+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tab Targeting: The ultimate FAIL!

Default Tab Targeting: The ultimate FAIL!

Probably a million posts like this out there but ill throw one out anyways. What is up with the tab targeting system?? usually (more like always) when you hit tab it locks on to the closest target, but here it cycles through targets no matter the distance. Really??? This is highly inconvenient in melee encounters engaging multiple targets. Especially when you are trying to aoe which requires a close target to engage the ability. Anyone find any workarounds?

Telaran

I feel your pain. This is an issue in PvE too (though less time-critical).

Every game has some issues with this - tab-targeting always needs tweaking. It was three years before WoW got it "right" for example (for the first two years it had similar problems to this, the year after it had a bizarrely and short-ranged narrow targeting cone), and virtually every MMO that comes on to the market has to tweak it.

Hopefully the Rift team are aware that this isn't working in a very ideal or even very useful way, and will test out some other implementations of tab-targeting via the test server.

Right now all I'm doing is using click-selecting a lot (ugh) and I've submitted an in-game feedback about the target next function. It needs to be more predictable, and shorter ranged.

Most games use a circle & cone method for this. They have a cone, point inside the player, base ahead of the player (in the direction he's looking), which selects out to say, 10 yards beyond maximum attack range, and then a 180 (or in some cases even 360) 10-yard "circle" around the player, and target next cycles through the targets in those. I think Rift is using a "tab through every thing the player can see on screen" method, and I think that probably needs to be looked at.

I've always thought failing to check your targeting settings in the Interface menu and then coming to a public gaming forum to make a post stating that the Tab Targeting system is "The ultimate FAIL" is probably "The ultimate FAIL".

Next time, try actually looking at your menu options and if you are still failing to find your answer, think about the wording of the title in your inquiry before you make an *** out of yourself. Doing this might help you to get your answer. Otherwise, someone will probably point out your "FAIL" and not answer your question at all.

Telaran

Kanglish - Could you explain what we need to adjust and to what settings to make the tab-targeting behave in a useful way?

"Target Nearest Enemy" is F6 by default I think. You should be able to change this in the Keybinds menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanglish View Post
    "Target Nearest Enemy" is F6 by default I think. You should be able to change this in the Keybinds menu.
    Will that target someone who's behind you if he's closer? If that's the case you did absolutely nothing to help him.

If... if... if...

Pri

Quote Originally Posted by Kanglish View Post
    This is correct.

First thing I changed; it makes life that much easier.
    If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
    Old age and cunning will triumph over youth and enthusiasm every time.
    r e i z u n p a i
    <g r i e v a n c e>

Hsb
    Rift Disciple

You can change the targeting in key bindings. By default "tab" isn't set to target nearest enemy. So go change it. I haven't tried it since making the change, but it should work.

Trion should change keybinding for those commands by themselves. Or here will be more and more such topics

Trion should also make me a sandwich, do my taxes and wipe my *** after I take a dump.

^^

I don't think Ive ever heard a demand to change the default keybindings for any MMO in 10+ years of such gaming....

and Blizzard eventually got it 'right?' Oh wow...
    Truck/Malivak Warrior/Mage Vigil <Clockwork Transmog Turtles>

Many Many Alts All classes Faeblight +
    Located in Colorado, not Central WI. Don't know how to change it .

I'd settle for an option to only target players

Dear Trion,

If you could also have a button I push that tells me the best skill rotation to use so I don't have to research it myself and try and figure it out on my own.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread