+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Arenas", or call them whatever you want!

Rift Disciple

Default "Arenas", or call them whatever you want!

Right now, people are complaining about pre-mades a lot. People are also complaining about their team doing nothing and that they should learn how to play the game.

What I have noticed is that a huge part of the forum posters are against arena styled PVP. WoW implemented it in TBC but their biggest mistake was to give the arena players better gear than you could possibly get from normal, instanced PVP. I can really understand why people doesn't like this kind of PVP, but shouldn't the genre evolve instead of walking in the successful predecessors' footprints.

I might be the wrong person to write this since I'm a person who loves competitive play, but I really like to share my thoughts. I'm not saying that arena is the best way of implementing competitive play, because that's not what I believe. I believe that a good way to build up competitive PVP in any game is by making goals that's not just "Kill the other team". Think about playing Black Garden 6 vs. 6, or something similair.

I also believe that a competitive side of the game can bring more people to RIFT, and also make the possibility for tournaments to be established ar major lan-events.

What a team vs. team feature would make:
    - No premades vs. pugs.
    - Open up the game for the huge E-Sport community out there.

As I see it, competitve PVP is a great way to play with true teamplay. I love playing as a team and I always will. I would play team vs. team games even if I didn't get any rewards, and I believe others would too.

TL;DR
    Arenas was bad implemented in WoW, but the idea isn't bad. Make competitve PVP with real objectives instead of just "Kill the other team"

Shadowlander

While I agree with your idea in spirit,the reality of it is the suggestion would NEVER work as intended for the simple reasons that those who are in premades are looking to grind quick favor, not seek a challenge.

To back up this acertation, I call to attention the "Team Versus" feature added to Left 4 Dead 2. People calmored for the system to be added to stop the 'premades pug stomping". Once finally added, it turns out nobody but the brave and noble few premades who actually want a challenge use it. Most of the premades go on pug stomping anyway.

I'm not without a suggestion, however. Gives these people something to stroke their Epeen about. Go ahead an add a leaderboard for these teams with no reward attached. I believe the bragging rights may be enough to entice a good number of these premades into it.

Soulwalker

I can just sign.

Something like GvG in GuildWars would be so awsome in this game.
    Please Trion, learn from it and give us something like that. GW is the only game in this genre with a good competitive system, but it is getting old. The gamemode itself was very simple but required so much of teamplay, strategy and tactics. It really wouldn't be hard to implement something like that.

I can really understand people who hate WoW-Arena, cause it is just stupid deathmatch without tactics and 2vs2, 3vs3 is just too small and makes it impossible to balance without destroying the balance of the rest of the game. But this is not WoW and Trion doesn't have to do it wrong like Blizzard did.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeldian View Post
    While I agree with your idea in spirit,the reality of it is the suggestion would NEVER work as intended for the simple reasons that those who are in premades are looking to grind quick favor, not seek a challenge.

To back up this acertation, I call to attention the "Team Versus" feature added to Left 4 Dead 2. People calmored for the system to be added to stop the 'premades pug stomping". Once finally added, it turns out nobody but the brave and noble few premades who actually want a challenge use it. Most of the premades go on pug stomping anyway.
    That is just wrong!
    There are hundreds of teams active in the GvG-Ladder of GW till today (2000+ in the best times of the game) and they are competing without any rewards, just a worldwide ladder and tournaments. No rewards or gear to grind, no pugs to stomp. The rating is only for your guild, the player himself doesn't get anything.
    The other mode where guildteams and premades could fight against(and of course stomp) pugs and were grinding a title for themself as reward had not nearly as much players GvG had.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeldian View Post
    I'm not without a suggestion, however. Gives these people something to stroke their Epeen about. Go ahead an add a leaderboard for these teams with no reward attached. I believe the bragging rights may be enough to entice a good number of these premades into it.
    An elo-rating is absolutely required for a competitive system. And it's not because we need to show who has the biggest Epeen.
    A Ratingsystem isn't bad for players who have a low rating! It's in fact the only way for casuals or just not that talanted players to have fun in a competitive gamemode. There is no other way to get a good matchmaking and to ensure teams can fight opponents on their own skill-level most of the time. Without your Epeen-Rating, you just get onesided matches 95% of the time, like it is in warfonts now.
    Last edited by Tyr Oo; 04-08-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Rift Disciple

I agree. I have played some L4D2 and have tried playing Team Versus a few times, but most of the time we only got opponents who RQ'd because we were too good.

Back to topic. Like I said in OP, I do agree that DM isn't a good way to implement competitive and rated PVP. And I also agree that a rating system would at least for me be enough to play these games.

Thank you for your response and be calm about misspellings and grammar mistaktes since I wrote OP 2 AM.

Shadowlander

Yes for "arena". I havent played wow but it sounds very fun with little more competive gaming. Also i know lot of people who would switch over from wow to rift if they had arenas.

Sword of Telara

Arena was the best thing in WoW

Quote Originally Posted by ZeepaAan View Post
    Right now, people are complaining about pre-mades a lot. People are also complaining about their team doing nothing and that they should learn how to play the game.

What I have noticed is that a huge part of the forum posters are against arena styled PVP. WoW implemented it in TBC but their biggest mistake was to give the arena players better gear than you could possibly get from normal, instanced PVP. I can really understand why people doesn't like this kind of PVP, but shouldn't the genre evolve instead of walking in the successful predecessors' footprints.

I might be the wrong person to write this since I'm a person who loves competitive play, but I really like to share my thoughts. I'm not saying that arena is the best way of implementing competitive play, because that's not what I believe. I believe that a good way to build up competitive PVP in any game is by making goals that's not just "Kill the other team". Think about playing Black Garden 6 vs. 6, or something similair.

I also believe that a competitive side of the game can bring more people to RIFT, and also make the possibility for tournaments to be established ar major lan-events.

What a team vs. team feature would make:
    - No premades vs. pugs.
    - Open up the game for the huge E-Sport community out there.

As I see it, competitve PVP is a great way to play with true teamplay. I love playing as a team and I always will. I would play team vs. team games even if I didn't get any rewards, and I believe others would too.

TL;DR
    Arenas was bad implemented in WoW, but the idea isn't bad. Make competitve PVP with real objectives instead of just "Kill the other team"
    I agree with you, but more difficult pvp should offer better rewards, or at least special item enhancements or something along those lines.

Rift Disciple

I agree with you, but more difficult pvp should offer better rewards, or at least special item enhancements or something along those lines.
    Yes. But it's really important that just because you play "arena" doesn't give you better gear. Unique rewards are fine as long as they doesn't make the other PVP gear obsolete.

+ Reply to Thread