+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CC in WF is BS

As a cleric i spend a large percentage of the warfront in a state of cc

Stun, silence, fear, mind control.. it gets old rather quickly. It Sucks that the dps cleric souls are the ones to get fear/silence immunity spells and not the the healers. Having to wait till lv 50 to put some decent points in a pvp soul is also ridiculous.

And spending 30 seconds as a F,ing squirel is a joke (whats more of a joke it is a skill that requires no points spent)
    So long rift, may your potential someday be realised

Soulwalker

TO ANYONE QQ'ing about CC...

don't pvp if you don't like it

don't talk like you know what's best for pvp play... there are always more seasoned veterans who can vouch for CC... or just anyone who played some pvp in DAOC...

don't get on here when someone is better and CC'd you; go join a group or guild not a PUG...

don't treat this game like it is wow. period.

don't come in with closed ears and an open mouth.

There is so much that CC does for pvp... some classes have weaknesses and strengths... if you are a tank, play the tank role. if you are healer, play that role. if you CC PLAY YOUR ROLE.

I like to use a class with some CC... it gets resisted sometimes... I don't come on here crying that my abilities were resisted and I got rolled...

Quote Originally Posted by murkin View Post
    You sound like a failed politician who is now trying to gain some respect by dealing in useless boring facts.

And you can't tell me the CC stacking is not a little over the top.
    And having replied to the same post twice with equally uninsightful responses, one markedly more odd than the other, you sound like a schizophrenic.
    Defiant Mage <Roots>
    Guardian Mage <Crowd Control> - inactive
    #crowdcontrol irc.quakenet.org
    Staff Writer for Rift Junkies.
    DAoC/Warhammer/Aion/Rift PvP videos@YouTube

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Immorl View Post

don't pvp if you don't like it

don't talk like you know what's best for pvp play... there are always more seasoned veterans who can vouch for CC... or just anyone who played some pvp in DAOC...

don't get on here when someone is better and CC'd you; go join a group or guild not a PUG...

don't treat this game like it is wow. period.

There is so much that CC does for pvp... some classes have weaknesses and strengths... if you are a tank, play the tank role. if you are healer, play that role. if you CC PLAY YOUR ROLE.

I like to use a class with some CC... it gets resisted sometimes... I don't come on here crying that my abilities were resisted and I got rolled...
    Wow...you get resisted sometimes? The horror.

The thing is, as a healer, many times I simply can NOT play my role (unless my role is a squirrel getting mana drained, then I'm all set!). That is simply no fun. At all. To be able to do nothing.

As seemingly Trion has said in the past, that they "want to take the fear out of pvp", they are kind of failing. One thing people (from other games) fear is CC/unable to do anything. People don't like it/are afraid of it. And yet it's even worse (from a duration standpoint) than in any game that I have played. Those people that don't like it in other games are going to like it a whole lot less here.

That's really not at all a step in the right direction if the goal is to take the fear out of pvp.

Another aspect of "fear" in pvp is that most know that healers are a prime target. Most warfronts also have over half their team capable (via souls) to heal. Most warfronts do not have adequate heals (I'm talking both sides here - almost always one will have more than the other, and generally that side wins). There is no incentive for any one individual to swap to healing.

For example, if I zone into a Codex match on my cleric, and I'm the only "blue" (and there are no purple rogues) at 10 seconds before the fight starts, I swap to dps, because at least as DPS I can do something before I die. If I'm the only healer, and the other team is half competant, I'll be chain CC'd/drained/killed. I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world that doesn't enjoy that. That is another aspect of "fear".

Ultimately it's game, and it's about fun. Fun can mean different things to different people, but, generally, not being able to do anything isn't fun. Unbalanced play isn't fun. Premades vs PUGs isn't fun. People seeing something as unfun is probably the same thing Trion meant when they talked about "fear", but I'm not 100% sure. But someone stepping in to see what PvP is like and getting constantly insta-gibbed or constantly CC'd won't (generally) have fun. They'll likely not come back. Participation dwindles, etc. That's not really a recipe for success.

PvP can be balanced around a game with much more limited CC than Rift has (or even WoW, which has less). Trion (and Blizzard, and probably countless others) have chosen not to.

Speaking only for myself, the main reason I tried Rift was I was looking for better PvP than WoW. Rift does not have that at the moment. The PvE game seems, basically, equal to WoW's, but prettier. PvP, on the other hand, is often very lacking in balance and fun.

And I'm still baffled by the decision to put the majority of CC breakers after the post-50 pvp grind, but the CC is there even as early as the 20's bracket.

Rift Disciple MarleyTheMongolianMoose's Avatar

Too long: CC is needed with high damage to avoid the huge spike damage. Get mages/healers to dispel CC that is required. DRs help.

