+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you gonna keep playing if there will be no meaningful endgame PvP?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland View Post
    It's over because players don't support it and companies have realized that. Yea the forums are full of PvP lovers, but the forums is an extremely small section of the actual subscribers. If PvP generated as much buzz as some think it would don't you think games like WoW would do more for PvP? Bottom line is PvP doesn't keep the masses interested long enough for companies to spend the time and money building it up. "Great PvP" games all fizzle out, there is a reason for that.
    "Great PvE' games all fizzle out also. You need good PvP just as much as you need good PvE to make a mass market successful MMO.

PvE only MMOs will fail and will be a small niche.

You are kidding yourself if you think the PvP community is a small one, it is all based on lies and rumors. The PvP community is just as big as the PvE community.

WoW balances around PvP. They have gear sets you can get solely through PvP that is as good as PvE gear.
    Last edited by Sharuko; 03-08-2011 at 08:44 AM.
    Sharuko - Guardian Mathosian Cleric
    Sharuko - Defiant Kelari Rogue
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=138502&dateline=13019  27021

Quote Originally Posted by Borzy View Post
    OMG, kindred soul.

I have been saying it for years. If you want to PVP go play a FPS.

Without PVP and class balance issues, the "role playing" aspect of the game can improve a million fold.
    Also been promoting the idea for years I wonder when it will catch on.

Of course I will. I'm a raider, not a PvPer. If there were no PvP at all I would continue playing (and be much happier).

No RvR, for the love of all that's Holy, NO RVR! please

Shadowlander

Can't believe how many people just want to kill some boss as end game. Seems like fighting other people is why you would play an online game. So everyone just wants to play a single player game, in multiplayer mode?

At least RvR has variance, not just figuring out how to kill the big boss in the game then repeat till the next big boss is put in the game....

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by KOHD View Post
    And that is why the most populated Rift servers are PvP servers...and why there are half PvP and half PvE unlike most PvE themepark games that only set up a handful for their players.
    Some great games that were PvP based had good populations for a while too, then died. In time the PvP servers will fade out, that's not me saying it that's history. Players who love PvP flocked to Rift because of the hope of great PvP play, I don't think there is enough PvP game to keep them here but they were willing to try it because it's new and they had hope it would give them the PvP content they want.

My account will be canceled the minute I learn they do not intend to develop the PvP further.

PvP "for fun" is not going to cut it in a themepark environment. In three months you won't see even half the adhoc quest hub attacks or the rift skirmishes. It will all be in the warfronts because that's where you'll earn most points to get gear. Those not doing warfront grinds will be in raid grinds.

PvP needs meaning, it needs objectives, purpose, reason, etc., in order to last.

I will hope for meaningful PvP until I am given reason to stop hoping.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland View Post
    That's not what it says at all. What it says is that some people that read the forum (a very small group based on any MMO population) that read that thread are interested in PvP. You ever ask yourself why games based on strong PvP don't last? That's also why "the king of MMO's" WoW doesn't care about there PvP. The amount of hardcore PvP players is very small when talking about total subscriptions.

Really, they dont last?

So Daoc was not a PvP centric game? Daoc was a PvP centric game, was basically about the only thing to do in that game at lvl 50, and its playerbase stayed with it for about 5 years, which Ironically seems to be about the same amount of time you pve'rs played wow before cashing it in.

All these other "PvP" games that have come out in recent years has done the concept of PvP wrong, and have paid the price for doing so. Just like all the "PVE" games that have come down the pipe. If a game is done wrong, it tanks, doesnt matter what kind of player you are.

And its not like we are some vocal minority here. Last time I checked there was approx 27 shards dedicated to PvP, and apparently they also have the highest populations. You ai bashers very well be the vocal minority in this game.

Take the blinders off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwartham View Post
    Take the blinders off.
    Blinders is a good word here. I like the fact he said WoW doesn't care about PvP when it changes whole class dynamics solely based on PvP and PvP balance.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=138502&dateline=13019  27021

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittis View Post
    Real gamers play the whole game because it's fun not a consolidated portion of it. However, I do think game developers need to move away from pvp/pve mix type of mmos. Reasons being, they can spend a lot more development time into the pve aspect if there is no pvp. Another reason is there are so many FPS types of games out there they can't compete with a game that's pure pvp based like Crysis 2, CS etc.. So what we get is a little bit of pve and little bit of pvp. Why not just make a game pure pve and forget pvp and vise versa. I know there are critics out who disagree but his development model is crap it's nothing more then companies trying to maximize profit potentials. Wrong idea if you want to bring quality entertainment.
    That is such a selfish attitude. "If they just ignored PvP, then they could make what I like better!" PvP fans are not a tiny minority as many of you would believe. Might as well ask the devs to do away with the hardcore PvE content as well since the majority of MMO players are casual and won't see it...if we did away with top-end progression raiding, we could make casual dungeons/raids better! And FPS games are not MMORPGs so stop with that nonsense please PvPers that play MMORPGs over say...Counterstrike...enjoy other aspects of MMOs as well. Like the massively part...and the optiuon to do PvE as well.

The main issue with a mixed PvE and PvP game is balance. A class that was once fun in PVE can get all the enjoyment nerfed out of it because of PvP players whining that this or that class is too 'OP'. So everyone gets affected by the PvP minority and their constant whining for balance. That's why the two don't mix well, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kethae View Post
    The main issue with a mixed PvE and PvP game is balance. A class that was once fun in PVE can get all the enjoyment nerfed out of it because of PvP players whining that this or that class is too 'OP'. So everyone gets affected by the PvP minority and their constant whining for balance. That's why the two don't mix well, IMO.
    Then this niche group of people that only want PvE should go to games like FFXIV or Vanguard.

Shadowlander

If PvP at 50 isn't fun, I'll cancel and find something else to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittis View Post
    Also been promoting the idea for years I wonder when it will catch on.
    Never.

10char
    Punisher
    [The Cabal]

Jai
    Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzick View Post
    Can't believe how many people just want to kill some boss as end game. Seems like fighting other people is why you would play an online game. So everyone just wants to play a single player game, in multiplayer mode?

At least RvR has variance, not just figuring out how to kill the big boss in the game then repeat till the next big boss is put in the game....
    I have no interest in fighting against other people. I do, however, enjoy fighting alongside other people. Competition bores me, cooperation is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    Then this niche group of people that only want PvE should go to games like FFXIV or Vanguard.
    Why? This game was never touted as a PvP game. The PvP is incedental to what the game is about. Perhaps the PVP minority should go play Warhammer instead. Oh that's right, that's a game that was built around PvP and failed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast