+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LOS and casters

Soulwalker

Default LOS and casters

Am I missing something about LOS and casters?

From what I can tell, as soon as a caster looks at a player and begins a cast, the skill is guaranteed to hit? I've noticed that I can't LOS anymore.

This is most noticeable with Channeled skills. A necro casts, soul purge on me, and I can see the link between us go through the ground if I'm LOSing with high ground. Am I missing something?

On the other hand, when my Marksman shots finish their cooldowm i frequently get LOS issues.

Quote Originally Posted by someNOOB View Post

From what I can tell, as soon as a caster looks at a player and begins a cast, the skill is guaranteed to hit? I've noticed that I can't LOS anymore.

This is most noticeable with Channeled skills. A necro casts, soul purge on me, and I can see the link between us go through the ground if I'm LOSing with high ground. Am I missing something?

On the other hand, when my Marksman shots finish their cooldowm i frequently get LOS issues.
    Nope, that's how it works contrary to what we were told. WE were told it would just let them hit people that run behind them because theyw ere to lazy to turn around.

I've tried to LOS a mage once he started casting fireball on a wall, tree and obstruction and all of them he shot through.

Channeled are just as bad. Walls, ground, trees... towers...
    Celestian, 50: Assassin(51), Faeblight/Guardian
    http://www.greycouncil.US/

Ascendant

When I go into warfronts on my mage or my cleric, if I start casting and someone runs behind an obstacle, the cast finishes with a message saying that I have no line of sight to my target Channeled spells are different. Once the channel begins, it continues until it's interrupted or it finishes regardless of what you run behind or how far away you run.

LoS does work for non-channeled spells but if the spell "effect" is already in the air when you duck for cover, it's too late for you. That's when you'll see it fly through trees and walls and yes, latency does play a part in it. What might look to you like your character breaking LoS before the cast went off looks differently to the server, and it's the server where the decisions are made.

Yeah as far as I can tell this only really works with channeled spells. Can see a rogue using it (to very good effect) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6osvFYqQf3o
    |: Zapafaz - 5x Mage :| |: Kethirus - 50 Cleric :| |: Zahrivesi - Levelling Rogue :| |: Feynara - 2x Warrior :|

- Faeblight ◊ Bahmi -

LOS works. but it can't just be a little out of sight. You have to really put a big tree or rock outcropping to make it happen.

LOS definetly works, tested and confirmed.
    what some people here are experiencing might be graphical lag...

in your screen you ducked behind the rock half a second before the guy finished casting his spell
    in his screen he finished casting just in time

the server decides he was right, not you. it tells your client that the hit landed.
    you are hit even tho the graphics dont make sense (like a fireball going thru a rock) because the server is forcing your client to catch up.

Shadowlander

LOS does not work

Once a caster starts his cast it means he had LOS on you and the spell will land reguardless of where you are, running behind makes no differance what so ever since the latest patch.

Utter rubbish but then there is nothing one can do about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Umeil View Post
    LOS does not work

Once a caster starts his cast it means he had LOS on you and the spell will land reguardless of where you are, running behind makes no differance what so ever since the latest patch.

Oh boy blatant misinformation!

If a caster starts casting on you, you can either:

1. Stay in their LoS (rather, the area around them) and eat the spell - even behind them.
    2. Get behind a solid obstacle before the spell completes, causing it to fail.
    3. Fail to get behind a solid obstacle in time, wherein the spell finishes before you've broken LoS and the projectile just flies through the tree/rock since it's tracing you.

That's it. LoS works. It has never worked on channeled spells, can't say if it's working as intended or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

Channeled spells havn't changed with the update to casting.
    Normal spells can be LOS'd, you just need to do it quick/completely (I often have sabs doing it (strafing) to avoid being hit, and it works fine).

As for the argument against it in the first place, I can't see how people can honestly think running through someone isn't lame/rubbish/silly in the context of someone casting a spell. The old system was pretty much the spellcaster suddenly "forgetting" who they are concentrating on to make the cast just because they bounce around you like a prat
    Rift CE & Founder Sub
    Asus ATi 6950HD Asus Crosshair IV Formula AMD PhenomII X6 1100T G.Skill 4GB 1.6Ghz (F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO)

Rift Disciple

They actually changed LOS a bit
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...PDT-4-00pm-BST

"PvP Combat: Abilities now only check for caster facing their target at the start of a cast – they will still land if a target moves behind you while casting is in progress."

I wouldn't have such a problem with this if they had treated bow users in exactly the same manner, but I get LOS'd with my bow all the time.

As for getting behind something, I've noticed as well that you need to be FAR behind something for LOS to work.
    Last edited by Nate2322; 04-06-2011 at 07:32 AM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Nate2322 View Post
    They actually changed LOS a bit
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...PDT-4-00pm-BST

"PvP Combat: Abilities now only check for caster facing their target at the start of a cast they will still land if a target moves behind you while casting is in progress."

I wouldn't have such a problem with this if they had treated bow users in exactly the same manner, but I get LOS'd with my bow all the time.

As for getting behind something, I've noticed as well that you need to be FAR behind something for LOS to work.
    This does not = LOS. All that means is if you start a cast and the person is behind you, it still hits them.

If you are behind a pillar when the cast finishes, you don't get hit - Period. Thing is, how often is that really happening? Not many mages fight beside pillars these days.
    Ugar - Spitescar - PvP

Ascendant

LOS does not work

There's a difference between LoS and whether or not the caster is facing you. Prior to the patch, when a caster started casting it would first check to see if they were facing the target. If they were, the cast would start. When the cast was finished, it would check again to see if they were facing their target. If they weren't, the cast would fail. LoS is an entirely different set of checks. Now it only checks once to see if the caster is facing their target, and it does this check when they start casting. It no longer checks again when they finishing casting meaning that you can still LoS behind an obstacle if you can do so before the cast finishes, but you can no longer run behind the caster to defeat the cast.

LoS still works fine.

If a channelled spell connects before LoS it will finish it's duration, regardless.

You just can't run back and forth through said mage anymore.

Fine imo.
    I'm that guy.

LOS does not work

Your wrong. I play a mage. I often times start a long cast spell and someone runs around a corner or out of range far enough that the spell doesn't go off and I get a message saying target is out of range or can't be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by someNOOB View Post

Definitely not true what you are experiencing. I play a caster, and I have several LOS issues each time in Codex. A cast will start, but if you run away or duck behind an object there is a message for the caster that says "Object is too far away" or "Can not see Object". LOS is alive and well in the game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast