+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to fix mages

Default How to fix mages

I love my mage but think pyro is a bit op and way too effective for minimal risk effectively pigeonholing most mages into some form of pyro spec for PvP dps.

Fixes for other Mage souls-

Dominator- Due to nerfs to DR, Transmogrify duration, and mana wrench along side some terrible talents deep in the tree and long cast times just isn't that useful with all the burst floating around.

Disarm Spell(seriously there are so few disarms compared to silences) make it 6 secs and put it in Disorients place as that spell is useless. 20-30 sec cooldown.

Offensive Dispel- No idea how or why Mages don't get access to some real offensive dispels

Controlled Opportunity- Needs to be moved up further in the tree or completely removed. Part of the Pyro issue comes from the 50% damage increase.

I also think Transmogrify's duration needs to be bumped up a bit as we should have the best single target CC in the game and we really don't.

Warlock- DoT coefficients need to be increased otherwise a good primary/secondary tree. Maybe lower Shadow Life and Neddra's Essence to 2 minutes to be on par with other classes survivability cooldown times. Some form of dispel protection would be nice too.

Necro- Consumption feated(Greater Consumption) should eat an additional buff for each point invested instead of higher % of mana returned.

Dispel protection/make some of the necro debuffs(Essence Link/Looming Demise) undispellable or have some form of recourse for dispelling.

Pets die pretty quick even with Master Chirurgeon added survivability would go a long way to make Necro much better for PvP.

SC- Cloudburst still does meh damage even after setting up the proper debuffs. Another bump to Cloudburst damage would give SC some form of single target damage. Otherwise a pretty strong tree overall.

Ele- Lots of secondary goodies in this tree not sure what you could do besides a total revamp to make it good as a primary soul for PvP.

Chloro- Fine how it is.

Archon- Fine how it is.

Pyromancer- A bit too good. Decrease damage reduc from GoS 30% to 10% and the added offensive dispels should make them a lot easier to deal with.
    "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."
    Albert Einstein
    Ovgan<FUN> Sunrest

Quote Originally Posted by Krazybojangles View Post
    Pyromancer- A bit too good. Decrease damage reduc from GoS 30% to 10% and the added offensive dispels should make them a lot easier to deal with.
    There are trade offs to be made. Pyromancers sacrifice mobility to do what they do best and they still do not live that long when focused. Damage reduction is fine at 30% because there will be 2 or more melee charging in (plus a caster or two to trade fireballs with) to neutralize the very real threat with a low health pool.

Come on, we all know it is funny to watch two pyros trading nukes in a warfront!

That being said, Chloro is my favorite warfront spec. Nothing like making the damage dealers a bit harder to kill and deal a spot of damage at the same time to make a battle fun.
    Last edited by Charnyr; 04-03-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charnyr View Post
    There are trade offs to be made. Pyromancers sacrifice mobility to do what they do best and they still do not live that long when focused. Damage reduction is fine at 30% because there will be 2 or more melee charging in (plus a caster or two to trade fireballs with) to neutralize the very real threat with a low health pool.

Come on, we all know it is funny to watch two pyros trading nukes in a warfront!

That being said, Chloro is my favorite warfront spec. Nothing like making the damage dealers a bit harder to kill and deal a spot of damage at the same time to make a battle fun.
    With the new shield mobility isn't so much an issue. Burning Shield, Flickr, drop GoS again. Profit.
    "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."
    Albert Einstein
    Ovgan<FUN> Sunrest

With the new shield mobility isn't so much an issue. Burning Shield, Flickr, drop GoS again. Profit.
    it actually gives them a bit of survivability which everyone knows was seriously lacking pre 1.1. No point in being a glass cannon when they are stunned then dead in 2-3 globals as happened quite often.

My own opinion, I think everyone is in a pretty good place right now. I understand warriors being upset, but they were a bit OP. They got used to that indomitable power and it will take some time for them to adjust. The uproar is already settling and in a few more weeks there may be very few complaints as they adjust to their new mortality and figure a new playstyle to maximize their functionality.

The beauty of Rift is having 9 souls to pick and choose from. The options are nearly limitless.

Soulwalker

No a class spec that can 2 or 3 shot even tanks is op and needs a nerf. Get one pocket healer on that pyro and it's GG for the whole other team.
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

Quote Originally Posted by Merdyr View Post
    No a class spec that can 2 or 3 shot even tanks is op and needs a nerf. Get one pocket healer on that pyro and it's GG for the whole other team.
    That is way overdramatic. Drain a pyros mana and they're useless a warrior with a healer is much more effective as they have infinite resources to deal out damage/cc.
    Albert Einstein
    Ovgan<FUN> Sunrest

Soulwalker

I predict mage tears in the near future. Salty goodness!

That is way overdramatic. Drain a pyros mana and they're useless a warrior with a healer is much more effective as they have infinite resources to deal out damage/cc.
    a good combination of bard/mana pots could do very similar things for the Mage.
    Altimus - 50 Cleric of Faemist - <No Fat Kids> - We are Recruiting!

Quote Originally Posted by Hataali View Post
    I predict extreme disappointment in your near and distant future. More tears please, they taste like whine.
    There are no truly OP callings, only truly UP players.

Soulwalker

Add Magic Resist to PvP armor set, effective only from other Players' skills...and everybody is happy (not touching PvE world, and making PvP set useful).

Rift Disciple

In my honest opinion I don't like GoS at all... I find it absolutely retarted that I have to stand in this tiny *** circle the entire time... it straight up just takes no skill and isn't fun, plus its annoying as hell when your trying to cast and the melee just runs right through you...fun times lol

but in all honesty I actually say take it out and replace it with something else... The entire point about being a skilled mage is actually using your skills to get out of situations, not stand in a tiny circle and be invincible until you die... its just not fun

thats just my 2 cents anyways

Telaran

Yeah "OVER DRAMATIC".....

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6...0405033733.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Layuth; 04-05-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hataali View Post
    So do I. Not because I think they are THAT far from balanced (like the OP said, a major issue is GoS needs toned down and the 50% damage from Transmogrify needs to be revamped). I do think they need fixes, but I think that should take the form of tweaks to GoS and their burst potential (preferably without hurting overall DPS too much for PvE). The reason I predict tears is because nearly every MMO developer grabs a nerf hammer every patch rather than strategically using the nerf chisel. I predict huge changes that will take a class that is OP and make them worthless. Maybe Trion will prove me wrong. But I've seen it from too many studios in the past to expect anything else.
    Quiana, 50 Mage 300 Runecrafting, 300 Outfitting
    <Tempest Wolves>

+ Reply to Thread