+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you gonna keep playing if there will be no meaningful endgame PvP?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Koruun2 View Post
    Couple of zones that are designed for longterm PvP, to give Lv50s who are more into PvP than PvE something more interesting, consistent and rewarding (not in terms of more favor/prestige, but with bonuses for your faction or guild maybe, something that has an impact and where you can have an influence, like opening a sweet PvE-zone by holding most keeps or flags or something else to capture).
    So nothing like arena or WFs.
    You mean like Wintergrasp?

Coz that would be very original.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland View Post
    That's not what it says at all. What it says is that some people that read the forum (a very small group based on any MMO population) that read that thread are interested in PvP. You ever ask yourself why games based on strong PvP don't last? That's also why "the king of MMO's" WoW doesn't care about there PvP. The amount of hardcore PvP players is very small when talking about total subscriptions.
    And that is why the most populated Rift servers are PvP servers...and why there are half PvP and half PvE unlike most PvE themepark games that only set up a handful for their players.

I didn't come to this game for the PvP. If I had, I would have rolled on an open PVP server. It was never advertised as a PvP game, more as a game that also has PvP. Its strengths are in its PVE and those are what drew me here (the promise of dynamic content etc).

I honestly can't understand all the uproar about PVP and RVR when you all knew what the game was about. It happens all the time though. A game is advertised for one thing (in this case the rifts and dynamic content), and people say 'yeah, I want to play that!' and then it launches and they're all like 'oh, I wish it was like my old game that I don't want to play any more' and 'why doesn't it have this?' and 'they should make it more like this'. What game did you think you were buying? From what I've seen, you're looking for DAOC 2 and I can't remember ever reading anything that said the game was anything like that.

Real gamers play the whole game because it's fun not a consolidated portion of it. However, I do think game developers need to move away from pvp/pve mix type of mmos. Reasons being, they can spend a lot more development time into the pve aspect if there is no pvp. Another reason is there are so many FPS types of games out there they can't compete with a game that's pure pvp based like Crysis 2, CS etc.. So what we get is a little bit of pve and little bit of pvp. Why not just make a game pure pve and forget pvp and vise versa. I know there are critics out who disagree but his development model is crap it's nothing more then companies trying to maximize profit potentials. Wrong idea if you want to bring quality entertainment.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Mong View Post
    Why do people always says the days of this are behind us? Put it in and it's there.

If you don't want to go there you don't go.

It impacts the PvE players none whatsever.
    It's over because players don't support it and companies have realized that. Yea the forums are full of PvP lovers, but the forums is an extremely small section of the actual subscribers. If PvP generated as much buzz as some think it would don't you think games like WoW would do more for PvP? Bottom line is PvP doesn't keep the masses interested long enough for companies to spend the time and money building it up. "Great PvP" games all fizzle out, there is a reason for that.

Rift Disciple

Most likely not rift is a fun filler to mess with souls for a while till something better comes out (GW2 I hope)

Telaran

Well, since I love both PvE and PvP I will continue playing, but will be rather disappointed tho

Quote Originally Posted by Borzy View Post

Wintergrasp is not a persistent PvP zone. Hell, when the short little event isn't going on everyone can fly around on their mounts and avoid fighting all together. The goal of that zone is also a PvE one...to gain access to a PvE raid. When that short event isn't happening, there is no reason to be out there. None.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittis View Post
    Real gamers play the whole game because it's fun not a consolidated portion of it. However, I do think game developers need to move away from pvp/pve mix type of mmos. Reasons being, they can spend a lot more development time into the pve aspect if there is no pvp. Another reason is there are so many FPS types of games out there they can't compete with a game that's pure pvp based like Crysis 2, CS etc.. So what we get is a little bit of pve and little bit of pvp. Why not just make a game pure pve and forget pvp and vise versa. I know there are critics out who disagree but his development model is crap it's nothing more then companies trying to maximize profit potentials. Wrong idea if you want to bring quality entertainment.
    OMG, kindred soul.

I have been saying it for years. If you want to PVP go play a FPS.

Without PVP and class balance issues, the "role playing" aspect of the game can improve a million fold.
    Last edited by Borzy; 03-08-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Jai
    Plane Walker

It's over because players don't support it and companies have realized that. Yea the forums are full of PvP lovers, but the forums is an extremely small section of the actual subscribers. If PvP generated as much buzz as some think it would don't you think games like WoW would do more for PvP? Bottom line is PvP doesn't keep the masses interested long enough for companies to spend the time and money building it up. "Great PvP" games all fizzle out, there is a reason for that.
    PVP players also tend to be a much squeakier wheel than PVE players, that is to say a higher percentage of them post on the forums.

For me, I haven't set foot in PVP in this game yet and have no plan to. Not my game or my style.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Borzy View Post

Nah, I'm not talking about one little zone with few towers to capture. I'd love to see 5~10 zones who are connected with each other, in the size of stillmoor each, designated for PvP. Every zone containing keeps or points or something else to capture. Guilds holding more points get bonuses like 1% more damage/healing per point, and you could implement additional mechanics that reward people going out and PvP. No matter how it is done, if it is not instanced it has a good chance to give PvP-happy players a longterm motivation for playing.

http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/02/2...nity-responds/

I beg to differ.

The PvE crowd seems so hell-bent on having ALL content 100% for them. In the 3000+ post requesting RVR-like zones, there were PvE people in there demanding that something like that would NEVER happen even if it didn't affect them at all. Selfish.

On RP servers we always have meaningful PvP ;)

Champion

I play RPG'S for dungeons, monsters, swords, armor, magic, loot. raids,story, etc...
    sure as sh@t don't play em for pvp.
    AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 @3.8ghz / ASUS M4A785T-M / 2x4 GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 1600mhz / PNY GTX 560 1gb core @950 / WD caviar black 750gb
    OCZ modxstream 600wat PSU / Fractal R3 case / Windows 7 64bit

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Huhn View Post
    Yes I could care less about pvp in mmo's. If i feel like matching up against other people i will go play some battlefield or something.
    This is my mentality also. PVP is just something I have never been all that excited about. I would rather see some cool dungeons and cool boss encounters than grind out BG's and stuff like that. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that share my view also, just more PVE orientated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast