Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why Rift made me apperciate WoW PVP

Default Why Rift made me apperciate WoW PVP

In every way WoW pvp is superior to Rift. Why? Because Rift copied everything that is bad about WoW pvp, and improved nothing.

(disclaimer: the pvp soul tree seems oddly placed, it's like the one team that worked on the pvp soul knew what they were doing)

In WoW, if you stepped into Arena/Battlegrounds or even dueling in the top PVE gear, you were mostly likely going to get your *** handed to you skill being equal.

In WoW pvp'ers NEVER had to pve. With the introduction of Tol Barad, you could just go out and create world pvp by claiming a questing area, and unless your opponents were proper pvp'ers they generally did not stand a chance.

In Rift, you PVE to PVP. What sense does that make? The only difference I see between myself and relatively equally skilled pvp'ers is the fact that I make hella use of my pvp soul, yet there are many who don't use their pvp soul, and don't use their pvp gear ,and are just as succesful in pvp, if not more successful.

My guild is a guild of pvp'ers. The top PVE guild on our server cleared greenscale and in their t2/3s are more succesful in pvp because of their pve gear.

The best items and trinkets all come from pve. The most effective pvp'ers rarely have to use their pvp soul, because it doesn't make that much of a difference.

While I know Hartsman has said there is a pvp team at Trion, they aren't pvpers. And I want Trion to know this isn't a question, we aren't asking you their credentials, it's evident to any one who has seriously pvp'ed in any MMO, that the PVP team at Trion are not PVP'ers or the people in charge of them have no idea how to implement pvp whatsoever in Rift.

Trion needs to hire new people for pvp. They need to hire actual pvp'ers. Or even get some beta testers and pull people from the Rift community who actually want Rift to succeed, and have a pvp side that is on par with it's pve side.

Hartsman, Gersh, your pvp team is amazingly fail. You need new people, we the community of pvp'ers want to help you, but you need to get people from your PVP team replaced, or at least talking to the community so we can fix them. They are going to ruin your mmo if you let the pvp team continue down this track they are on.

And I'm not even talking about class balance, cause I think that's relatively fine, I'm talking about the recent guard changes, the fact that pvp soul and pvp gear does not dominate every single pve spec. I'm talking about the fact there is no real world pvp objective.

Please listen to the few remaining pvp'ers in your game. I feel like an endangered specie fighting for my life, and it is in my pvp nature that I will fight, until there is nothing left to fight for.

And in closing, I want to point out, people who love the pvp in a game, will stay loyal for ever. As evidenced by WoW, and DAOC. People get bored of the PVE and move on, but PVP loyalty is stronger than any other.

Honestly, I like this pvp more than WoW's current one. I actually feel like I can do whatever I want during the day and still get to enjoy some quality pvp when my friends come on.

Whereas in wow, if I don't get in my arena games for the week and spend 400 hours farming my honor gear, ill never get be able to even survive more than 2 min.

I'm not saying RIFT pvp is perfect, but it is definitely NOT a fail. Just another variety.

P.S. imo, the only true pvp games are those with zero pve, otherwise they will both affect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstitch View Post
    In WoW pvp'ers NEVER had to pve.
    Very untrue in vanilla wow, where you had to raid to get gear to destroy in pvp.

did you just imply Tol Barad is good in any way?

|: Zapafaz - 5x Mage :| |: Kethirus - 50 Cleric :| |: Zahrivesi - Levelling Rogue :| |: Feynara - 2x Warrior :|

- Faeblight ◊ Bahmi -

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrels122 View Post
    Honestly, I like this pvp more than WoW's current one. I actually feel like I can do whatever I want during the day and still get to enjoy some quality pvp when my friends come on.

Whereas in wow, if I don't get in my arena games for the week and spend 400 hours farming my honor gear, ill never get be able to even survive more than 2 min.

I'm not saying RIFT pvp is perfect, but it is definitely NOT a fail. Just another variety.

P.S. imo, the only true pvp games are those with zero pve, otherwise they will both affect each other.
    I don't feel that either got it right. Warftonts/Battlegrounds are just not very fun over the long haul. You want to keep the most people possible interested in PvP? Offer some world objectives & rewards for doing it like DAoC did. It doesn't have to be a mirror image of DAoC but something which brings more people into the fun of PvP & offers rewards for doing so.

Also, your PvP soul tree should be populated by points you earn from PvP if you want to really make it useful. So then there really IS a tangible award for spending time in PvP. A person can skill up 2 souls as you normally would (using 65 points) then skill up their PvP soul based on points they earn from PvP. I know that Trion won't try this because they are trying to equalize things for PvP as much as possible (much like WoW did) but if you don't reward people in a tangible way for PvP they probably won't spend much time doing it. They will look for games that get it.

