+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bards. Playstyle and Spec for PvP

Default Bards. Playstyle and Spec for PvP

I was wondering what your opinions are on Bard and how they could be effective in PvP situations.
    They have a lot of self buffs and could have high damage output. I've been playing bard+nightblade. What other soul combinations have you seen success with. Please list their strengths and key abilities if you can. Ranged or Melee? Kiting or brute force? You get the idea.

From what I've seen so far.
    Bard gets life damage (non-physical damage) abilities which can be boosted with talents in the nightblade soul tree. This seems pretty sick because Power Chord is unblockable, unparryable and undodgeable. That can come inhandy at high levels. Also not to mention Cadence can heal the whole raid party up to 10 people based on your DPS. So you are supposed to have high DPS. How can we get that capped. Ideas

Yawn, I find bards pretty much boring to play with. Put your 30s buffs, and then cadence, 2pt chord and heal finisher. Ofc you can alternate heal finisher with debuff or pure dmg but still... Though compating with 2 button saboteur it's a hell lot of button smashing ;)

Still I find staying there and playing cadence somehow boring. Imho bards don't make big dmg and properly cc'ed and focused they die quickly. Also they lack of proper burst damage. Even when topping WF healing that doesn't mean you're effective healer.

Telaran

I find bards to be pretty fun in PvP, as you have to be more aware of your surroundings and use your skills more situationally that other classes.

Take all the Motifs you get, in the middle of battle they're all reaching 0 from the pre-buff, but if you spend the time and energy to reapply ALL of them you may have cost a teammate his life from not healing through the Cadence and Coda.

Also, choosing which enemy to Cadence on is interesting too, if you choose incorrectly it can become obvious that you are channeling heals and get you focus'd easily. Positioning and correct targeting can help minimize your presence on the battlefield and make you that much more effective. I'll often aggro a random pet enemy and cadence off it in the middle of battle so that i'm not generating any threat from actual players, and I'm pretty much ignored entirely

As far as soul pairings, I like to go as much crit and hp as possible, and am currently using Ranger and Riftstalker as my others. Riftstalker has a nice endurance boost and an emergency teleport.

Granted, when my team has enough heals I just go sabateur and wreak havoc

my dps is starting to go up now that i maxed out damage frmo Coda of wrath. this seems pretty sick because like i said it is life damage not physical and it is ranged. you can generate 5 combo points quickly with cadence and power chord then drop coda of wrath and repeat. I think bard/riftstalker might be good because of increased armor but ranger also gives 10% endurance so it is a hard call.

Soulwalker

I am currently playing bard/sab spec and works out pretty well. Sab is there if I need to do some damage and I am spec'ed for healing currently on the bard side. Sab is nice because of the adhievse bomb and the root bombs at later leves that we get.

Telaran

My rogue for pvp bard is bard/sab/rift. Rift is just for the tele. I'm only in the 20's bracket, but I find the sab instant slow great for getting away/LoS, especially if I'm cadence on a melee running to me. Probably later this will be less useful, but at least now I can slow them and get away (usually).

I find that if there's a healing cleric in the WF, my healing is really, really useful. But if it's just me or me and another bard, lots of healing that's doesn't really do much for the end result. Basically a Garden with a bard, healing cleric and another healer is just a bit OP, and a Codex with 4 or 5 (say 2 healing clerics along with a bard or 2 and a chloro or 2) is very good also. But if I find I'm the only healer in the WF, it seems largely more effective to just DPS once I get noticed and focused (because I'm basically going to be dead all the time if I don't).

I'm starting to lean towards Sabo with my Bard too. I had been running Rift, but I'm finding that I don't end up using it too much. Took just a couple points into Sabo and I've been finding it very useful. I spend a lot of time in WFs and having the ability to go from heal to AoE damage(preventing defiants from getting fang) or single target dps is pretty useful.

Bard is a support soul and never out dps a pure dps soul. Building around supporting your team is the best bard build and helps your team the most. Supplement the Bard with survivability and you have a good rounded bard.

i think bard can have higher dps than alot of classes simply because of self buffs. i disagree with sabateor completely because you have to build charges. bards dps is slow to begin with so adding charges to the equation just slows things down even more. im thinking more on the lines of bard/marksman spamming swift shot along with power chord and coda of wrath. coda does life damage.
    nightblade increases that damage even more.

Rift Disciple

In 10-19 I could tear it up with a bard/mm using the cp's from cadence to fire off a deadeye shot. Got nice killing and finishing blows that way.

In 20-29 it was pretty worthless. I tried more MM role and while I could drop mages and some rogues like a sack of rocks, clerics and warriors were impossible to kill. Maybe a pure bard spec would have helped the team more a that point.

Now Im in 30-39 and I think I am going to have to try something totally different.

yeah so bard seems to work good in the low levels but once I passed 30 it's dps drops hard. I had to switch to assassin / bard 26/26 to stand a chance. Actually this is more of a balanced spec now. I get decent heals, decent dps, run speed in combat, self buffs, 70% slow, stun, aoe 8 second sleep. As you can see there is alot of overpoweredness about this combo if it works the way i'm thinking. I think I will also be mixing in some riftstalker for the defense and attack power under that tree. It is interesting to mess around with the souls but when it comes down to it you have no chance killing a good warrior as a rogue. I don't understand how to kill warrior if you are specced in bard. I guess you can always slow them and run!

Soulwalker

I spec'd into bard/marksman/ranger. right now no extra points in ranger yet, just wanted to get the pet for tanking. so far its working out well. dont know how it will be at higher lvl's, i'll just play around with it. I will tell you that having the pet has been a great deal of help combined with marksman abilities, i've been able to take out mobs fairly easy. I havent tried pvp with him yet, just left the starting area with this toon.
    Last edited by Panterra; 03-17-2011 at 07:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread