+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soul Damage and World PvP

Shadowlander

Default Soul Damage and World PvP

Please, PLEASE make it so we don't take damage to our Soul for PvP death in World PvP. It gets expensive fighting enemy raids (like we did today fighting over the end boss of an invasion event), and discourages world PvP while encouraging ganking. You actually hurt enemy players by killing them, so it encourages disreputable players to gank low level players purely to inflict pain. At least if PvP death incurs no penalty, low level players don't suffer if targeted, and world PvP is more fun as it comes at no cost aside from time.

It... doesn't. As far as I'm aware.

-sigh-

Man I miss games with meaningful death penalties.

Whoops, wrong thread.

Bye bye

Soulwalker

It does do soul damage as I had it when my ghost came up when a rift event was exploited to wipe an entire raid. My character had not died at all before that time.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by BlackUdder View Post
    -sigh-

Man I miss games with meaningful death penalties.

Whoops, wrong thread.

Bye bye
    Why does a game need "meaningful" death penalties aside from idiosyncratic desires to impose a penalties to unspecified behaviours one finds objectionable? If death had no currency cost, you still died and had to run back. All the currency does is, depending on severity of cost, is make excessive death prohibitive (which can punish unskilled players purely for being unskilled).

All I ask is to not make death prohibitive in a world PvP environment, just like it is in Warfronts. To claim we need a death penalty for PvP in the world environment is the same as saying you should have to pay the same cost in Warfronts for each death as we should also have a "meaningful" death penalty there too, right? I'm sure you sir would enjoy paying large amounts of money for all your warfront deaths based on the quoted comment, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Teknique View Post
    Why does a game need "meaningful" death penalties aside from idiosyncratic desires to impose a penalties to unspecified behaviours one finds objectionable? If death had no currency cost, you still died and had to run back. All the currency does is, depending on severity of cost, is make excessive death prohibitive (which can punish unskilled players purely for being unskilled).
    Because risk = excitement, it also encourages people to learn and play smart, instead of clicking respawn then running back and simply trying again.

With that said, a meaningful death penalty in modern MMO's probably wont work to well though as they are all item, class, and level dependent now... thus playing smart and being skilled isn't always the primary factor in the outcome of fights.

Ask any PVP'er who's played UO and AC, risk made the PVP in those games bloody AMAZING.

lud
    Champion

No you don't, you must of been hit by a mob or guard.

Shadowlander

When in a raid on raid attack in an Invasion Event in Searing Gorge (I hope I got the name right and am not screwing it up with the one in WoW), two raids engaged the final boss. We engaged first, the enemy raid wiped us out and then attacked the boss. We came back and retaliated by hitting their ranged characters (I focused on them hoping they were healers). I was still using my bard raid heal spec so I was attacking at fairly long range from said boss, and also engaged other players after they had run back. Later when they were spawning away from their raid to try and run off, I swapped to melee and chased them down, letting the boss wipe their raid.

All of my deaths were nowhere near guards (only the boss, which did do the occassional AoE attack that tosses boulders at random players in a short range, none of which ever dealt me a killing blow), and despite being killed entirely by PCs I still took the penalty each and every time as near as I could tell. Sometimes I was too focused on getting back into the fray to notice my soul vitality was getting really low (so I may have missed if later when the boss died if I was still taking soul damage), and broke off fighting at 20% when the boss was down and they regrouped into a full raid and wiped us out. I ran away rather than risk more coin and whatever debuff you get for having a damaged soul (still don't know what the penalty is). Had to hearth out because they were sitting on my graveyard (right beside where I died) and were swarming the area picking us off.

If a player does all the damage to me and delivers the killing blow, the only way it could have been a PvE death is if I possibly got agro on said boss by my AOE heals ticking on players in range of it. And if that is what it takes to cause soul damage on death (agro on a mob), it seems a little out of whack.

I will say I had a lot of fun with that PvP. I just wish that it didn't cost me excessive amounts of coin (also the lack of a healer to heal said damage stung).
    Last edited by Teknique; 03-07-2011 at 09:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread