+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clear some things up about world pvp and arenas.

Soulwalker

Default Clear some things up about world pvp and arenas.

People on this forum like to blame arenas for "killing" world pvp in WoW. I think its time to get some of these facts cleared up.

Things that reduced the occurrence of World PvP in WoW.

Flying mounts = No longer do you have to worry about being ganked while traveling

Portals = Cities with every portal to everywhere you need to go.

Dungeon finder = Sit in town and wait for your que to pop up, no longer need to travel

Hitting the max level = Remember all your epic world pvp stories? What level were you? oh yeah...

Lazy players = If you want world pvp go gank some people, they will call for help which will produce a giant battle. Never mind though, you're in a city waiting for that heroic to pop up. Wait that is wrong, you are actually jumping around on your mount trolling trade chat.

Flying mounts, portals, and dungeon finder... oh yeah I haven't left this city since the last time I flew on my mount to that raid.

Yes all those things contributed.

however, the main contributing factor is: Honour which leads to? you guessed it..epics

in world PvP, you need to track and hunt players, or be in a tarren mill / south shore zerg, ganking in the open world, you might get one kill per 5min.

in a scenario...lets have a look at some screenshots....

167 kills, 396 kills in 2:44...thats...over a kill a min + honour from assists. in AV
    19 killing blows, 45 assists in a gvg WSG in 35min...still better than open world pvp.

Honour per hour and the initial introduction of the honour system and gear.

why would you world pvp in a game about gear? there is no incentive.
    SKYeXile - Future Crew - PlanetSide - Taste the Rainbow
    Xile - Telara Rift Fellowship - Aion - WAR - RIFT

The colour mangeta, rainbows and tasting the rainbow are trademarks of Future Crew Gaming.

Default Clear some things up about world pvp and arenas

wow nov 2004-march 2009
    liftime pvp kilss 227,000

Arenas killed world pvp.
    When the wars raged at southshore, tm, crossroads, it wasns't about gear or honor, we killed the horde because they needed killing,, in short it was war. If these guys (rift) missed the boat on this simple fact rift will be just another "didn't quite make" it mmo

summa nulla est

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
    Yes all those things contributed.

however, the main contributing factor is: Honour which leads to? you guessed it..epics

in world PvP, you need to track and hunt players, or be in a tarren mill / south shore zerg, ganking in the open world, you might get one kill per 5min.

in a scenario...lets have a look at some screenshots....

167 kills, 396 kills in 2:44...thats...over a kill a min + honour from assists. in AV
    19 killing blows, 45 assists in a gvg WSG in 35min...still better than open world pvp.

Honour per hour and the initial introduction of the honour system and gear.

why would you world pvp in a game about gear? there is no incentive.
    Holy man are you ever wrong. World pvp was never about honor it was about the fun. If pvpers have a free set of gear that never changed they wouldn't give a hoot about honor. When I played arenas back in wow it was because I enjoyed it. This post shows people aren't playing for fun anymore.

Banned

Instance pvp is so garbage. Should be world pvp and thats it. And yes warfronts killed pvp on pvp servers. Warfronts should not even exist on pvp servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickybeats View Post
    Holy man are you ever wrong. World pvp was never about honor it was about the fun. If pvpers have a free set of gear that never changed they wouldn't give a hoot about honor. When I played arenas back in wow it was because I enjoyed it. This post shows people aren't playing for fun anymore.
    pretty sure the second honour was introduced, it became about the honour and gear.

flying mounts were introduced WAY after world PvP died.

well they always had portals

dungeon finder was introduced much after honour, it only came in in WOTLK yea?

hitting max level, heaps of people pvped in TM/southshore at 60 it was only when they could get more honour in bgs, they stopped world pvping.
    SKYeXile - Future Crew - PlanetSide - Taste the Rainbow
    Xile - Telara Rift Fellowship - Aion - WAR - RIFT

The colour mangeta, rainbows and tasting the rainbow are trademarks of Future Crew Gaming.

Some times I feel like I'm the only one that likes Warfronts and open world PvP. The two can exist (see that steaming pile of crap called Warhammer that the only thing they got right was the balance between the two forms of PvP).
    Even free cost too much now

lud
    Champion

Yeh, arena's are great fun, i played them a lot but i never liked the gear except that it kept things even.
    I say make arena with zero gear or favor gain, and when you enter the arena just like the olden days you are given your armor and weapons to fight in, that way everyone in the arena is equal geared, a test of skill and team work not of gear.

If they want real world pvp make a castle in each zone, he who controls the castle controls the tax, every vendor transaction buy or sell gets the set tax, everyone who contributed in the taking of the castle gets their share based on contribution, the most prized castles of them all will be the starting zones where the main city's reside as that is where a lot of money exchanges hands.

Default clear some things up about world pvp and arenas

I didn't say anything about honor being the reason, you are part of the entitled wow player set that thinks he is only a good as the reward. I said we fought because it was a war..get it??? not a prearranged instance fight like arenas that could be micro managed for an outcome. War, fighting because in world pvp they were the enemy, not the gear reward. Once that primal factor is removed for whatever reason, its just a game, the reason wow was changed was because the lead dev Tom Chilton (aliases Kalgan ) realized they coudlnt control it (world pvp) and decided it was bad for business. The sad wow you played is mark of shame not knowledge.
    Last edited by Panzerr; 03-10-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Soulwalker

Arenas didn't kill world pvp, only a small fraction of players ever played arena seriously. Blizzard's trend over expacs (at the request of users i should add) has been to remove any need to be involved in the story or conflict of the game. There is no world pvp because no one uses the world.

Hopefully the invasions and such in rift and keeping MMO travelling alive will help Rift maintain a situation where you see other players out in the world.

People on this forum like to blame arenas for "killing" world pvp in WoW. I think its time to get some of these facts cleared up.

Things that reduced the occurrence of World PvP in WoW.

Flying mounts = No longer do you have to worry about being ganked while traveling

Portals = Cities with every portal to everywhere you need to go.

Dungeon finder = Sit in town and wait for your que to pop up, no longer need to travel

Hitting the max level = Remember all your epic world pvp stories? What level were you? oh yeah...

Lazy players = If you want world pvp go gank some people, they will call for help which will produce a giant battle. Never mind though, you're in a city waiting for that heroic to pop up. Wait that is wrong, you are actually jumping around on your mount trolling trade chat.

Flying mounts, portals, and dungeon finder... oh yeah I haven't left this city since the last time I flew on my mount to that raid.
    Well, actually it was the introduction of Battlegrounds that killed small scale World PvP because most of your potential enemies (read: scrubs) prefer easy fast food Honor gains to actual PvP. Large scale World PvP (city raids etc.) was killed by the introduction of Dishonorable Kills.

However, the Arena system introduced a whole new level of <censorship>ery. "Play lame, get fame" is the name of the game. The worst thing about it is that it produced a player base that is actually convinced that it's their personal skill that is reflected by their ratings, which, from the perspective of a PvP veteran (Diablo 2, DAoC et al.) seems pathetically sad. If I were to challenge the average arena junkie to a game of chess, I'd expect them to take a <censorship> on the board, claim victory (and be serious about it) and walk away.
    Last edited by Feranor; 03-10-2011 at 04:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread