+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you gonna keep playing if there will be no meaningful endgame PvP?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by strength View Post
    Let me tell you a story about "meaningful" pvp. . .

On the Harrow server, my guild is out questing in the early to mid 30s heading to Kings Breach and we come across a Defiant control point. We see a couple of Defiant hanging out so we hop in and kill them and burst down their control point. About a minute later we notice a large invasion coming down the road, so we kill everything in the town really quick and low and behold, the invasion comes in and takes over their control point.

So now they have to wait for the immunity timer and have no quest hub because they couldn't stop 5 guys from wiping their little base.

The game already has meaningful pvp, you just have to do it.

and it was hella fun
    That's not the style I enjoy PvP. I like to fight against people who also are looking for PvP fights, not griefing players who want to level up.

Quote Originally Posted by Arixtotle View Post
    Trion has already specifically said they would not "balance" PvP to the detriment of PvE. In fact, they're not going to "balance" at all.
    It seems changes have already been made due to PvP imbalances. I mean...why would anyone need to cleanse a Sab's charges in a PvE setting?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland View Post
    If PvP didn't affect me as a PvE player I'm game for whatever, that never happens though.
    Well Trion has specifically said that they won't "balance" PvP to the detriment of PvE which I have already said twice. They'll fix UP classes but they won't nerf everything to the ground over and over again like other companies do.
    Tyamin
    <Tuatha Dea>
    Level 31 Guardian Rogue
    Sunrest

Kidael
    <Tractus Apparatus>
    Level 16 Defiant Warrior
    Faeblight

Stop Losing! - a RIFT Warfront strategy blog (Black Garden Basics Posted!)
    @StopLosingRIFT - Official RIFT Twitter for Stop Losing!.

Smh

I wont quit if this game doesnt have end game pvp, but im sure this game will have end game pvp.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Arixtotle View Post
    Trion already said they'll probably be implementing a ranking system. They have also said they won't "balance" to the detriment of PvE or even try and "balance" at all.

A lot of you seem to think PvPers are the minority. Well we're not. Go check out which servers are the fullest at prime time. They're always PvP servers. This game has more people on PvP server then PvE servers.
    Go check out what servers will be the fullest in a month, or three or six months. Games that promise good PvP draw the PvP crowd in mass to start, we will see if it lasts. Again 8 of the top 10 servers on WoW are PvE not PvP. This could change in this game, but based on the gripes already from PvP players it won't change. If they don't "balance" for PvP they will lose even more of the PvP crowd. Also, having played most every MMO sense EQ don't EVER believe that the developers tell you "wont ever" happen. What will happen is whatever brings in the money. If they said they won't balance for PvP then PvP will fade and it also tells you that PvP isn't the main event of this game, it's the side show.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled_heretic View Post
    what is our "real pvp game?"

darkfall? please. dont make me laugh. does the term "blood wall" mean anything to you?

eve? rofl. my progression is based on how long i pay for my account. no thanks. it's a really pretty screensaver though. and don't get me started on the spreadsheets...
    Don't quote me damn you! I was poking fun that the person I quoted ><

And I loved Darkfall for the first couple months...before things like bloodwalls, no skill caps, bunnyhopping, no way for new players to gradually enter the game without hiding out in a player city and hitting a blood wall for months...sigh. Such potential imo.
    Last edited by KOHD; 03-08-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Soulwalker

I like to pvp in RPG's. Fighting the "PVE" content is boring and so far isn't very challenging at all. Fighting other players who won't do the same thing over and over again is more of a challenge and much more fun to me. I really hope there is good end game pvp action in this game. I say end game pvp because going back to zones killing other players who have no chance whatsoever regardless of their skill just isnt fun. Its like playing anygame with a god mode hack. Whats the point? But if there isnt any end game pvp content then I will have to blame the "PVE" kids for making it that way and destroy people who have little to no chance of defending themselves for my kicks till something like GW2 comes out.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by KOHD View Post
    i see. it wasn't exactly clear to me. nevermind then.

It seems changes have already been made due to PvP imbalances. I mean...why would anyone need to cleanse a Sab's charges in a PvE setting?
    Well they mean they will make sure any changes don't negitively effect PvE and they won't nerf, nerf, nerf due to whining. Plus that was in Beta where they were still changing things around. They also seem to want to make sure that all Tanks, all Healers and all DPS are on somewhat the same level for PvE. If anything they'll "balance" for PvE before PvP. The main point is that they're not going to even try to level the playing field because it screws up PvE and it just doesn't work. They will make small changes if they see something doesn't work but they said they won't go the Blizz route of nerfing everything continuously. Meaning they won't nerf Sabs or VKs so people need to **** about them.
    Tyamin
    <Tuatha Dea>
    Level 31 Guardian Rogue
    Sunrest

Kidael
    <Tractus Apparatus>
    Level 16 Defiant Warrior
    Faeblight

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMcCloud View Post
    The age of complete player freedom, realm pride, non-instanced, non-consensual, free-for-all PvP are behind us. Let us return to our "Remember that one time in DaoC/UO/SB/AC" threads and cry on each other's shoulders.

I started playing UO on a PC that had a Cyrix GTX processor with Windows 95 as my OS. Things change, friend.
    Yup, an unfortunate truth, mmos have gone from small time development teams and niche player bases to becoming mainstream and thus more mainstream focused (see how to maximize profits in the shortest amount of time). Trying new things isn't something most businesses are willing to do if they perceive a way to continue on doing more of the same to make more money.

One can hope we'll get some more trail blazers in the future, and hope they'll be at least well funded enough to make games that work properly, because the biggest problem with the severely underfunded niche area of game development right now is the lack of funding (and probably lack of good leadership on the dev teams) causes the games to run very shoddily.

Yes, I don't PvP

Don't know if there is any endgame PvP or not, don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Koruun2 View Post
    That's not the style I enjoy PvP. I like to fight against people who also are looking for PvP fights, not griefing players who want to level up.
    then play on a carebear server.

this is real world pvp, level 30s killing level 30s at a quest hub is far from griefing, if we were 50 . .. . maybe

Rift Chaser

And I loved Darkfall for the first couple months...before things like bloodwalls, no skill caps, bunnyhopping, no way for new players to gradually enter the game without hiding out in a player city and hitting a blood wall for months...sigh. Such potential imo.
    You left out devs being part of guilds they'd given longtime beta access to dominating certain servers. They have fixed alot of the skilling up problems nowadays in DF (IE skilling up on mobs is about 20x faster then skilling up on players).

However my biggest gripe with the game was always how they setup the cities in static locations, instead of doing some more along the lines of how shadowbane was setup which was far superior.

Champion of Telara

i was floored about darkfall for the first couple of weeks. but after joining a guild and seeing what grinding was really like i was severely disillusioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland View Post
    Go check out what servers will be the fullest in a month, or three or six months. Games that promise good PvP draw the PvP crowd in mass to start, we will see if it lasts. Again 8 of the top 10 servers on WoW are PvE not PvP. This could change in this game, but based on the gripes already from PvP players it won't change. If they don't "balance" for PvP they will lose even more of the PvP crowd. Also, having played most every MMO sense EQ don't EVER believe that the developers tell you "wont ever" happen. What will happen is whatever brings in the money. If they said they won't balance for PvP then PvP will fade and it also tells you that PvP isn't the main event of this game, it's the side show.
    WoW also added PvP in later so most of the older crowd are PvEers. WoW is also differnt from RIFT. RIFT allows for a great deal more Open World PvP then WoW. You can defeat wardstones and send an invasion to take over the site. There are objectives in Scarlet Gorge and Scarwood Reach where you have to battle the opposite faction to gain Wardstones. Raid Rifts allow interference from the opposite faction.

The bad PvPers will leave without "balance" but the ones who actually want a challenge won't. It's the same with PvE. As of something like a week and a half ago no one on the Alpha servers had defeated Greenscale. Without being able to steamroll through content the bad PvEers will leave as well. We'll, hopefully, be left with the Not as Bad to good players.

But yes, we'll see.
    Tyamin
    <Tuatha Dea>
    Level 31 Guardian Rogue
    Sunrest

Kidael
    <Tractus Apparatus>
    Level 16 Defiant Warrior
    Faeblight

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast