+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NOTE TO TRION - Proposal on how to deal with AFKers

Rift Disciple

Default NOTE TO TRION - Proposal on how to deal with AFKers

Just like in RL, punishment needs to be swift, certain and it should be severe enough that it deters people from wanting to recommit a wrong.

The problem is it isn't swift and certain. People know people who they reported days ago but yet POOF there they are AFK right next to you. And the level of severity? I'm not sure on that as I actually run out and play in WFs, not just stand and screw my team! I am not bashing Trion here. I understand the game is new and this issue and any others could be a patch away from being yesterdays new. Yet being new means you have to convince people to stay and I hear some everyday saying they are done if X doesn't happen by [expected time frame].Yet for those of you who love Rift like I do and want to help out any way they can, read on.

SNIFFING OUT THE AFKERS BEHIND THE SCENES
    Trion, you guys obviously have a ton of math being processed in the game every second - the scoreboard proves you track what each player does in a WF. Here is my suggestion on how this can be used to maybe sniff out AFKers:

You already track a players damage and healing numbers. Why not add to your data gathering pool a players change in position over time (have they moved, and if so how far and how much over time). Open the map and bam there is your coordinates. So I know you track WHERE a person is at all times. Why not take a sample of that every few seconds in WFs, Maybe everytime someone stops, you record the coordinates. Over time the coordinates can be used to calculate distance. Time stamp those suckers and bam, you can see who is standing in one place and who is moving around the map, and how much of the map over time.

Now take each players distance over time calculations and compare them with his/her damage/healing and you can see who is playing the game (moving around and putting up numbers in heals/dps) and who is not (low motion scores couples with low damage/healing). If you are low enough, you get a warning. If the score shows little to no change over the next 30 seconds = BAM automatic debuffs on, and if consistant AFKing is evident, then implement an outright boot and ban from server with email warning. Be proactive, forcing AFKers to change their ways automatically with scripts like this instead of having to be reactive and waste your time chasing AFKers giving more time for bug fixes, more important tech. support issues, contant updates, etc.

TEMPORARY IN GAME FINE, REMOVAL OF FEATURES, AND/OR DEBUFF SYSTEM
    I even think MMO devs. should be able to fine these idiots. Really simple, Trion owns the game and all rights to it. You go afk, BAM your stats drop 50% for 24 hours and everything in the game costs 300% more. Can't use AH, can't bank, can't use mail, and your XP is cut by 80%. Just examples but they key is if they want to negatively effect the game for others around them, then the devs. should have every right to reflect it back on those causing the issues.

This is just a suggestion. I'm no programmer (on chapter 2 in Teach Yourself Java = NOOB!) but I'm almost certain what I proposed here, or something very similar is feasible. Any other ideas are welcome, but lets all try to address our issues professionally here as it is intended to be, as stated in the title. a proposal to Trion.
    Last edited by Salvitor; 03-31-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Rift Disciple

They just need to make it bad enough that people also do not /afk out on purpose. Lock em outta pvp for 24 hours so you cant just farm for a winning team and not even make an effort.

And people who complain about being wrongly punished - sorry that happens in every social situation where rules must be imposed because others are not honest. You lose freedoms. If you are just going to wander around aimlessly or guard a flag where there is no action you may get reported. The alternative is we are stuck with AFKers. So get out and do something in your matches.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Salvitor View Post
    So I know you track WHERE a person is at all times. Why not take a sample of that every few seconds in WFs, Maybe everytime someone stops, you record the coordinates. Over time the coordinates can be used to calculate distance. Time stamp those suckers and bam, you can see who is standing in one place and who is moving around the map, and how much of the map over time.
    I like the general principle. In our battle group on Defiant side we can count on at least one player from Regulos being AFK. Some of them were reported two or three or four days ago and they're still there - AFK leeching Favor and whatnot.

However, given that in some maps there are defensive players who will hold at an objective (And rarely see the rest of the map) I'd not factor distance travelled into the equation. Your idea of tracking damage and healing and contribution is much better. You would need to factor it as a percentage of time in the match though as it does sometimes happen that you sign up, get into a WF and find yourself in a game about to finish. My favourite was porting in and not even being able to get off the launch pad before the match ended.

(Bad edges on the match-making algorithm ,but anyway)

Either way, the punishment for a genuine AFK leech needs to be swift and severe.

This is all out of order.

It is an mmorpg .. communities should police the game not some "God" policing it for us.

You want Wfs with no afk ... put some effort in and create premades and petition for premade features.

AFK is not some player doing something in a bg however little that something is and yet you call for those players to be banned etc. there are plenty of players that play so badly or so selfishly with no regard for the objectives of the bg they might as well be afk. Why is that "fair" Why is it fair to have more players starting the game on one side and not the other ?

Ban players that need on items that their class cannot use. Needing on gear like this is clearly scamming your fellow team mates.

The current afk system appears to boot players completing bg quests in port sion or those running stones. How is that sensible or fair ?
    Last edited by Forkwit; 04-02-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Rift Disciple

No my solution makes perfect sense. The game is a system, and as such works in a certain way. That way is participation, plain and simple. The outcome for a whole team could be pushed one way or the other by the actions of just one. Thus people joining and doing nothing gimps the team. Should a whole team have to pay for it?

As for your suggestion on premades, yes that is the way to go. However, it isn't as simple as posting in chat a calling for premade via LFM or LFG. Just like posting these for PvE content, very few respond. IMO there aren't enough actual pvp focused players, even on a PvP server. Everyone is trying to get quests dont if not running a dungeon. Thus PvP is screwed up. Gone are the great pvp days of Shadowbane. PvP had a purpose then, wasn't just package up in an instance. Now its just AFKers in WFs and random ganking idiots in the world.
    Last edited by Salvitor; 04-21-2011 at 02:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread