+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Focus, Hit and Toughness in PVP

Sword of Telara

Default Focus, Hit and Toughness in PVP

Before I start here I'll just say I haven't actually rolled a mage yet, so apologies in advance for any mistakes made. I did do some searches on [Focus] but couldn't find any good posts on the topic.

I was having a discussion with the guildies a while back re. going all [Fire Res] with my planar essences in an effort to cut back on damage from pyros. The basic conclusion is that it was a fairly worthless idea because most pyros are running around in PVE gear not PVP gear so would have a lot of [Focus] and just ignore all [Fire Res].

At first I just wrote off the idea but the more I think about it the more this the less it makes sense why the devs would have [Focus] work in PVP the same way it does in PVE.

-----------------------------

As I understand it, focus acts like [Hit] in that it directly reduces your miss rate (spell resist) with spells. It additionally reduces your targets elemental resistances like [Fire Res]. So basically it works like [Hit] and an armor penetration talent combined. With full endgame PVE gear it is quite possible to stack enough focus to reduce your opponents [Fire Res] to 0 so in effect this skill is working exactly like the armor penetration bug did for Paragons.

Physical damage classes however have to deal with their opponents [armor] minus a small fraction if they have taken armor pen talents (5% reduction for warrior).

[Hit] doesn't really seem to do much in pvp. You don't miss against other players unless you dual wield and I haven't seen any data that actually demonstrates that [Hit] improves your chance to hit while Dual Wielding.

[Toughness] is completely useless in pvp.

------------------------------

Given those points can anyone tell me if [Focus] is actually working the same way it does in PVE as it does in PVP? And if so why on earth would they do that?

If they have realised that [Toughness] would make tanks unkillable in PVP why wouldn't they at least disable the [Elemental Resist] reduction portion of [Focus] for pvp.

To put this in perspective for you it means that a pvp geared mage is actually gimping themselves in damage output over a PVE geared mage against any target with an [Elemental Resist] score and that's before we take into consideration the high [SP] and [Magic Crit] available with PVE sets.

--------------------------------

Hopefully the information I've gotten here is wrong and there is actually some point to stacking [Fire res] but if this is right this also means PVP geared mages are doing less damage to players than PVE geared ones. Which is ludicrous.
    Last edited by Xandarth; 04-17-2011 at 07:26 PM.

is toughness completely disabled in pvp? because if its not, then the reduced chance to be crit it gives is the single biggest advantage any player can have. better than valor, better than any hit or focus

Sword of Telara

As I understand it, toughness is disabled in pvp.

I agree though if it is not it would again be better to wear a toughness set than a pvp set. :/

+ Reply to Thread