In WoW, if you stepped into Arena/Battlegrounds or even dueling in the top PVE gear, you were mostly likely going to get your *** handed to you skill being equal.

Not those of us who knew what we were doing, in fact I would solely PVP in PVE gear as a destro warlock for insane burst pre-wotlk.

In WoW pvp'ers NEVER had to pve. With the introduction of Tol Barad, you could just go out and create world pvp by claiming a questing area, and unless your opponents were proper pvp'ers they generally did not stand a chance.

We did in Vanilla if you wanted better than t2 quality gear.

In Rift, you PVE to PVP. What sense does that make? The only difference I see between myself and relatively equally skilled pvp'ers is the fact that I make hella use of my pvp soul, yet there are many who don't use their pvp soul, and don't use their pvp gear ,and are just as succesful in pvp, if not more successful.

What you said didn't make sense. Needs clarification.

My guild is a guild of pvp'ers. The top PVE guild on our server cleared greenscale and in their t2/3s are more succesful in pvp because of their pve gear.

No, that's because they know how to play better than you, come on.

The rest I either agree with you on or have no opinion. G'day!
    PVPimpin' Ain't PVEasy!

Holla Holla Get Dolla

Ascendant

the fact that pvp soul and pvp gear does not dominate every single pve spec
    So basically, OP is complaining that he doesn't get to win automatically just because he grinds warfronts more than other people do, regardless of skill level.

Yeah, that sounds about right for MMO PvP.

i agree with the OP, pvp in this game right now is a joke, warfronts are terrible, people are just grinding them for points, and world pvp thanks to the latest stealth nerf (adding stealth guards everywhere on PVP servers) is non existent.

i am not resubscribing, tera, archeage, gw2, swtor let's hope one of you manage to get pvp right.

Plane Touched

First, let me state that comparing RIFT's gameplay to any other MMO is asinine, as there is a large portion of the playerbase that never touched said MMO. I never played WoW, so by comparing aspects of RIFT to WoW all you begin to sound like is a whining fanboy. Use concrete examples (from RIFT) and follow them up with corresponding potential fixes. From reading your wall of grammatically and orthographically incorrect text, I gather that you're unhappy with the current division between PvE and PvP being too supple. Ok, how do you propose Trion fixes it? Fire an entire division of their development team because they're not doing what you want them to do? Conceited much? Opinions with suggestions are FAR more constructive than general complaining.

Your thread isn't constructive; it's about pointing fingers and complaining.

Plane Touched

Pretty sure Rogues have almost always needed the best PVE weapons for Arena. Rifts WFs are similar to WOWs but, I think The Black garden is better than atleast 3 of WOW's BGs.

Telaran

Plain and simple Rift copied WoW pvp and it is perhaps the biggest mistake they have made. WoW pvp is/was/always will be garbage. Queued battlegrounds is bad. If Rift hopes to survive they NEED a DAoC type open RvR area where people could care less about people botting and afk. No need to depend on some bad players for your pvp gear. Do as you wish when you wish, that is how it should be.

Please Trion, dump the current garbage and make REAL pvp, DAoC style!

Soulwalker

WoW PvP is indeed perfect; just look at all the praise and appreciation it gets on the WoW PvP forum(s)!
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/874705/
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011697/
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011696/

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Layuth View Post
    Plain and simple Rift copied WoW pvp and it is perhaps the biggest mistake they have made. WoW pvp is/was/always will be garbage. Queued battlegrounds is bad. If Rift hopes to survive they NEED a DAoC type open RvR area where people could care less about people botting and afk. No need to depend on some bad players for your pvp gear. Do as you wish when you wish, that is how it should be.

Please Trion, dump the current garbage and make REAL pvp, DAoC style!
    Let me restate: Most of us have no friggin clue as to what you're spewing out of your mouth when you're screeching "PLEASE MAKE RIFT MORE LIKE GAME XYZ". Use concrete examples, otherwise take your nonconstructive tripe out of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Magipants View Post
    Let me restate: Most of us have no friggin clue as to what you're spewing out of your mouth when you're screeching "PLEASE MAKE RIFT MORE LIKE GAME XYZ". Use concrete examples, otherwise take your nonconstructive tripe out of the forums.
    I think what they are trying to say is:

"Please change this game so it matches my nostalgia-laced memories of xyz other game"
    |: Zapafaz - 5x Mage :| |: Kethirus - 50 Cleric :| |: Zahrivesi - Levelling Rogue :| |: Feynara - 2x Warrior :|

- Faeblight ◊ Bahmi -

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Magipants View Post
    Perhaps your reading capabilities are very low but I will try to make it easier for you.

1) PvP when you want is better than having to queue and wait.
    2) No need to worry about bots and afkers.
    3) Gain pvp gear according to what you do instead of what bad players you get grouped with do.

Shall I go on or shall I get the crayons out and draw pictures for you?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast