pug. I've had some real close nailbiters where the game ends 500-498, a few where it was literally decided by a couple second margin of victory. It really tests skill playing in a premade against another premade and switching things up to do things differently. Plus, the fang damaging the carrier forces there to be some action - Personally, I'd like it if even more damage was dealt to the carrier so it was a constant hot potato instead of a 4 man handoff.

It loses points due to poor aoe design (Namely stormcaller/cabalist/pyro) being able to obliterate entire teams without effort in such a small sandbox, how easy it is to force a team not to participate since it's maybe 5 steps from the middle to camping the other team's graveyard, and general slow ability to "get back into" a game. If a team ever falls behind, it's exceedingly rough to get back into the game due to the fact another team can pretty much just set up an impenetrable barrier as you rez.

The Codex: - 8/10

Honestly, I'm surprised I ranked Codex so high. It's the only warfront that really encourages action and rewards honest defense. If the codex is stacked in the other team's favour it's entirely feasible to hit the other 3 nodes and force them off. Allowing so many splits of forces and having to watch 2-3 nodes at once makes sure people actually have to watch flags and nodes to make sure they don't get taken in a couple of seconds. Aside from the AoE clustercrush at codex, it encourages a good range of running around, some good placement, even some pillars to work around.

Some bad things about the map are a few things - Vault is entirely too worthless an objective to be in the last spot, and it really shouldn't be. There are too many powerup balls, if I want I can literally run around the entire match with wings, and so can any other player if they play smart. Players can be camped easily at their spawn as usual, which is something that really shouldn't be possible on any map. Other than that, it's pretty good.

Whitefall Steppes - 2/10

I can't say many good things about whitefall steppes. There's a bit of strategy running the stone, and it forces you to protect your carrier. There's a decent balance of powerups in both bases along with one in the middle which adds a little variety to your map and lets a carrier get away instead of being mobbed all the way across the field.

That being said, the map is pretty much utter trash. It's like you're playing a really boring game of soccer, except the soccer field is 4 times as large as it normally is, and you don't pass the ball, you just clutch it possessively and charge into eachother like players in a football game. There is no way to reward offense as simply crossing the map on your horse takes 2 minutes (And even then, getting across the field usually ends up in a pointless fight along the way), when you reach the other team's shard it is always defended by 10 members of the team, and even if you down the carrier, they're sitting directly beside their spawn so attacks will *always* fail.

If a team manages to capture a sourcestone, they will then proceed to turtle for the next 15 minutes, ruining all the fun the game possibly could've had, which isn't much. If the field was smaller, the spawn point nowhere near the capture point (or at LEAST 10 seconds away) and you could run a decent offense, the map might be worth playing. As it is, I feel like drinking an entire bottle of wine whenever the whitefall steppes queue comes up so I won't remember playing it.

Port of Scion - 6/10

Honestly, all in all, Port of Scion is a fun map and a fun concept. It's just done really poorly. Sourcestone running, Idol destroying and boss killing is all fun and games, and clearing out a church of baddies along with fighting people of the opposite faction is a cool idea at its core. The bridge is a neat mechanic for an alternate spawn point and defending a chain of sourcestone carriers is always fun. The quests are.. I wouldn't say fun, but they add a little something that isn't just grind grind grind.

That being said, they kind of forgot a few things. Destroying idols is tedious and unfun. Killing the opposing faction's boss is not possible unless you've snuck 2 organized premades into the PS. Sourcestone running is long and boring. Mobs follow you the length of the entire map, the opposing factions mobs are possibly the dumbest things ever, since they literally follow you around if within 30 yards and never stop following you until one of you die. The bridge can simply be aoed nonstop. They put in neat concepts but forgot to make them work.

Without further wordiness, what would you rate em?
    Ugar - Spitescar - PvP

It's hard for me to take anything you say seriously since you rated Port Scion above Whitefall. Black Garden might be the least entertaining of the bunch since it usually revolves around people face smashing their keyboard to use as much AoE as possible.

0/10 to all except codex, which gets a 3/10

give us RvR

Ascendant

1/10 whitefall is to complex for random groups, this would rock in guild vs. guild combats though.

i like black guarden (8/10) because one guild/premade can make a difference. codex (6/10) is fine too but has a bit (not as much as) the same problems as whitefall.

Port Scion rocks imho (9/10), thex should get rid of the respawning normal npcs. only the champs and hero should stay.
    Last edited by Antigonos; 04-18-2011 at 03:46 AM.

Agree with op, codex is best, whitefall is worst.

I wish they would change whitefall to a bomb run instead of ctf map. So that you pick up "flag" from your own base (it centre of map) and deliver it to oponenent base. Would make it less turtle.
    Mage - steel cannon
    Rogue - tin pistol
    Warrior - glass machine gun
    Cleric - adamantium machine gun

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by WarTornPanda View Post
    It's hard for me to take anything you say seriously since you rated Port Scion above Whitefall. Black Garden might be the least entertaining of the bunch since it usually revolves around people face smashing their keyboard to use as much AoE as possible.
    If i rated port scion below whitefall, it would be somewhere in the gutter, which it's really not. It's a map that could be fun if it was done properly. As it is, it's not really fun.. hence the 6.

This isn't an RvR thread, there are 100 other threads to post that in. I think the "warfront" in the title was a good tipoff.
    Ugar - Spitescar - PvP

Quote Originally Posted by krilly View Post
    I wish they would change whitefall to a bomb run instead of ctf map. So that you pick up "flag" from your own base (it centre of map) and deliver it to oponenent base. Would make it less turtle.
    +1 interwebz. This would make the map so much more entertaining.

Shield of Telara

I actually totally agree. I wish whitefall was that in opposite. That would be the BEST map ever. Make it half the size and make it bomb runs. It would be 8+ out of 10 then.
    Ugar - Spitescar - PvP

Black Garden - 6/10
    Is a pretty straightforward warfront. That so many players have a problem with the objectives is a reflection upon the players and not the warfront. It generally moves at a decent pace when at least one side knows what they are doing - it can be tedious if both sides do not belong there. It allows you to play to the strengths of your team while trying to downplay the strengths of your opponents.

The Codex - 8/10
    Again, a relatively straightforward warfront. That some players do not understand the importance of the Codex node is once again a reflection on the players and not the warfront. It is the name of the warfront, it is first in the list, as points trickle along - the value of the Codex becomes obvious. While holding 3 nodes other than the Codex is technically a viable means to victory, it is an illusion. Perhaps it is lingering hate of GM, but Vault really rubs me the wrong way. It leaves me to wonder why there are four nodes and not simply three. Still though, that is on players and it is kind of nifty that such a trap exists. I'm actually giving it back a general point it had lost.

Whitefall Steppes - 6/10
    Once more, a pretty straightforward warfront - again most of the issues fall on the players and not the warfront itself. There is really not much to say about this one . . . well, except for this: given the wait some people experience in queues, there are those that will cap one flag and turtle until the match ends. One might be tempted to say that the other team should be able to just get in there and grab it - even numbers and all, right? Well, the turtling team can reinforce faster - so no, this is not the case. Can be tedious and annoying.

Port Scion - N/A
    I only know of this queue having popped once on our shard, and the folks that got in were out in under 2 minutes because of the lack of players.

For each, I took a point off for the maps not being mirrored. I also took a point off for the wasted space on each map. Another point I took off was for them being able to start with uneven numbers.

Black Garden is Abysmal. 1/10 at the very best for being a basic deathmatch. The "hot potato" aspect of black garden leaves the map completely unplayable to any pugs, because if you're like me and just played 3 in a row with 1 cleric or less, you know it's impossible for your team to hold the shard any length of time and 2 of those matches I just afk'd out of.

Telaran

Black Garden - 3/10

The only thing that saves it is the fact that the Fang does damage. Fighting in one small area is not fun.

The Codex - 7/10

It's not original, but it is well designed.

Whitefall Steppes - 5/10

There's not much to it, but I don't have the problems with it that some above do.

Port Scion - 7/10

I want to give it more points, because it is very cool in theory, but the objectives are not balanced. As it is, only the bridge and church matter. I have not seen a boss kill by either side. Running stones will end a match on points/buffs long before any attempt to kill the boss can be carried out. The strike forces launched by turning in quests should also be more numerous and more powerful.

Black Garden is a mosh pit, though can be fun. I would like to see the shard removed from Black Garden though, and let it be the death match, it should be.

The Codex: - 3/10

Codex sucks when you've got several rogues in stealth, that remain at a flag, cap it (under immunities), and restealth.

Whitefall Steppes - 2/10

I really do not like this one. It would be better if only one shard could be picked up at one time, and everyone had to either protect the shard carrier, or kill the shard carrier.

Port of Scion - 9/10

Remove the buff you get for turning in shards, and this map would be perfect.

MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post

Black Garden is a mosh pit, though can be fun. I would like to see the shard removed from Black Garden though, and let it be the death match, it should be.

The Codex: - 3/10

Codex sucks when you've got several rogues in stealth, that remain at a flag, cap it (under immunities), and restealth.

Whitefall Steppes - 2/10

I really do not like this one. It would be better if only one shard could be picked up at one time, and everyone had to either protect the shard carrier, or kill the shard carrier.

Port of Scion - 9/10

Remove the buff you get for turning in shards, and this map would be perfect.
    I just wanted to point out that you basically said that you wanted Whitefall to be the exact same thing as Black Garden.

Quote Originally Posted by WarTornPanda View Post
    I just wanted to point out that you basically said that you wanted Whitefall to be the exact same thing as Black Garden.
    Really? I said I wanted Whitefall fang to do damage to the carrier, and I didn't make any changes to Black Garden? I wasn't aware you could "turn in" the Black Garden fang either.
    Last edited by Visions; 04-18-2011 at 11:19 AM.

MMORPG played: Everquest I, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Everquest II, Aion, Warhammer Online, and Fallen Earth (BETA only).
    We all meet as equals on the battlefield, but we don't leave as such.
    Topeka Photography

Blackgarden: 6/10 - Good game idea, do not like how it is boxed into the one center area of an otherwise awsome map. The map design is incredible, and I can see ranking the map 8/10 or 9/10, but the actually game play drags it back down to 6/10. Teams give up rather than trying something else. I also do not like how powerful a warrior is on this map, it gets kind of crazy sometimes.

Codex: 7.5-8 / 10 - Good design, again the map provides some very very interesting pvp opportunities, allows very small groups to harry the larger group. I like that there are 2 very viable means to victory, with all kinds of nuances thrown in, very rarely is one game exactly like another game. The map and game play promotes teams to keep trying, and even if defeat is assured, it is possible to find some good fights even in a landslide.

Whitefall: 6-9 /10 depending on your team. Again, so many different strats you can use, the map is Fantastic with so many obscure choke points and forks, allows for very very interesting specs to shine. I like capture the flag as well, and I like that you can play a team to a tie.

Port of Scion 7/10: this one is growing on me, again multiple strats to use, the map has such a variety of terrain from open field fighting in front of the church to pillar humping, to choke points. The church is just such an awsome battlefield, and having completed objectives to launch npc attacks can really help you get back on track after a rez in graveyard instead of at the bridge.

Over all I like the maps, but I have had the positive experience of fighting ~ same skilled team in some very very close games on all the maps. Some games we get rolled, some games we roll, but against that group, we get alot of very competitive games.
    Last edited by ShalarLight; 04-18-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast