+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: I wish Trion would come out and say Rift is a pve focused game.

Default I wish Trion would come out and say Rift is a pve focused game.

We have way too many pvpers expecting Rift to be on the level of DAoC, WAR or Aion when it comes to pvp. Those are pvp focused games.

We need Trion developers to get on the forums and tell everyone that this is a pve focused game, with the option to pvp. That Rift will never be completely balanced for pvp, that pvp will never be as meaningful here as it is in those other games.

Just come out and declare Rift pve focused and then people will ****.
    I know anyone with common sense already knows Rift is a pve, dungeon/raid progression game but for those clueless few. Who happen to be the loudest on these forums.

They need clarification. Please.
    Last edited by Rockgod99; 03-18-2011 at 03:57 AM.

Rift Disciple

I don't expect Trion to ever say that publically. Because it will upset the pvp-kiddies. And thus it will make them lose subscriptions.

But I don't understand pvp-ers. It is very obvious that an RPG-type of game is not suited for pvp. There are several reasons.

1) MMORPGs are based on a cycle of play the game -> rewards -> stronger character -> more play the game. The more you play, the stronger your character gets. That is kind of the goal in an RPG. But that is not fun for pvp. For pvp, you want everybody to be at the same strength and ability level. Otherwise it is not fair and not fun for half of your playerbase. You can promise them that if they keep playing, and keep getting their arses kicked by players with better gear, they will get better gear in the end too. This is never true, they will always be behind. Once they realize this, the bottom-half of pvp-players will become bitter and leave the game.
    Last edited by Gryz; 03-18-2011 at 04:03 AM.

RIFT is PvE oriented more than PvP at this moment, but you never know what the future brings. Having the PvP souls could be a hint from a bigger picture for PvP.
    Bloodiron EU PvP - Defiant
    Franklynot
    Northern Vanguard

I don't expect Trion to ever say that publically. Because it isn't so.

Why can't they have both? Keep the pve content and add more meaningful pvp content on top of it. Satisfy both groups.
    Understanding the Sab
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...b-is-wild-card

50 Assassin/Riftstalker/Infiltrator
    Prestige 3

Rift Disciple

[Can't edit my post after a minute. Not fun.]

2) In a RPG you want diversity. In a pvp-game, you want everybody to have equal chances. That bites. If they pvp-ers get what they want, then basically all classes will be the same. With the same dps and the same survivability, the same stuns, the same charge/jump/shadowsteps, the same crowdcontrol. Because even if classes would be balanced, there will be situations where one class has the advantage over other classes. This will make pvp-ers cry for nerfs. They will keep crying no matter what, until all classes have the same abilities, only with different names and animations.

3) Did you ever play an FPS clanmatch ? The match will always start with negotiations about server choice. Because ping matters. I am convinced that in a MMORPG, ping matters too. But it might be slightly less obvious. Because the servers are in a fixed location. So most players never experienced their game and character at high ping and low ping. So they can't compare. But even in a MMORPG, reaction times are important. But you can't select a server that is fair for both parties. This makes MMORPGs not fit for pvp.

I just don't understand why pvp-ers don't go play an FPS game. "Skill" is a whole set of abilties of players. Aim, movement, reaction times, strategy. You can't test aim and movement in an MMORPG. I wish pvp-ers would go play an FPS, in stead of crying and asking for RPG-style games to be completely nerfed into a boring mix of exactly the same classes.
    Last edited by Gryz; 03-18-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alucardr View Post
    Why can't they have both? Keep the pve content and add more meaningful pvp content on top of it. Satisfy both groups.
    Maybe they could have if the game was planned that way at the start.
    You could clearly see that rift is a pve focused game just by looking at it's features.
    Pvp is nothing but a warfront farm with some gear vendors and a ruleset server.

Clearly it's a mechanic designed as something to keep people busy when they aren't progressing through hardmodes or raids.

I don't have a crystal ball however and who knows one day rift could be more of a pvp game but as it stands right now it's very much a pve progression based game with pvp as an afterthought.

Plane Touched

Why would they bother to say something that's blatantly obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    I don't expect Trion to ever say that publically. Because it will upset the pvp-kiddies. And thus it will make them lose subscriptions.
    Really, with the name-calling? Rift is big enough for both PvP and PvE focuses. We can all get along, if we try.

Quote Originally Posted by htoncic View Post
    They,its now apparent, were very vague about pvp during beta for a reason. There,s not pvp in this game beyond some poor scenarios and world ganking... But the impression they gave us ie hype ,was that theres much more to it. The moment they asked community if we wanted world pvp , was the moment i was sure that the game wont last beyond first 30 days for me
    I'm Charlie Sheen and I'm a Warlock

Telaran

I wish they would come out and say its a PvP based game

Since PvE content requires ALOT of time and money to create, while endgame raiding is just accesible for that tiny elitist part of the game who think they shoudl get more attention than the other players. Just because ur bad at PvP doenst mean Trion should ignore pvp content.

The majority of Rift will porbably stick to dungeons and warfronts, just like the majority of WoW sticks to bgs and dungeons (now that raids are actually 'hard')

engame raiding takes to much time for the players and to much time to develop aswell. So your basicly demanding Trion to make a game for a small portion of the players. just l2 pvp

Quote Originally Posted by htoncic View Post
    If it was obvious to 100% of the people *****ing on this forum about the lack of pvp or balance issues then we would hardly have as many QQ posts on this forum.

Pvp players are extremely loud and they need to understand that pvp was never intended as the game ultimate focus. There's a reason we have no ladder system, no rankings, no world guild vs guild conquest mechanics. Because Rift is all about the dungeons and raids.

Just check out the latest podcasts.
    Trion talks about the future of the game and not once did they say anything about world pvp, new warfronts or class pvp balance.
    Wanna what they did talk about? Two more raid teirs in late stage development, more dungeons and quests zones.

Quote Originally Posted by The Emissary View Post
    I wish they would come out and say its a PvP based game

Since PvE content requires ALOT of time and money to create, while endgame raiding is just accesible for that tiny elitist part of the game who think they shoudl get more attention than the other players. Just because ur bad at PvP doenst mean Trion should ignore pvp content.

The majority of Rift will porbably stick to dungeons and warfronts, just like the majority of WoW sticks to bgs and dungeons (now that raids are actually 'hard')

engame raiding takes to much time for the players and to much time to develop aswell. So your basicly demanding Trion to make a game for a small portion of the players. just l2 pvp
    But it's not a pvp focused game. I wod have no problem if it was but it clearly isn't.

Banned

I hope Rift never caves in to wanting to balance soul trees for PvP reasons.. The only way to ever balance classes is to homoganize them down to a single class system.. I enjoy the multiple specs and roles people play.. and this only seems to shine in PvE enviroments

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Rockgod99 View Post
    We have way too many pvpers expecting Rift to be on the level of DAoC, WAR or Aion when it comes to pvp. Those are pvp focused games.

We need Trion developers to get on the forums and tell everyone that this is a pve focused game, with the option to pvp. That Rift will never be completely balanced for pvp, that pvp will never be as meaningful here as it is in those other games.

Just come out and declare Rift pve focused and then people will ****.
    I know anyone with common sense already knows Rift is a pve, dungeon/raid progression game but for those clueless few. Who happen to be the loudest on these forums.

They need clarification. Please.
    The 3 games you just said where Heavy PVP games. Rift is a Heavy PVE game. Warhammer and Aion are leaders of the pack when it comes to PVP with GuildWars 2 coming out which is heavy PVP as well. Tiron is trying to make a PVE game with the option to PVP not a Heavy PVP game. Its obvious in the game itself. With as many Souls as Rift has it will be a nightmare to balance PVP, why do you think they have 1 Soul that is meant for only PVP? Because PVP is so hard if not impossible to balance around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast