+ Reply to Thread

Thread: C'mon...what did you expect?!

Shadowlander

Default C'mon...what did you expect?!

I want to know if anyone HONESTLY expected RIFT PvP to be a refreshing breath of air in the MMO world. I'm kicking myself in the rear for that thought. I should have seen it coming. No ladder system, terrible imbalance in the damage of abilities (sometimes classes as a whole), etc etc. Spend my 60 bucks on something better than candies and sodas Trion.

Ascendant

It never ceases to amuse me how people came into a game that advertised, up-front, first and foremost, its PvE features (Rifts and invasions), and were then shocked to find that it's not a PvP-centric game.

Look at the back of the retail box. Paragraphs about the class system and the dynamic PvE stuff. PvP gets a two-word "oh, we have this too" mention as literally the last item in the feature blurb.

Why did people expect DAoC out of this?

Shadowlander

It's a good question you ask, I don't know why I expected it really. I looked at the soul trees, saw awesome pvp abilities, saw the talk of pvp, hell they even had a somewhat pvp based trailer on the site. Guess I convinced myself that rump roast was filet mignon (pvp wise)

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    good question, there are only 2 fractions after all.. like in WH, Rift RvR would fail
    a successful RvR need 3 sides for constant action and unpredictable factor, /clap DAoC

Shadowlander

I actually never played DAoC...does it still exist?! All I ever hear is people talking about how good its pvp is.

Shadowlander

While I will not argue about DAoC being good I think nostalgia is a powerful sentiment.

Agree on that. DAoC was a great game, but there are better options today.
    Last edited by Delimeat567; 03-22-2011 at 07:43 PM.
    [Insert witty comment here, followed by chuckles and admiration for me.]

Quote Originally Posted by Delimeat567 View Post
    Agree on that. DAoC was a great game, but there are better options today.
    What would be the better options ? They maintain DAoC, it has a small - yet steady population, and is still able to be enjoyed by everyone. They have however streamlined most of the game at this point to get you to the end game, and then most people aren't quite adept at making templates to compete in. Although it is definitely worth a try.

No instanced PvP at all...quite quite amazing.

There is a reason the playerbase to this day is still so loyal, and it sure isn't nostalgia - it's the fact it still is the best PvP game to date.

Other than Shadowbane, which unfortunately wasn't able to maintain itself.

Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck7011 View Post
    I want to know if anyone HONESTLY expected RIFT PvP to be a refreshing breath of air in the MMO world. I'm kicking myself in the rear for that thought. I should have seen it coming. No ladder system, terrible imbalance in the damage of abilities (sometimes classes as a whole), etc etc. Spend my 60 bucks on something better than candies and sodas Trion.
    Ladder systems are a breath of air (I think you mean fresh air btw)? More like dumbing down a complex system, turning it into arcade mode boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    Because it had great potential to reintroduce some meaningful, fun world PvP back into the genre. Not only potential, but effort which ended up luring a lot of us in. That effort? An entire zone is already in the game, Port Scion is there, they just chose to instance it either because they did not have time to finish the non-instanced version, or for some other reason. Do you want more? Upon hearing the cries of "Moar pew pew pliz" they introduced an entirely new type of content to the game during the beta, Ancient Wardstones. That concept then got completely abandoned at level 35 where as it could've done much for this game had they kept it at 50.

Not that I actually expected DAoC, or anything but a complete failure. Even with a superb performance by Trion during beta I'm still enough of a bittervet that I expected a complete failure at release
    Last edited by Sensational; 03-22-2011 at 07:54 PM.

http://SVentures.guildpower.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fuinir View Post
    Meat shield/meat lance. Meat jousting? Come find out who has the better meat! Lance against Lance!

Soulwalker

Default i agree

i came with no expectations BUT that said i NOW believe they should not put in something in the game which they have no intention or interest in releasing as POLISHED feature......

i can digest wow pvp , hell i have played lotro like games for pvp BUT the pvp here is a JOKE

i m only 44 but i m getting 3 shotted by classes in all WF's and i have tried combo's of bard/rift (max survivability and healing) sab/rift , max dmg , sab/ranger or sab /mm you name it and yes of course with the pvp soul as well

but since i got 2 40 ..its been a non stop fest of stuns' silence and CC and the other player can take most of the hp out in that duration of his CC

in terms of wow , its like Wf's are full of old school rogues , who stun lock you from 100-0........

all i can say in the end is , FOR ME this game is getting over fast .......i will stick around for 1 or 2 months max and i really pray they do something with the pvp

P.s. and REMOVE CROSS FACTIONAL CHAT in pvp , this will ONLY have a negative effect on the overall game population.
    Last edited by zeroseven; 03-22-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: typo, i m half asleep

Banned

Here is what happens:3

Take WoW people who think they know what pvp is and stick them in the same game with Darkfall/AoC/Aion players. QQ is constantly going to be here.
    Last edited by Puremallace; 03-22-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by zeroseven View Post
    i m only 44 but i m getting 3 shotted by classes in all WF's and i have tried combo's of bard/rift (max survivability and healing) sab/rift , max dmg , sab/ranger or sab /mm you name it and yes of course with the pvp soul as well

P.s. and REMOVE CROSS FACTIONAL CHAT in pvp , this will ONLY have a negative effect on the overall game population.
    Really? A Sab that can put almost anyone into a dirt nap is complaining about dirt naps? I play a sab and it is fun. I love 1-2 shotting people, but to expect to be able to survive against others doing the same thing?

Also sounds like someone talked trash and it got to you. Fun stuff there!

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post

Take WoW people who think they know what pvp is and stick them in the same game with Darkfall/AoC/Aion players. QQ is constantly going to be here.
    I had to lol at this, if they played darkfall for a week they would be buying new keyboards and mice!

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post

And even then, those same gamers have no idea what PvP really is unless they have played DAoC, or even Shadowbane for its short existence.

Prophet of Telara

The whining in these sub forums really is insanely high. Must you all post a new thread with your own little problems? I can understand now why riftgame didn't have pvp/warfronts sub forums so early in release. Over Beta there wasn't close to the amount of crying. Scroll back a few pages and you may actually learn some things from worthwhile contributors.

+ Reply to Thread