CC is needed when the damage output and healing output is this high.

I've been utterly destroyed in a few seconds but certain classes and in order to combat those it needs to be CC'd.

I agree that the CC is too high in this game but so is the damage and so is the healing output of certain classes.

These things happen when attacks and heals aren't varied for their situation. The game is balanced around PvE and the damage output of the boss and the required damage to take down a boss level mob. Not a player. There are some stats specific to PvP but without the ability of abilities having different damage vs players and vs mobs than players are going to be output such insane damage that it is will be tough to balance.

Then again it could just be me seeing it from the point of a mage and seeing myself being bursted down without my healers having no chance to heal me (I have dedicated healers who are damn good at healing). If they manage to get pain supression on me or something to lower the damage intake I can survive but if I am suddenly hit by certain classes I just fall over.

So to combat these things CC need to be there. I prefer a snare/root CC game over a complete lock out game because this allows me to keep my opponents at bay further from me temporarily instead of forcing them to lose control of their character but certain ranged classes put out just as much damage.

Plus every PvP soul has the innate ability to break snares and I am pretty sure a lot of them can be dispelled. So start dispelling those things.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Immorl View Post

Oooookkkkk. You appear to have closed ears and open mouth.

People can express concerns they have you know, even, yes its true, even if they, .....disagree with you! I know, its shocking but you'll get used to it in time. Its called feedback, its how things get better.

And people who give feedback are not necessarily comparing it to wow you know. It seams to me the only people on this forum with wow on the mind are, ironically enough, the ones who post things like 'dont turn this game into wow!'.

Also, the 'there is always someone who knows better' is probably the most stupid and narrowminded arguement I've ever some across.

CC is fine, but current CC durations are just too long. Stunlocks with skills that stun for 5 seconds each, silences that last just as long, and squirrel that lasts half a minute, on instant cooldown!!! These are just ridiculous and need to be adressed.

To the people saying "CC is fine l2p with it or don't play" etc, the fun from any game comes from actually playing the game, which is what CC prevents you from doing.

Telaran

The CC is actually necessary, and here is why:

Burst damage and healing is INSANE compared to the size of health pools.

That's all. Without CC, snares, stuns etc, there'd be no way to deal with champion lolburst. Any mage that ended up in melee range of anything would be dead meat (hello stealth rogues).

I'm fairly sure most doing the complaining are playing melee classes of some kind. Try playing a mage without using any kind of cc, then come back and demand the removal of cc. Enjoy being a free kill to every other calling in the game.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fail View Post

That's all. Without CC, snares, stuns etc, there'd be no way to deal with champion lolburst. Any mage that ended up in melee range of anything would be dead meat (hello stealth rogues).

I'm fairly sure most doing the complaining are playing melee classes of some kind. Try playing a mage without using any kind of cc, then come back and demand the removal of cc. Enjoy being a free kill to every other calling in the game.
    Hello champs are the class with the most cc and highest dps. PvP atm is go Champ or ****, it's ******ed.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fail View Post

This. ^^

CC is life, but because it doesn't have numbers in a column in warfront scoreboards, the WoW newbs don't spec for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan View Post
    CC is fine, but current CC durations are just too long. Stunlocks with skills that stun for 5 seconds each, silences that last just as long, and squirrel that lasts half a minute, on instant cooldown!!! These are just ridiculous and need to be adressed.

To the people saying "CC is fine l2p with it or don't play" etc, the fun from any game comes from actually playing the game, which is what CC prevents you from doing.
    Squirrel lasts 12 seconds. That's a pretty short half a minute in normal time.
    Defiant Mage <Roots>
    Guardian Mage <Crowd Control> - inactive
    #crowdcontrol irc.quakenet.org
    Staff Writer for Rift Junkies.
    DAoC/Warhammer/Aion/Rift PvP videos@YouTube

Plane Touched

12 or 30 it really doesn't matter with the way pvp plays atm. The real problem isn't mages though really. It's warriors. They can easily stunlock you 100% to dead.

Rift Disciple

Getting rid of CC is bad as CC is a need part for certain classes but,

IMO once you have been turned into a rabbit you should be immune to that CC for 1 min.
    Thos goes for all the different types of CC. Once stunned, again you are immune to that effect for 1 min and so on.

I actually don't mind the CC in this game. Normally CC is OP without immunities because a very few classes have it. In this game pretty much every soul has some form of CC from snares, roots, mez, sleep, sap, stuns, blind, polymorph, etc. They also have counters to them in their normal souls. The PvP souls have an additional counter. It's all basically equal.
    "Meet me in the shadows and I'll show you the depths of darkness"

Remember getting Mezzed in DAoC? That was CC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast