+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why are Mages so weak?

Shadowlander

Default Why are Mages so weak?

I'm just curious about the method here... At level 39 my max crit was 1300. However, I was crit on by a warrior for 1700. How is it that the squishiest class in the game, that should be a nuker, can't nuke as much as a warrior? With all the buffs I have a total of 800 armor, roughly 10% damage mitigation and 3.5k life. Sure if everyone runs circles around me and doesnt touch me I can do damage, but one stun/snare and I'm royally screwed. Not to mention Clerics that can outheal any DPS I can think to muster. Seriously Trion, WTF. Lower the flicker cd, give every mage a blink, do something! Because as it stands, as a mage you're virtually worthless in PvP and easily replaced in PvE.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by mthree5150 View Post
    I'm just curious about the method here... At level 39 my max crit was 1300. However, I was crit on by a warrior for 1700. How is it that the squishiest class in the game, that should be a nuker, can't nuke as much as a warrior? With all the buffs I have a total of 800 armor, roughly 10% damage mitigation and 3.5k life. Sure if everyone runs circles around me and doesnt touch me I can do damage, but one stun/snare and I'm royally screwed. Not to mention Clerics that can outheal any DPS I can think to muster. Seriously Trion, WTF. Lower the flicker cd, give every mage a blink, do something! Because as it stands, as a mage you're virtually worthless in PvP and easily replaced in PvE.
    You should add this to the already abundant Mage QQBBQ going on in the Mage forum. Just saying.

Telaran

Because anything ranged is a threat to the warrior plus you are easy kills when alone

Quote Originally Posted by DJBro View Post
    You should add this to the already abundant Mage QQBBQ going on in the Mage forum. Just saying.
    Just reroll a Rogue, so that you can cast while you move, kite, and hit twice as hard with much more survivabiliy without even touching the PVP soul. And you even get a free pet that tanks better than any Mage pet, and you can HoT heal it without penalty!

The only thing you lose out on is Chloro in PVE, which is a worthwhile PVE setup!

I know you are sad currently, but mages are doing incredibly well at 50 in pvp.

Yeah, roll pyro or domi and chain CC - you'll win warfronts, and they won't even know what hit em.

Quote Originally Posted by Xvvt View Post
    I'm focused on PVE primarily because I want to play a Chloro, so I am not sad. But no, its night and day at 50 between any other class and Mage. I have been 50 for over a week, when I was waiting for hours to even get into a Warfront because there were so few 50s. I had both a high level Cleric and Rogue in beta, so I picked Mage and Warrior on release for something fresh.

Its not even close to balanced, I've played them all (except Warrior close to cap at this point). Mages have a legit gripe *in PVP*. Any Warrior with any talent will know the rotation to charge/stun you, and kill you before you get out of it. Any Rogue can almost do the same thing. What is the counter?

Even if you they are noobs and you burn your flicker/knockback, and then snare... You still have a 2-3 second cast so you can't effectively kite if you want to burst, and your spells seems to suffer from *no* diminishing returns on spell push back. A 3 second cast with a Rogue on you turns into a 6 second cast...

And then factor in the left to right movement of melee which seems to bug out the targeting of the game... You will see "you must be facing the target" when you *clearly* are facing the target.

Mages do well in PVP if people ignore them (or maybe if you dump full points in the PVP soul, which you DO NOT have to do with any of the other classes in order to be viable).

It is not balanced, its true, and I am not in any of the Mage QQ threads... but enough if enough.

Shadowlander

I'm playing a 30 warlock, 5 archmage, 5 necro at level 30 in WFs and I'm having a BLAST. I've also tried out Chloro/dom. Both of these builds were very viable in WFs--Chloro has great survivability and the AOE as a Warlock can't be touched. I tried Pyro for a bit but it wasn't worth much because of the low survivability, at least for me.

I spend most of my time as a Warlock, and 1v1 isn't that bad either. If Break Free and Mortality aren't on a CD I can survive almost anything that comes my way, besides well-geared Sabs. However, dealing with multiple enemies is almost impossible (only defeated a duo once), but this is a group based game and I don't expect to take down groups.

Again, this is my experience at 30. But I'm loving it.
    Innovation
    Mage of Mystery, a Lotham Guardian PvP guild

Quote Originally Posted by Vayxx View Post
    I'm playing a 30 warlock
    Balance before level cap doesn't really matter (and trust me, it changes a lot post 30). We can't expect Trion to balance a game at every level, and because so, experiences prior to cap really do not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Xvvt View Post
    Mage as a group guy with chloro or archon is nice for every group, perhaps some dominator in there as well.

For pve raiding it seams the damage is not up to par however.

I play a warrior and a mage. The lack of good instant casts at earlier lvl is not fun for the mage.

About damage, mage is not up to par but should not be up to par with a close combat fighter. If ranged are, close combat rouges and warriors would be screwed since they have to reach the target and be closer in range to more enemies to do their damage.

For pve instances if you want to do damage then the mage is in need of some boosts. The skills with a cast time should be higher damage. They are hard to get off in pvp anyway.
    Defiant, since I trust in knowledge.
    Defiant, since religion is false.

What's a mage ?!?

If it wasn't for the skeletons running around at rifts, I wouldn't know they exist at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    What's a mage ?!?

If it wasn't for the skeletons running around at rifts, I wouldn't know they exist at all.
    Stop trying to up your post count, like I am right now!

Ive given up trying to deal damage as a Mage in Warfronts we take too much time to deal damage and in the fast paced PVP enviornment your best bet is to CC and annoy as many healers as possible until your eventual death. Mages do have their place in Warfronts but the class is the most dissapointing I have playedby far. Mages should be known for MAJOR damage due to our lack of survivability and since we can be perma stunned and killed by just about everyone they should fear our ranged damage but thats simply not the case. Currently the Mage is a joke in PVP and in overall damage
    http://www.prophecyguild.net/

Current Mage class in RIFT is the reason I broke my many-MMO chain of maining a mage. Hopefully, by the time I get to 50 some miracle patch will get them in a good spot so I can pick one up again.

Quote Originally Posted by XodoK View Post
    Current Mage class in RIFT is the reason I broke my many-MMO chain of maining a mage. Hopefully, by the time I get to 50 some miracle patch will get them in a good spot so I can pick one up again.
    You want a real joke try playing a necro. Its so sad its laughable. Whats supposed to be the Main pet class and has been known for it is mind boggling. While a Sabo can stack charges on global cooldown and blow you to bits a Necro has to use plague bolt to stack 5 deathly callings with a 2 second cast time on each OR, get this, hope other players stand in their grave rot AOE until five stacks accumulate. And even when we do get five stacks of Deathy Calling on an enemy along with necrosis trhe damage the pet deals is still laughable.

For being the Squishy class wearing Cloth, we should be dealing scary damage at range and we simply do not. We are the Squrrel masters that 80 % of the players break. What are we known for ? Soon smart players will begin to ignore us due to our total irrelevance. Funny I rarely get killed by other mages, heh we cant even kill each other .
    http://www.prophecyguild.net/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast