+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trion please read. PvP needs improvements badly

Default Trion please read. PvP needs improvements badly

Let me start by saying I like the game, it has a lot to offer. Love the option to change 4 different specs on the fly with a combination of all the classes. Love the ability to pretty much kill anyone anywhere. Here is the thing though, the only reasonable way to gain prestige at a good rate is to do the 4 warfronts over and over. Also whitefall is fun once in a while but is just not worth it for the time spent.

Currently people who pve are rewarded while pvp really penalizes you in character progression.

When I hit prestige 2 I took a look at the amount needed to level which was around 90k. If I were to solo pvp in the world I would have to kill roughly 1800 players myself to level. Currently with the population on my server that would take an extreme amount of time or any server. This is the reason why you don't see anyone pvping in the open world. Currently I like the open world pvp and it has potential with the things that are already in the game already. Rifts provide plenty of traffic for killing players even at 50.

Not only is prestige and favor pretty gimpy in the open world but there is hardly any monetary gains. I pvped my way half way through to 50 I am guessing and now I am prestige 3 and still do not have an epic mount, soon I will probably have the port scion notoriety 90% mount. Although I am above honored with the black garden faction and it offers nothing to me.

I know that your pvp department is still probably in the works so you're working on it. But I urge you to make this a priority because a lot of people I know that are almost pure pvpers are not satisfied. I would look at the following games for inspiration on improving the pvp experience: Shadowbane and Warhammer online. Although they both handled pvp gains differently they were both pretty satisfying and always kept you gaining and enjoying. Shadowbane had full bag loot drop which I am sure people can't handle in a game like this but it also offered mines in each zone. The mines would have an open window every day which you would need to fight for control and when you owned it you got resources to make amazing gear. You could definitely incorporate something like this with the resources in your game with items like planarite. When you killed someone solo in warhammer you got a very nice chunk of renown depending on the pvp rank they were. They also dropped items and marks which you could save for gear(favor but you don't get enough for kills). They also had keeps which were a great source of pvp interaction.

You could add something like the foothold/rift feature but make it a pvp rift. Say you open the pvp tear and defeat w/e mobs. Then your faction controls the foothold, give it a building that is like a small fort. If the faction holds the pvp rift for a certain amount of time they are rewarded. The game offers many opportunities within itself to come up with many creative ideas.

I'm sure you will bring something to the table Trion, but after so many pvp mmorpg disappointments in the past a lot of us can be a little paranoid/skeptical of pvp failure.

Soulwalker

A wall of text hits you for (19,946)
    Last edited by oakleysteve; 04-17-2011 at 11:45 AM.

tldr; Please improve gains from open world pvp and add some creative ways for open world pvp interaction.

Rift Disciple

It saddens me because, at least according to these boards, no one even plays these games anymore for fun...you know, what games are supposed to be for? I enjoy WFs, knowing they obviously won't ever be balanced because it's an MMO, simply because they are fun. I wouldn't care if I ever was guaranteed some "epic fat l00tz" for doing it. This generation of gamers, and humans in general, are so obsessed with instant gratification that nothing is done purely for pleasure anymore. Variable positive reinforcement (loot compulsion) is one of the fundamental design aspects of MMOs and hell, I think it could be fun if random epics or whatever could drop in WFs, just like dungeons. I just don't think anything needs to be guaranteed.

Bump for hope a Trion person reads this.

+ Reply to Thread