+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warfronts. Solved.

Rift Disciple

Default Warfronts. Solved.

Warfronts.

Problem: Right now people have two major issues with warfronts:

- One side (Guardian/Defiant) is too strong and wins constantly.

- There are long queue times / players can't get in a warfront.

Solution: People who join warfronts can join either side.

Long version / rationale:
    Currently if one side is stronger, they will win (sometimes absolutely crush) the other side. The losing side may sign up again, but likely will stop playing and go do something else. The winners may talk about how much they dominated, and thus more from that side will sign up. And then we get a long queue / not enough to even get a game started.

***If instead, the warfront put everyone who signed up on a team regardless of faction, you could not only have enough players on each team to start the game, but also make sure each side had a similar number of people.***

Pros:
    - Short/nonexistent queues. When you signup you are added to the team that needs players. There may still be a wait if more people overall are needed to start a game (Are there servers with only 5 people signing in a bracket?)
    - More balanced teams. If one side has better people or higher levels, if they are split between two teams, you should hopefully have a more balanced game. It won't be perfect, and there's no point fussing about it too much, similar numbers should be ok. Don't pretend like stupidly overpowered instanced PVP is fun for either side.
    - It opens up more options. With this system you could have new warfronts with 3+ teams in them, which would be something very different and possibly really cool.

Cons:
    - Breaks lore/roleplaying. Kind of destroys it when you fight alongside the enemy. Really only an issue for serious RPing PVPers. It's a small segment but this could just be implemented on PVP servers first. Most of these players care much more about easily accessible, fun PVP.
    - Possibly an issue with valor farming. People may argue you can get a group together and power game it up fighting themselves in warfronts. But if there are a decent number of other players on they shouldn't affect the teams too much. If you think about it, these players will do whatever it takes to get the rewards anyway so there is no reason to make it hard for everyone just to make it take a week longer for these players to get something.

Another possible solution to combat that argument: lose some small amount of valor on death. Gain three valor for a kill (or however they do contribution system now, that seems to work well), lose one for a death.

Another option being players can't gain valor off someone with no valor, they have to contribute and earn some valor before they are worth anything for killing. That way you can't kill someone over and over who is doing nothing and get valor from it.

Players who do a lot of PVPing could consequentially be worth more valor, encouraging people to hunt them down (a kind of informal bounty). Might be nice if griefers who kill lowbies had a fat valor bounty for example.

This could work for open world as well, but I am not sure I fully support implementing it there.

This may get lost in the mouth frothing cries of "Nerf this, that, etc!!" but hopefully a few people can give this wall o words a read and think about it.

fev
    Soulwalker

Interesting idea, seems like it could work for WF's.

Agreed 100%, I would love to get some of those guardian healers onto my own team some day, and for them to get some of our AFK whitefall bots.

Rift Disciple

Should have wrote this much smaller haha. I talked to some clannies and they said they didn't mind the queues and didn't want to play with the defiants. I wasn't really sure of their reason.

Anyone else share that opinion? And why?

I agree it would be better as it mixes it up so it should balance out the whole W/L ratio. Will it be done? Probs not sadly... I think it would be a great idea or even when the game grows and say... there is 100 defiants but only 20 guardians. You could do same faction VS same faction in warfronts so atleast it breaks down queue times and so on.
    CPU: AMD 1055T X6 3.8GHz Mobo: MSI Fuzion 870A GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870 1024MB / Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 Core216 Ram: 8Gbz Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600Mhz

Ugh, I wouldn't want to be teamed up with the Defiant baddies from Bloodiron/Whitefall/Firesand.

/no
    G.T.L.

Gaming. Table tennis. Library.

IT'S T-SHIRT TIME!!!

Character:

[GUARDIAN] Level 4X High Elf Rogue

I like killing big blue people.
    Not so much having them on my side.

L A
    Rift Disciple

I'm a lil confused, when you say valor, do you mean favor? or am i just missing something? :P

I like your solution there though. i definitely think it would be good in world pvp. All those that run around and kill low levels should definitely have a higher price on their heads, or reward anyway.

I'm not sure about not being able to get (favor?) from killing players that don't have any though. If it were implemented from the start, there'd be no way to get it going, no one would be able to get favor because no one had any yet. Although, it might work if it were implemented now that people have played for a bit. That part could work well for pve servers maybe. That way a player would have no incentive to kill someone who just wants to pve.

Lemme know if i've gotten it wrong....

I can see what you say, but I still see some issues with it:
    - I'd might have to end up pvp'ing my guildies or friends unless we join as a group
    - On a pvp-server, there might be guilds or people that normally is in a war with each other in the open world, and then suddenly they are supposed to team up together?
    - And it's the lore, Defiants and Guardians are not fighting together...

Ascendant

THE ONLY PROBLEM IS BUFFS AND HEALS ARE TOO STRONG, how many times Ive to tell this, add damage and nerf heals and buffs or watch how people get frustrated they cant do ANYTHING.
    Last edited by June; 03-11-2011 at 10:09 PM.

I am still having a very very hard time believing that the guardians could be winning soo much across ALL pairings... I mean, the chances of someone picking one faction over the other is 50% right? How.. How in the world did the guardians end up with over 70% of the healers?

I mean help me understand this, because in any FPS game I play with random teams, my win chances are pretty even.. I could actually win one and lose one back to back over and over again.. But on the 3 different server clusters I have rolled Defiants on, it is constant.. Every Guardian plays exactly the same.. It's pretty weird.. They all heal.. They all go straight for objectives.. They all CC intelligently.. They use the very same Codex strategy of winning without capping the codex... The very same bard/sab combos..

Lol, it's like playing against all the same people in the 3 pairings I play in..

It's so strange.. It's a phenomenon I simply cannot explain.. In theory, Defiant should have had the same chance in the beginning to grab some of those types of players.. But it really seems like they were doomed from the start..Somehow..
    Quote Originally Posted by Vember View Post
    Two things decide pvp matches right now - pure healers and champions. Both need to be toned down, neither has anything to do with whether or not there's too much cc and not enough immunity.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Vyeth View Post
    I am still having a very very hard time believing that the guardians could be winning soo much across ALL pairings... I mean, the chances of someone picking one faction over the other is 50% right? How.. How in the world did the guardians end up with over 70% of the healers?

I mean help me understand this, because in any FPS game I play with random teams, my win chances are pretty even.. I could actually win one and lose one back to back over and over again.. But on the 3 different server clusters I have rolled Defiants on, it is constant.. Every Guardian plays exactly the same.. It's pretty weird.. They all heal.. They all go straight for objectives.. They all CC intelligently.. They use the very same Codex strategy of winning without capping the codex... The very same bard/sab combos..

Lol, it's like playing against all the same people in the 3 pairings I play in..

It's so strange.. It's a phenomenon I simply cannot explain.. In theory, Defiant should have had the same chance in the beginning to grab some of those types of players.. But it really seems like they were doomed from the start..Somehow..
    Emos always play healers so guardians, I'd almost bet Defiant side is full of rogues and mages, basically DPS. But its not enough theres just isnt enough damage in this game. Its so easy to outheal your opponent side.
    Last edited by June; 03-11-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alox View Post
    or stop playing, problem also solved
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm, We ran to the sounds of the thunder, We danced among the lightning bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Shadowlander

notice, guardians are saying - lol i love winning, no want to queue with baddies.
    and defiants are saying, less AFKers plz.. love the idea

Soulwalker

To be honest, this is a brilliant idea... ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast