+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why are Mages crying?

Soulwalker

so I figured this would be an interesting discussion but after reading most of the posts all i got was ,

Mages, whine about not being able to kill every class one vs. one all the time, complain that they cant do high aoe damage as well as high single damage at the same time as having great defense.

From what i have seen, no class can have their cake and eat it too.

Mages can be very annoying in group pvp by slowing/aoe/fear/stupid squirrel/high single hit damage. All of these are effective in pvp but you cant do them all at once. If you could why would anyone roll any other char?

A mage is a cloth wearing wanker that typically hits from range and stays out of the fray, ofcourse they should get facerolled if a rouge or a warrior gets in melee range, they should melt like butter in a hot oven.

But that doesnt mean they are weak, it means everything is all right. Like every class there are great players and bad players, Im sure that the great players would rather spend their time in game rather then trying to tell the complainers that they are doing it wrong. Atleast the majority of them.

No, pyro is the only real worthy soul, the rest are semi useful, or not useful.

And from above thread, it might be annoying, but hey, fear gets broken in no time, so does squirrel, and high single hit damage? - Compare it to other classes, and for a laugh dont take pyro from the mage calling.
    Last edited by Lyzaa; 03-22-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by wllstrt75 View Post
    Mages, whine about not being able to kill every class one vs. one all the time, complain that they cant do high aoe damage as well as high single damage at the same time as having great defense.

A mage is a cloth wearing wanker that typically hits from range and stays out of the fray, ofcourse they should get facerolled if a rouge or a warrior gets in melee range, they should melt like butter in a hot oven.
    Perhaps I'm looking at this thread with rose-tinted glasses, being a mage, but no-one was saying that mages should always win 1v1 that I saw.

The issue is that in most cases, for most souls, its not generally possible to take down a warrior or rogue before they close to melee and once they do you're virtually a guaranteed corpse. If that is the inteded situation, and I can see why it might be, mages do need to have something else up their sleeve - in this game, its a wide variety of CC (generally speaking) which is kinda nice, but I'd personally be happy to see it nerfed or removed in exchange for having the damage on key abilities increased somewhat.

My own view might be biased because I tend to come across champions and sabs most, who are ludicrously effective at splattering cloth targets. But in my spec, I really have to rely on other people's support in order to achieve a kill in any meaningful timeframe. Not every other class / soul combo is under the same constraints (particularly versus mages like me), hence why I personally feel the balance is a bit off.

Not totally out of kilter by any stretch, but not perfectly balanced IMO.
    Last edited by Kanthric; 03-22-2011 at 07:12 AM.

Shadowlander

QUOTE=Kelqor;1791421]You haven't seen a good mage, doesn't mean mage can't be good. Cinder burst does 1.8k dmg non crit. I have a screen shot to show. This is on top of 7% valor dps reduction.

Now, add 50% dmg increase if they use instant cast squirrel as debuff, and another 50% crit dmg on top of that if he's lucky, follow up with another squirrel after the cinder burst. Tell me how to can counter that. It all starts with an insta cast.

mage under power my @$$.[/QUOTE]

When I was doing Warfronts in my 20s I used to get CC locked to death by one mage and couldn't do anything but watch myself die. Doesn't really happen anymore to many warriors now just spaming flamespear thinking they have leet skillz. I'm a melee rogue BTW.

Soulwalker

There's no point in trying to argue that pyro isn't OP, because it obviously is. If any ranged character in any game ever made had Ground of Strength, it'd be OP. The bottom line is that GoS is broken, and mages are sub par across the entire board after that.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Aphotix View Post
    There's no point in trying to argue that pyro isn't OP, because it obviously is. If any ranged character in any game ever made had Ground of Strength, it'd be OP. The bottom line is that GoS is broken, and mages are sub par across the entire board after that.
    GoS make them appear OP, but in reality they are far from it. I won't deny that as long as no one try to take us down (or we have a good healer on our @**) pyros are extremely deadly, but just that wind spell that knockback opponent screw us big time, and there are other way to doom us: Mana drain, dispell, two warrior hitting our face (30% damage reduction doesn't make us unkillable, and while some pyros are lucky as hell and can stunlock their opponent with GoS, sometimes we can't have a single freekin' stun in 15 cast). And the worst one, having to move (generally thanks to the LoS) is like writing our last will.
    Last edited by Sartek; 03-22-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sartek View Post
    GoS make them appear OP, but in reality they are far from it. I won't deny that as long as no one try to take us down (or we have a good healer on our @**) pyros are extremely deadly, but just that wind spell that knockback opponent screw us big time, and there are other way to doom us: Mana drain, dispell, two warrior hitting our face (30% damage reduction doesn't make us unkillable, and while some pyros are lucky as hell and can stunlock their opponent with GoS, sometimes we can't have a single freekin' stun in 15 cast). And the worst one, having to move (generally thanks to the LoS) is like writing our last will.
    I do agree that even with GoS, they are reasonably squishy due to the lowest health pools in the game and a laughable amount of armor. However, pyro can beat just about anything 1v1 (excluding insanely long cds like pally heal). Due to their AoE, low cd CC, and decent mitigation with GoS, they are also very strong with support.

I've said it about warriors, and I'll say it about pyros; If a class is top dog 1v1 AND also the best with support, it is overpowered. I will resub to this game in a heartbeat if they tone down warriors and pyros.

Prophet of Telara

Remove the 30% less damage from GoS fixes it?

Remove Detaunt 50% less damage and anything else even if only 7 seconds that lowers damage on a cloth wearer, makes sense to me. The stun doesn't make the mage hard to kill it's these OP damage reductions........................................ ...................

Ascendant

<facepalm> ye cos 30% reduction in a tiny area is soooo huge as it 7s of 80%.. i mean its not like rogue has a similar... oh wait they do. and its not like warrs have double our health more armour and more dps.. oh wait they do. Seriously is this the warrs new plan? they are going to whine and whine that 1 soul has 1 alright skill and thus mages are completely OP and trion should nerf them and not the completely balanced Warrs.

I hope trion aren't stupid enough to fall for this crap

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Detill5869 View Post
    Remove the 30% less damage from GoS fixes it?

Remove Detaunt 50% less damage and anything else even if only 7 seconds that lowers damage on a cloth wearer, makes sense to me. The stun doesn't make the mage hard to kill it's these OP damage reductions........................................ ...................
    The damage reduction is nowhere even close to being as good as permanent CC immunity. Really I think GoS could be balanced if it lasted 5 or so seconds, had a 15-30 second CD, and the stun component was removed.

Also, there's just about no way that this would ruin PvE (unless there were raid bosses who use conventional CC which pyros would be immune to), so I think that Trion should just listen to me, because I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Ary

Quote Originally Posted by Lyzaa View Post
    No, pyro is the only real worthy soul, the rest are semi useful, or not useful.

And from above thread, it might be annoying, but hey, fear gets broken in no time, so does squirrel, and high single hit damage? - Compare it to other classes, and for a laugh dont take pyro from the mage calling.
    Rofl. Pyro is the lowest utility, just because the Ground thingie makes the mage pr0. No ground = BS. U can pre silence, u can dispell, and u can cage, u can pull them out. Stationary mage with no CC but just spam fireball, theres milions ways to avoid that, sure its nice dmg, just because people dont use proper stuff on them.
    Ary < WeaKSauCe > 50th level High Elf Mage Stormcaller -- Rank 6 -- Guardian Cloudborne
    Hotdog < WeaKSauCe > 50th level Mathosian Rogue Bard -- Rank I own -- Guardian Cloudborne

Rift Disciple

So...in summary, pyro has some OP elements, Dominator has some OP elements, outside of that mages seem a little bit underpowered in general compared to the 'best' other DPS souls (which may be that those souls are overpowered)?

Or is that a wee bit over-simplistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanthric View Post
    So...in summary, pyro has some OP elements, Dominator has some OP elements, outside of that mages seem a little bit underpowered in general compared to the 'best' other DPS souls (which may be that those souls are overpowered)?

Or is that a wee bit over-simplistic.
    Dead on.

It is the same with Warriors and Rogues. They each have a couple of OP souls that need to be tweaked.

I am still waiting for someone to find the OP cleric build that lets them hit for 4k every minute.

Ascendant

now.. its not like that. Mages have 1 OP skill in 1 soul and the rest are utter crap, while warrs have a TON of OP skills in almost every soul and are gods

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kalvix View Post
    now.. its not like that. Mages have 1 OP skill in 1 soul and the rest are utter crap, while warrs have a TON of OP skills in almost every soul and are gods
    To a lesser extent, this guy is more accurate than the guy a few posts above.

Saying that "mage" is as op as "warrior" is really quite funny. I can think of no less than 8 warrior builds which are insanely OP, while i can only think of 2 on mage. And to clarify, I'm concidering VK op as hell. Being a superhero against half of the classes in the game, while still tanking the other half is really fair.
    Last edited by Aphotix; 03-22-2011 at 11:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast